Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

Towing Capacity

I have a FR Sunseeker TS with Ford Diesel Engine -I cannot find towing capacity even though it has a factory hitch that says 6000 lb capacity. Any thoughts?
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #2

It would be helpful to know the year and specific model of your motorhome.

What you need to know is the loaded weight of your motorhome. Take it to a scale and have it weighed. Subtract that loaded weight number from your motorhome’s Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. That will probably be less than the hitch rating, and thus that calculation will be you maximum tow rating.

Without knowing more about your motorhome’s weight, it’s hard to say. You could look at the label in the door jamb giving the empty weight, then guess at how much cargo and people weight you have added to that, but it would be better to go have it weighed.
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
I have a FR Sunseeker TS with Ford Diesel Engine -I cannot find towing capacity even though it has a factory hitch that says 6000 lb capacity. Any thoughts?
For a 2019 2380 it is 5,000 lbs.
alansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
Wait till next year...

According to Sunseeker brochure https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...erbrochure.pdf the Unloaded Vehicle Weight of a 2380 is 8145#( check the sticker on the door for the factory UVW) and your Gross Combined Weight Rating is 13500#. BehindBars is right, to get a true idea of your tow capacity you need to weigh the rig with everything you are going to carry then minus the GCVW and you have your safe tow capacity
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
It would be good if you could get more feedback from actual TS owners since your Sunseeker TS is a relatively new model compared to those on the Ford F450 chassis or the Chevrolet. Apples to oranges, in my opinion.
Ten years and many thousands of trouble free miles on our 2010 2650 Sunseeker always towing either a 3,500 lbs. dinghy. a 4,400 lbs. pontoon boat/trailer combination, or two Polaris SXS/trailer weighing a bit over 5,000 lbs. has inspired confidence in the big chassis rated at 5,000 lbs. towing capacity. And we have seen others towing even more on the same chassis but your TS rated at 5,000 lbs. towing is likely not the same animal. We don't weigh and worry with each different load. We did the weigh-in once ten years ago for a set point, as you should also do, but have found that the most important variables for trouble-free towing are proper trailer loading and weight distribution, proper trailer brake calibration, quality trailer tires, and wheel bearing maintenance.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #6

The original poster stated their hitch was factory installed, but didn’t give a model year for their coach or Transit chassis. The 2019 Sunseeker brochure (link in post #4) shows no hitch being featured standard on the TS models, and also shows no hitch as an available option. Also, in the specifications, hitch capacity is listed as “-“. I visited a dealer that had two 2018 TS models on the floor, but neither had a trailer hitch. One of the reasons we passed on considering a TS was the “apparent” lack of a factory trailer hitch. Perhaps it is available, but the brochure is incorrect.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

The Ford Transits don't have a ladder frame off the box.
Tow capacity on most is 2000 lbs only due to their light unibody design.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
Site Team

The Transit Connect minivan is uni-body. The Ford Transit Cut Away 350HD cargo van, used for the RV conversion, has a full ladder boxed frame. But FR adds frame extensions for the TS series that reduce the hitch capacity significantly. The Coachmen Transit Class C has a Class 1 hitch rated at 2,000 pounds. I had a Sunseeker TS2390 and there is no easy way to add a hitch, even the one Coachmen uses, due to the Sunseeker / Forester rear cap design and the frame extensions.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Perhaps you’re confusing the Transit with the Transit connect. Ford lists maximum towing capacities for the Transit 350HD Cutaway as 6200-7500 pounds, depending on the configuration. Of course, with a motorhome built on the chassis, the tow rating would be less.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...ansit-cutaway/
Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansgarage View Post
For a 2019 2380 it is 5,000 lbs.
I went to a dealer's website for the towing information that I posted above....

Silly me! It said 5,000 lbs towing capacity but I can see now that it is incorrect. Alan
Old 08-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Perhaps you’re confusing the Transit with the Transit connect. Ford lists maximum towing capacities for the Transit 350HD Cutaway as 6200-7500 pounds, depending on the configuration. Of course, with a motorhome built on the chassis, the tow rating would be less.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...ansit-cutaway/

That's tow with a bare chassis.
Look at the GVWR and GCWR.
Motorhomes loaded like these usually meet or exceed the GVWR.
That only leaves 2200 lbs available for tow in the heaviest version.

Read the stats at the bottom of that link you sent:

GVWR (diesel 350) is 10360 with GCWR at 13500...that leaves 3140 for tow only.

The gasser is less with only 1640 available for tow when fully loaded...which these are always fully loaded.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #12

If you are not sure what to tow with one of these...go look at the undercarriage on a large box motorhome...there is not much there. I wouldn't tow more than a small motorcycle trailer or boat with one of these.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I’m confused. If the Transit is unibody, how would Ford build a Transit cutaway chassis from a unibody design? My understanding of unibody is that the frame is incorporated into the body structure. If there is no body behind the cab, they would then need a frame to connect the rear axle and drive train, and to set the box on, would they not? I’m pretty sure they have a frame.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #14

My question is...."where did the OP go" ??? Must've found the answer and left.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I’m confused. If the Transit is unibody, how would Ford build a Transit cutaway chassis from a unibody design? My understanding of unibody is that the frame is incorporated into the body structure. If there is no body behind the cab, they would then need a frame to connect the rear axle and drive train, and to set the box on, would they not? I’m pretty sure they have a frame.

Of course the cab chassis has to have a "frame"...not traditional in the sense of other van or truck chassis.
Not boxed. Notice the flat mount sections on the topside. Not typical and not nearly as strong as other 3500 or 4500.

I also doubt that the rails are one piece...I would have to crawl under one to see...or if Ford mated the rear section to the front crossmember.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
My question is...."where did the OP go" ??? Must've found the answer and left.
My suspicion is that the OP was a troll. It was their first and only post, and there are inconsistencies surrounding the question, mainly that it seems there is apparently no such thing as a 6000 pound factory hitch available on a Sunseeker TS model.

Tags
sunseeker, towing, towing capacity