Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Citrus County, Fl.

Transfer Switch burned wiring again

2nd time in 28 months. Apparently the connections came loose causing them to overheat. When the original one was replaced I installed a smoke alarm under the bed. This morning at 7 AM it did its job.

Question....Does anybody routinely check the tightness on the lugs? Looks like it may have saved me some grief and expense.

Still waiting on mobile tech to show up. Cut the power and am relying on a portable AC unit to help us survive 96 degrees in Mississippi
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Team

I've seen very few lugs loosen on their own when they have been properly prepped and torqued. Provided of course that the proper type and size wire is used.

Most of the time when you have recurring loosening problems it's because the wire wasn't prepped (stripped and cleaned) and wasn't torqued properly.

Larger and highly loaded connections are especially prone to heat and loosening when proper techniques aren't used. Just tightening with a hand screwdriver usually isn't enough.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

The transfer switches were both Progressive Dynamics and the only way to tighten them is with a Philips screwdriver. The new one i picked up from Camping World only because they are across the street from the campground, is a Surgeguard and has Allen screws.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
Site Team

There's nothing wrong with the lugs having phillips screws as long as they were properly tightened with a torque screwdriver or torque wrench with the proper adapter.

Having said that, I like the hex screws better, but that's just a personal preference.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #5

On high current lugs I've used this:

Per the instructions you apply this "grease" to the lug and wire, working it in well, then tighten connections.

This product prevents corrosion which can lead to heat which inevitably leads to a loose connection.

Got a lifetime supply for $4.99 on Amazon.

There are other "conductive" terminal greases that can be purchased but most in the Big Box stores are designed for aluminum connections in non AL/CU connectors.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #6

I have found that if they replaced something that had burn't connections and didn't cut the damaged wiring back to good copper then the same will happen again. I would recommend that they either cut the wiring back to good copper or replace the wiring back to the other end that is good and not damaged.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:06 PM   #7

On our CC I removed all connections with marettes and soldered the wires and taped up the connections..Any screw lugs in main panel are checked
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch, wiring