Old 11-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #31
Brake system in tow vehicle

For about a $1000 you can add the RVi brake system. It is easy to install and it is small so it stores easily. It plugs into the cigarette lighter in your car and doesn't need any sophisticated hook ups. Check it out at RVibrake - where passion meets innovation

folkertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #32
If your toad is more than 1000 pounds in NC or NY, you have to have an aux breaking system in the toad. In ID NV or CA the limit is 1500. Don't have a breaking system and you get in an accident, you have troubles with the law AND your insurance company. See this web site:
Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
I use the new RVIbrake.

dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #33
Everybody is talking about the "law" and requirements per state or province. We had a 38' Class A and had a brake buddy on the toad. It was for safety reasons that we did it. We would hate to get into an accident and not have a braking system on the toad. The way the civil courts are awarding damages these days, we did not want to take a chance. The additional cost was $1K and we recovered this amount when we sold our Class A. There is a difference in being smart and being within the law.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #34
I installed a RVI2 system with a break-a-way. Anything comes loose, i want to at least have done everything possible to keep my toad from hitting another car. The RVI came with the switch so running the wire was a no brainer.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
Law for pulling a trailer is1000lb but a toad is not a trailer and the law does not apply that being said it is safer to have a breaking system and common sense needs to be your guide put all the bull aside
i2015 sunseeker 3050s. 2007 saturn aura
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #36
This gets debated all the time. My toad is only 2200 lbs. I feel confident that I could have easily done without aux braking. But my wife said "No, we're getting it" and I found a guy selling reconditioned Brake Buddies on EBay for about $600. So we got one. Honestly I'm glad to have it. In a panick stop it really does make a difference that I can feel.

I'm pretty sure it's required in Texas where I live. But I doubt that anyone would check it...other than my wife.
2015 Forester 3051S
TOAD: 2016 Lincoln MKX
Creativepart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #37
Here is the definition of a trailer in Massachusetts:

''Trailer'', any vehicle or object on wheels and having no motive power of its own, but which is drawn by, or used in combination with, a motor vehicle. It shall not include a pole dolly or pole dickey, so called, nor a pair of wheels commonly used as an implement for other purposes than transportation, nor a portable, collapsible or separate two wheel tow dolly limited only to the purpose of transporting or towing a registered vehicle, nor farm machinery or implements when used in connection with the operation of a farm or estate, nor any vehicle when towed behind a farm tractor and used in connection with the operation of a farm or estate.

And the link to it:
KMANUEL74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #38
Get the aux braking system! Yes, it will cost you an extra $1000....BUT think of the potential costs without it, not to mention someone could get hurt....or worse. My dealer explained it simply... "Your rig can safely tow and stop without the aux braking system, but you don't want to be exposed to the civil/criminal liability if something tragic happens".
Bob and Veronica

2015 Forest River Charleston 430 RB
2014 Honda CRV

Harley2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #39
Blue OX "Autostop" braking system

Has anyone had experience with the BLUE OX "Autostop" braking system? It is a surge brake type attachment that attaches to your tow bar and activates the Toad brakes. I'm trying to do research into the many types of auxiliary braking systems to decide what to buy.
Anyone ever used this one?
Retired and loving it...Can't wait to get back on the road!
Just got our new Forester 3051S ("Farley")
Born April 18, 2016
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
Jim & Diana
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #40
I would prefer a system that is not as mechanical as the autostop.

Blue ox patriot is self contained, and when removed, leaves nothing in the toad.

Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote

tow vehicle, brakes