Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Tow vehicle ideas

I am looking to buy a new suv to tow behind our forester. Any suggestions? We like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer. I see a lot of wranglers but it doesn't suit our family needs. Any comments and opinions would be great.
Kc2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 PM   #2

We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee - tows excellent.
2005 37ft Monaco Knight (lemon Lawed)
2008 40ft Monaco Diplomat (too big)
2016 Forester 3011 (ordered June 8th - Born Aug 6) IT'S HERE
vwexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #3

Hint: A tow vehicle is what you use to pull a trailer or 5th wheel. You want to know about a Toad - a vehicle you pull behind your motorhome.

We use a Lincoln MKX as a toad and it works great. We have a 2016 MKX and really like it.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:24 AM   #4

Creativepart so glad you could clarify TOAD for me. It will make towing 4 wheels down so much easier!
Kc2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

We started out looking at used CRV's (2012-2014) mostly because it was an automatic that could be towed 4 down and it would be a full time driver for my wife. However, after multiple test drives and some research there appears to be an issue in many CRV's vibrating while in drive and stopped. It was damn annoying and even my wife noticed it which is saying something. After several fail's there we went in a different direction and started looking at Subaru's with a manual transmission to be used as a third vehicle instead of a daily driver. Eventually found a 2011 Impreza Outback Sport with 52k on it. This should fit the bill as it is smaller and lighter than the CRV and gets decent mileage for a full time 4-wheel drive. I am installing the base plate on it now but it will probably not be ready for our first trip this weekend so we may end up driving a car as well. As least this adventure will only be 200 miles round trip so driving a second car will not too much of a hassle.

Good luck with finding your TOAD!
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Tow vehicle ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
We started out looking at used CRV's (2012-2014) mostly because it was an automatic that could be towed 4 down and it would be a full time driver for my wife. However, after multiple test drives and some research there appears to be an issue in many CRV's vibrating while in drive and stopped. It was damn annoying and even my wife noticed it which is saying something. After several fail's there we went in a different direction and started looking at Subaru's with a manual transmission to be used as a third vehicle instead of a daily driver. Eventually found a 2011 Impreza Outback Sport with 52k on it. This should fit the bill as it is smaller and lighter than the CRV and gets decent mileage for a full time 4-wheel drive. I am installing the base plate on it now but it will probably not be ready for our first trip this weekend so we may end up driving a car as well. As least this adventure will only be 200 miles round trip so driving a second car will not too much of a hassle.

Good luck with finding your TOAD!

Correction- the 2014's and OLDER do not have a vibration issue and are the only ones that can be flat towed.

If you are looking at a 2015, some customers have felt a vibration due to the fact that it now has a cvt trams so connections are different and can send vibrations into cabin. I have driven many customers units and I can't feel the vibration but I can pick out other issues that they were not aware of (because it is not on the Internet). And there is a fix for it once it is confirmed- but be aware. One of the fixes remaps fuel map and may cause your mileage to drop and it CANNOT be undone.

We do not keep 2014- older crv's more than about a week as soon many people want them as toads

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Correction- the 2014's and OLDER do not have a vibration issue and are the only ones that can be flat towed.

If you are looking at a 2015, some customers have felt a vibration due to the fact that it now has a cvt trams so connections are different and can send vibrations into cabin. I have driven many customers units and I can't feel the vibration but I can pick out other issues that they were not aware of (because it is not on the Internet). And there is a fix for it once it is confirmed- but be aware. One of the fixes remaps fuel map and may cause your mileage to drop and it CANNOT be undone.

We do not keep 2014- older crv's more than about a week as soon many people want them as toads

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"
HM,

We drove about 6 different CRV's and they all had the same issue to varying degrees. Mind you, it only happens while in drive, engine is warmed up and you have all accessory's off. The fix for many people is too turn on the fan to the lowest setting to bump up the engine rev's a few hundred RPM's which changes the frequency of the vibration to something less noticeable. If you live in a hot or cold climate the fan is already probably running most of the time so they may never come across this issue. Outside of this detail, we loved the CRV and I agree they sell fast. Then again, many people purchasing these vehicles probably don't know to look for this or even care. In the end, every car as a quirk or two, this just happened to be one that we found before making a purchase so we made a different choice.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Sunseeker 3010DS

Anyone pulling a Jeep Patriot?
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
Hint: A tow vehicle is what you use to pull a trailer or 5th wheel. You want to know about a Toad - a vehicle you pull behind your motorhome.

We use a Lincoln MKX as a toad and it works great. We have a 2016 MKX and really like it.
Also known as a dingy.

Here's a similar thread running right now:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1253249

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc2427 View Post
I am looking to buy a new suv to tow behind our forester. Any suggestions? We like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer. I see a lot of wranglers but it doesn't suit our family needs. Any comments and opinions would be great.
We normally tow our Ford Focus (right at 4,000 lbs.) and have gone through the Rocky Mountains with no trouble whatsoever. We do, on occasion, tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee (6,800 lbs.) when we travel areas that have a more level terrain and have had no issues. We use the Roadmaster Falcon towbar and have the Invisi-Brake on the Focus and use a Brake Buddy for the Jeep. Definitely prefer the Invisi-Brake.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #11

GMC Terrain as Toad ?

New to forum and have learned a lot and sure I have a lot more to learn. We have not set up our MBS 2401 for flat towing as yet, but intend to after 6 months of taking only short 5-6 day trips. Looking at the vehicle we came in, our salesman said that it could easily tow our GMC Terrain. We generally do not carry fresh water and have weighed the RV at the CAT scale coming in at GVWR of 10,680 vs max of 11,030. With a GCWR of 15,250 we figured to have sufficient wiggle room to tow the 4,150 lb Terrain (with 1/4 tank gas) leaving us about a 400 lb margin before reaching the max. Just wondering if anyone is flat towing a Terrain (or toad of similar weight) with an MBS model, and should we be concerned about pretty much maximizing the combined weight limit? The CAT weight was with pretty much everything we normally carry (except the 11 lb dog) and with 80% fuel and full propane. No fresh water. Hate to have to get a lighter toad if it's not necessary even though it isn't our primary vehicle.
Thanks.
herball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamac View Post
Anyone pulling a Jeep Patriot?
I've seen a lot them behind a tow truck.....
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #13

We are newbies and recently purchased a 2401W. We also are seeking up a toad. Conversations with FR confirm the 4,200 lb towing capacity and 350 lb tongue weight. We decided to flat tow a Miata. Fun car and at ~2,400 Ibs keeps us well below the maximums. Will also be adding a braking system for the Miata and battery charger even though not absolutely necessary.
CarolinaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #14

Anybody towing a Ford Fiesta? Cheap ,light car that can be flat towed even with an automatic.

2015 Forester 3051s

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #15

Tow vehicle ideas

We tow a 2014 JGC. Tows great behind our 3010ds.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #16

I just bought a 2014 Subaru Outback with a 6-spd manual transmission. Getting the baseplate installed later this week.

AWD, ability to go off-road ( well, dirt paths and gravel driveways ), and light at around 3500 pounds.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle