We cross shopped Jayco, Winnebago and Forester and it came down to a 3011 and a 3171. The 3011 won out because of more dog sleeping space / floor space and of all things the garbage hole... Yup that's right, trash was one of the deciding factors. This forum was instrumental in the decision. We had seen the Jaycos and Winnies in person but not the Forester. The info contained in these posts really helped fill in the blanks.
We put down a deposit to hold the unit since I'm out of the country currently and we'll be picking it up shortly after I get back. In the mean time I have a few questions..
1. Is it true that I can extend the Forest River warranty to two years for an extra 150.00? If so, can I get some documentation on that to take with me? The dealer hasn't denied the existence of such an extension but I like to be prepared.
2. Does Forest River offer an extended warranty of their own beyond 2 years? I've been burned by dealer and third party warranties in the past and will not touch them again.
3. Is there anything I should check for or a service bulletin I should know about on this unit before pickup to be sure that it's taken care of?
4. Which TV's run off the generator? I know there is at least one 12V TV in the rig. I just can't figure out which one. The dang thing has 4... (The kids are happy but I could care less as long as at least one works while rolling down the road with the AC running).
5. That crank up antenna is not my favorite. Mainly because I constantly forget to crank it down. Was / is there an optional antenna/dish for this unit that I could get swapped in by the dealer and still have it covered under warranty?
6. If I swap the antenna, new holes might be added and old ones covered. How do you recommend this be done to maintain the fiberglass roof integrity? This is my first unit with a fiberglass roof so it's new territory for me. If making the change, even if it is prior to delivery, voids the warranty then forget I mentioned it.
7. Can I order aluminum wheels from the factory to be installed on the unit? Looking to hedge my bets on CCC. If not, who supplies them to you?
8. The dry weight of the 3011 is listed as 12,412. I assume that's without fuel but what about the options? Is that number a standard number for all 3011s before options or specific to the unit?
Sorry for all the questions. I was blind sided on my last RV purchase with extras that the dealer really should have warned me about needing (and could have made a pretty penny on if they had). Trying to avoid that this time and get the rig exactly as I want it before it rolls out the door.
Want pics? Well here they are as supplied by the dealer website
Carolina Coach | 2013 Class C Forest River Forester 3011DSF
CAN"T WAIT TO GET HOME!!!!