Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #1

Toilet won’t hold water.

About 1/2 the time, the water I add to the toilet bowl after use to insure a good “smell barrier” leaks down. When time for next use, the bowl is dry.

I bought some toilet sel conditioner, but didn’t,t solve it.

This is a 2918 2501TS so the seal should be good. Any ideas?

V/R
rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

What model toilet do you have?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Please realize that Forest River doesn’t make everything in your rig. Just like the other RV brands, a number of components are used in the building of the rig.

In this case, like a Bubbles asked, we need to know what make and model of toilet you have. Probably Thetford or Dometic, but only you can tell us for sure.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

I'm not sure which toilet you have, but if it is like the one in our rig, there is only one way to fix it. We have to let the foot pedal slam shut. Works every time once we figured it out.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #5

Not an uncommon problem. There are numerous reasons with the most common one being the seal dried out before delivery. It’s irrelevant why because the fix is so easy. Mine was leaking down at delivery and I finally got around to replacing it last month.

Here’s the part you need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unscrew the main water line at the back of the toilet. Remove two nuts at the bottom and then take the whole assembly to an area where you have room to work. With the toilet upside down you’ll find two screws which lock the top and bottom parts together. Get a firm hold on the bottom and rotate the top about 10 degrees and the parts will separate. You’ll then see the seal so you can replace it. The instructions in the repair parts bag have pictures of the process.

In the meantime, after you flush the toilet push the operating lever about half way down, or more, and then release it so it will “slam” closed. Then, a gentle push on the lever will let water in without opening the seal.

By the way...be sure to shut off the water pump or outside water source before starting this project. Don’t ask me why I know about that.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #6

My 2018 rig has the ball seal and for no reason started draining.

I held the foot pedal down cleaned the seal then lubed it with plumbers silicone grease. It’s been more than a year and still good.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #7

ours started leaking like that and turned out to be this, ... the piece that opens and closes with the action of the foot pedal has an "arm" on each side down inside the chute, you have to open it to see them down the pipe, ... the left side arm had become dislodged out of its socket, causing that side to not have as strong a seal when it was closed , so the water would leak past the seal and empty the bowl, ... can easily happen if using a toilet brush to clean down in that area and not knowing those are there, ... just had to reach down into the chute and put it back into it's socket, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
Insert witty title here

After I release the flush pedal, I push up on it ever so slightly.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #9

keep the valve surfaces clean and lubed. It takes only a particle of waste to allow the water to leak out of the bowl. I use silicone spray, but other products will work and probably smell better
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #10

The plumber's silicone grease works wonders. Even if it doesn't leak, it is a good idea to periodically put some on the seal. It will help the seal last a lot longer. BTW, I'd suggest using disposable gloves, while applying it!

Turn off the water. Open the flush valve and then apply the grease to the seal (top and bottom). Done.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #11

I've had great results just using Vaseline. Two TT so far. Both would lose water and during winter, would never hold the AF. Wiped down the seal...with a rubber glove on...then applied Vaseline to the seal...twice a year...spring and fall. Doesn't lose any water, and in the spring when I open it up from winter...the bowl is still full of AF.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #12

Let me. Start by thanking everyone who responded.
I have the standard issue plastic Thetford toilet that came in my 2018.

The seal is holding sometimes and sometimes not.

I will try the pedal release/slam technique and see if it works consistently. I will also check for the arms. I will try the lube technique with a silicone based lube as well.

Nice to see I am not alone on this.
v/r rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
My 2018 rig has the ball seal and for no reason started draining.

I held the foot pedal down cleaned the seal then lubed it with plumbers silicone grease. It’s been more than a year and still good.

yep. get yourself some latex gloves and a rag... clean top and bottom of seal, then put that plumbers putty on it and poof... your problem should be over. That's if you have a dometic. Don't know about the thetfords...

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
I'm not sure which toilet you have, but if it is like the one in our rig, there is only one way to fix it. We have to let the foot pedal slam shut. Works every time once we figured it out.
+1.....we do this also^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOUSER View Post
About 1/2 the time, the water I add to the toilet bowl after use to insure a good “smell barrier” leaks down. When time for next use, the bowl is dry.

I bought some toilet sel conditioner, but didn’t,t solve it.

This is a 2918 2501TS so the seal should be good. Any ideas?

V/R
rch
Had it happen to me also. What I found was a piece of tp had gotten stuck in the groove the flapper rests in. Had to dig it out with an inspection mirror and an awl that I bent to reach into the groove and dislodge the tp. Yes it was difficult but it worked.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #16

Turn water off, press and hold foot pedal take a rag and clean and dry the bottom of seal. Put some plumbers grease on finger and apply to bottom of seal. Works every time!
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #17

I tried all of the suggestions here and the only one that worked was “slamming” the lever. Even that only worked a couple of days. And, at three o’clock in the morning it’s not nice to slam it and make enough noise to wake up everyone.

In about 30 years of having rigs with toilets I’ve never seen this problem until now, and have always kept the seals lubricated. When I replaced this one it was obvious the new seal was much softer than the one that came in the original toilet.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I've had great results just using Vaseline.
I have always heard to never use Vaseline on anything rubber since its a petroleum product and will deteriorate rubber. Of course who knows if the toilet seal is actually made of rubber. May be some other compound.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
ours started leaking like that and turned out to be this, ... the piece that opens and closes with the action of the foot pedal has an "arm" on each side down inside the chute, you have to open it to see them down the pipe, ... the left side arm had become dislodged out of its socket, causing that side to not have as strong a seal when it was closed , so the water would leak past the seal and empty the bowl, ... can easily happen if using a toilet brush to clean down in that area and not knowing those are there, ... just had to reach down into the chute and put it back into it's socket, ...
This is exactly what was wrong with ours when it didn't hold water. It was an easy fix. This is the video that helped me solve this problem.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinandLen View Post
This is exactly what was wrong with ours when it didn't hold water. It was an easy fix. This is the video that helped me solve this problem.
I now have motion sickness. This guy needs a tripod.

Good info though!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, water