Old 11-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
Nobody is going to be pulled over for a brake check but if you run into the back of somebody you may be checked but to be honest I don't think you would be checked I have never been checked been in a many of states logged a many mile including Canada never been pulled for anything and I have never seen a Rv that has been pulled

i2015 sunseeker 3050s. 2007 saturn aura
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #22
The OP's question was referring to the legal requirement of auxiliary brakes for a toad. The 'common sense' approach would be to install them, I can find no where that they are required by law in majority of the US.

You can find 22 states where it is in fact legal to own piranhas

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #23
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
That is not correct in all jurisdictions. Break away brakes are a requirement in several states. The chart Here, albeit a little out of date, shows 37 states, the ones with a *, that require a break away system on a TOAD that exceeds the state brake weight requirements. A call to your local DMV will find out the actual requirements for your state. Take a look at Page 27 of the 2015 Motor Home Dinghy Guide for their take on the issue.

IMHO if you're towing without a braking, or break away, system installed you are looking for trouble. If you get into an accident you just may find trouble. Everyone is welcome to do what they think is "right" but don't complain if it comes back to bite you...

I just commented on your statement "required breakaway" and that is an absolute but just is not the case. Had nothing to do with just a braking system (good idea for most cases). There are plenty of braking systems out there for toads that do not have breakaway interconnects as part of their install. There are also plenty that do and if one feels the necessity to install one of them, so be it (I think even then it may be up to the individual to decide whether to incorporate it or not). Could be wrong on that one for those installs. I have a Ready Brake and it's a surge type system and there is no breakaway braking involved for me. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #24
Ready brake is a good system and very economical your cable on Rv to tow vehicle is your safety and that is all that's needed
Old 11-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #25
A friend had his toad leave the hitch. The safety chains did not hold and his vehicle took on the ditch and was totaled, a brake away system would have stopped this from happening.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #26
I think I would have a better chance of winning the lottery than that happened but it only has to happen once to beat the odds
Old 11-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #27
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
Most, if not ALL references to towing are talking about trailers....there is where I feel a lot of confusion comes in to play. Towing with a motorhome is completely different than towing with a pick-up or a standard vehicle. The question is the 'legality' of the matter.....again. .. common sense. Also, keep in mind that a toad brake manufacturer is going to say enough to try to potentially scare someone into buying something they may not need. I'm not saying I don't agree with the need for auxiliary brakes....I'm just saying it's not necessarily 'law'
I totally agree about the confusion between TOADs and trailers. Earlier this year, after we ordered our MH, I spent a lot of time researching different towing systems. One of my key requirements was to be "legal" in all States and Canada.

I found that many states do not have a separate definition for a TOAD versus a trailer. Georgia is one of them. Per DMV my C-Max is a considered a "trailer" whether it is being flat towed or on a dolly. You wouldn't believe the number of times I was transferred around DMV trying to find that information. And I'm still not positive it is factually correct or just someone's interpretation to get rid of me. Since there is not a TOAD "breakout" there is no specific GA Code regarding the subject they could cite.

After my research the only thing I'm absolutely sure of on this subject is it is one of those wonderful "grey" areas that could easily turn in to a "black hole". Contacting your DMV is the only way to be fairly sure of what is required for your state. Most of the info on the web is either incomplete, out of date, or as you stated aimed at helping sell a product.
2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #28
7 Year Class A RV'er
Toads do need breakaway brakes. See this discussion on here all the time and as I've asked before, is it worth it to you to kill someone when the toad comes loose just to save $1,000? If money is that critical, sell the RV and stay home. At 2,500 lbs, you do need a braking system and more states than you think will require it. Ticket you? Who knows. Find you criminally liable when you don't get stopped in time? Definitely!
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #29
Citrus County, Fl.
If this link was included in a previous post, I apologize.

This will give anybody a lot of good information on TOAD towing.

I was fortunate to pick up a used Roadmaster Falcon2 and Brake Buddy for $500 which included all the hook ups except the breakaway switch that was missing. Being a retired firefighter I tend to double up when it comes to safety.

As for the Brakebuddy, the little bit I have used it, it seldom comes on with my normal braking. I can feel the difference when it does though.
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #30
Originally Posted by MMulcahy View Post
i'm adding a Honda Fit toad to my Forester 3051s. It's about 2500 lbs. My blue ox dealer doesn't think i especially need a braking system. Since it about doubles the cost of the tow setup i would prefer to avoid it too.

What i don't know if how much risk i have of being ticketed in states that require tow brakes. My research shows there aren't many states where i would be in violation. What is the reality out on on the open road?

Thanks for your response.
Why would you (or anyone) consider towing without the added braking assurance!! Don't forget you have well over a ton of extra weight pushing you, not so bad if you are lined up on the road, but if you are on a curve & wet slippery roads, not good!!!

JIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote

tow vehicle, brakes