Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #1

Tow Rating question - Sunseeker 2300

Teaman here. ......... I read the thread on 5000# tow rating. Got some useful ideas but I have a different application I need to address.

I am interested to see if I can use the motor home to hook up and move my 30 ft camper trailer over to a self storage facility nearby. I am a full timer and live in my camper. I plan to use the (new to me) Sunseeker 2300 for about 6 months Summer travel and then Winter over back here in Texas in the camper.

I used to pull the camper at about 8000# OK with a Dodge Ram 2500. But gave the truck to my son. But I still have the WDH for the camper. I think it will fit the hitch on the MH.

I asked my local trailer hitch shop about this question and he said it all depended on whether the MH hitch was installed on the chassis frame itself or if it were merely attached to an extension. I need to drive the MH over for him to look.

As long as towing the camper does not pose a directional stability problem, I can handle being a rolling roadblock for a few miles locally. (I would certainly use very conservative driving for the move)

Has anyone else used the Sunseeker to pull a camper or big cargo trailer?
Teaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #2

Your RV likely has about 32" or so of frame extension in the rear similar to my 2291S. My hitch is rated at 7500 IF you are using weight distribution. There have been other threads on here about folks with older units upgrading the hitch to go from the 5000 to the 7500 hitch now used by FR. For a short distance at low speed.. it may work. But, the weak point is the hitch itself. If it were me I would check the torque on those hitch mount bolts and do it.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

I have to do my roof 2017 Forest River Sunseeker MSB 24. I was thinking of trying
flex (silicone). I like the add on TV and it looks good. Has anyone tried it?
Fritiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Or maybe you can get your son to bring your old truck over to pull the trailer...

Assuming he lives near you, of course.

Or, maybe ask someone in your RV park that has a truck to pull your camper for some gas money and a few beers!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritiz View Post
I have to do my roof 2017 Forest River Sunseeker MSB 24. I was thinking of trying
flex (silicone). I like the add on TV and it looks good. Has anyone tried it?
Fritiz you should start a new thread for a new topic.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Teaman,
What about brakes? If your MH has a brake controller then you would probably be OK.
Just sayin...

Tags
sunseeker