Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Traveling with the windows open ??

OK here's another question. Is there any reason why you shouldn't ride down the road with the slider windows open in the coach?
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

Can't think of a reason not to, I don't usually do it. I leave my roof vents open while driving.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevinseve View Post
OK here's another question. Is there any reason why you shouldn't ride down the road with the slider windows open in the coach?
Unless I'm missing something here, I'm assuming the slider is retracted while your moving.

So what benefit would you be gaining if ventilation is what your seeking by having them open?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

Unless I'm missing something here, I'm assuming the slider is retracted while your moving.

So what benefit would you be gaining? if ventilation is what your seeking by having them open?
Well wouldn't it be like having your window rolled down up front with the sliders open in the coach?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
Can't think of a reason not to, I don't usually do it. I leave my roof vents open while driving.
Tks I'll try that too. Sometimes just a little extra air is all that is needed back there.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
B47

Quote:
Well wouldn't it be like having your window rolled down up front with the sliders open in the coach?
I guess it would - as previously posted,I can't think of any reason not to as well as any reason to.

Does your owners manual give any cautions about traveling with them open?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

No reason not to. Simply advise your passengers to "keep their heads and limbs inside the vehicle at all times" and you should be good to go.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

The roof vents are able to stay open while driving? I always close them. I thought the little piece of aluminum that props the vent open doesn't look strong enough to hold up to a 65 MPH wind.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #9

I have Maxi-vent covers on all my roof vents, that's the first modification I did. They are rain proof, never had one leak, even in a downpour. If you forget and leave a vent open w/o a cover, it is a mess.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
The only issue I ever had was that the air pressure differential could cause some sewer smells to come in...sort of the same reason you may not want the bathroom fan on while flushing.

But, even that is rarely an issue if the toilet is sealing and holding water properly and your tank vents are working.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
The roof vents are able to stay open while driving? I always close them. I thought the little piece of aluminum that props the vent open doesn't look strong enough to hold up to a 65 MPH wind.
The vents will break in the heavy wind going down the road, unless you have max-air type covers on them.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote