Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Tow hitch for a 3051S

Got a line on a Blue Ox Aladdin and a 8" drop hitch (not sure I can use that but can probably resell down the road) will this class III hitch work for my rig? Looks like it's rated for 7000 lbs. looking to pull out Jeep Liberty for now.
What is everybody else using?

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:50 AM   #2

Tow bar

We just got our 2014 Honda CR-V rigged up today with a Roadmaster Falcon 2 Towbar set-up. We will be towing it with a 3051S Forester that is currently being built. Also installed a SMI "Stay-in-Play" Duo braking system. We'll see how it all works out together in May when we pick up the motorhome at RVW in Ohio. Our hitch dealer said we might need a drop receiver adapter to get the towbar close to level for best towing.

Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:15 AM   #3

We use a BlueOx tow bar and base plate. Works great. We got a new toad, a 2016 Lincoln MKX. In fact the local BlueOx dealer is installing the baseplate on the new car day after tomorrow.

We were towing a little Fiat 500 for the last 8 months, but now we'll be selling that one.

We too have a 3051S. I think the Lincoln weighs a bit more than the Jeep Liberty. When we pulled the Fiat it was like it wasn't even there.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
We use a BlueOx tow bar and base plate. Works great. We got a new toad, a 2016 Lincoln MKX. In fact the local BlueOx dealer is installing the baseplate on the new car day after tomorrow.

We were towing a little Fiat 500 for the last 8 months, but now we'll be selling that one.

We too have a 3051S. I think the Lincoln weighs a bit more than the Jeep Liberty. When we pulled the Fiat it was like it wasn't even there.

Creative, how did that Fiat 500 hold up. Any mechanical problems ?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
I'm also towing a Fiat. 18,000 miles driving and 8,000 miles behind the Forester.
I love it, it's fun to drive, gets good milage. Just a great little car.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
No issues at all. It worked great as a Toad. We pulled it 8,000 miles behind our 3051S.

Before buying the Forester we pulled a Travel Trailer. I had a brand new 2015 Ford Expedition EL for my Tow Vehicle. We were not thinking Motor Home but fell in love with the layout in the 3051S. So after we sold the Travel Trailer and bought the Forester I was left with no car act as a toad.

We bought a 2013 Fiat Pop and while it worked perfectly the Expedition was too big and unnecessary as a daily driver. And now we had 3 cars to insure, etc just to use as a Toad. The Fiat is fine but not going to be my daily driver.

So, we were looking for a nice flat-towable vehicle to replace both the Expedition and the Fiat - when I saw the Lincoln on the FMCA's new Toad list I bought one.

Tomorrow we have the base plate installed and take it and the RV on our first trip with the bigger car - we're headed out to West Texas for a week before it gets too hot.

Assuming that the Lincoln is easy enough to tow and works good as a toad we'll be selling the Fiat when we return from our trip. We bought it cheap so it should be super easy to sell.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

KJ I am using a Roadmaster Falcon 2 on my 3011 towing a Corolla. No drop hitch needed. I also have the brake buddy. Picked it all up used for $500 from a relative who downsized and it tows great. Had a new Roadmaster base plate added and diodes for the lights.

My only issue is there is no dedicated power for the brake buddy so I am using a long extension with alligator clips hooked on the battery which works for now. Have towed about 4 times with one long trip of about 1000 miles with no issues. The Corolla tows well and I don't even know it is back there. Not many Corollas on here but I love Toyota and wanted to stick with it. Had a truck which I just gave to our son with 465,000 miles on it.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

When we were getting setup to flat-tow we found a Fiat 500 baseplate, a BX7365 Alpha Towbar and a full accessory bag on our local craigslist for $400 complete. Such a deal.

No such luck on the Lincoln baseplate. We paid $400 just for that alone. But the Alpha towbar is rated at 6,500 lbs and the Lincoln is 4,400 lbs so we're still good on that one.

There was a local guy that used to work for a big RV dealer installing baseplates that had setup a business doing just that. He'd come to your home and install it in the driveway - lights and all for $400. Unfortunately, he moved away and now we have to have the work done at the BlueOx dealer - they charge a flat $750 to do the baseplate install and hook up lights etc.

Tags
305, hitch