Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

Trouble with the Water System in my Forester

I've not had good luck with my new Forester, in fact I've had more trouble with this RV than I've had with both of the previous class A motor homes I've owned.

Last week I was out in my (still under warranty) 2016 Forester in an RV park here in California. Around 4pm I hooked up to the park water supply using the same pressure reducer and hose that I’ve used before. The gray water and black water drains remained closed. I took a shower and left the motorhome. All faucets were turned off and all three tanks were at or near empty when I left. At around 12 midnight my wife and I returned to overflowing kitchen and bathroom sinks and water running down the cabinets and onto the floor. Water was also leaking from underneath the exterior of the motor home. As it turned out, a neighbor saw the leak at about 11pm and shut the park water off at the spigot. The gray water tank was full to capacity and backing up through the sinks so I immediately drained it and began to sop up the water. My wife went to flush the toilet and the blue treated water immediately backed up from the black water tank and filled the bowl. I immediately drained the black water tank which was full to capacity. Fortunately, no black water actually spilled on to the floor. I spent the rest of the trip using only the fresh water from the tank and the pump. I experienced no problems using the fresh water from the tank. After getting home I tried to recreate the event by hooking up to my house water both with and without the reducer. Of course, I could not recreate the problem. Does anybody know what went wrong here?
RBrownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #2

Trouble with water system

Did you forget and leave your pump on.? If not it may be the check valve in your city water connection.
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #3

It sounds to me like maybe you hooked up to your black tank flush by mistake, filling the black tank until that water flowed into the gray tank via a common air vent. Your neighbor stopped the filling by shutting off the park water. You pulled the gray tank dump relieving the pressure for the most part when your wife operated the toilet the expanded tank pushed blue water up into the bowl.

The water pump was more then likely left in the on position from previous use and provided the pressure for your shower with you not realizing it.

Normally if the city water check valve is stuck open you will over flow your potable water tank.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

I have a similar problem. But my city water flowed into the fresh water tank, filling it, then leaking out onto the ground from the tank overflow. Mine is a 2014 forest river class a fr3 model. I haven't figured that problem out yet.
Ronfr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #5

Could the tank hose hookups be mislabeled? Sounds like you're connecting to city water, but filling the gray water tank. Might want to have that checked out.
RLedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronfr3 View Post
I have a similar problem. But my city water flowed into the fresh water tank, filling it, then leaking out onto the ground from the tank overflow. Mine is a 2014 forest river class a fr3 model. I haven't figured that problem out yet.
Your Issue is with your Water Pump check valve! Youroo!!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

Use the Water Pump all the Time

I don't know what caused your problem, but it is another reason why I never use the City Water Connection. I'm a full time traveler and always use my water pump and fresh water tank. The reasons are: 1) When you arrive at a campground, you never know if you've loosened a water connection while driving down the road. If you hook up to city water and leave the campsite, you may return to a watery mess. If only use your fresh water tank, you just turn your water pump off when you leave. If you do spring a leak, you won't end up with a big mess. 2) You can use your water pump to determine if you have a leak. If you water pump cycles every now and then when you're not using water, then you have a leak somewhere that is creating the "demand" for water and the pump is responding. 3) If you always use your fresh water tank, then you're always refreshing your fresh water so it won't go bad. 4) If you use your fresh water tank, you don't have to worry about the campground water pressure being too high or too low. The water pressure from the water pump is consistent every time. 5) If you are camped in what may appear to be a campground with questionable water quality, you can treat your water by adding Clorox to your fresh water tank. Using city water connection your stuck with the quality of water provided.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #8

I use Air to find water leaks,less cleanup,and you can hear the location! You can also turn Off the City water before leaving,like turning off your pump! We travel with Some Water but use City/CG water after setup. We also have a Pressure system so while on Pump going down the road or Dry camping we have Water without the pump coming On Every time we use Water! That is with the pump OFF! Now if we Spring a leak there is Water to clean up because the Pressure tank must empty! We still use Both water systems as Designed by the Factorys! Youroo!!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
herman

Mine did same filled fresh water tank check valve in water pump bad
duanegnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #10

Before you go too far you may want to check with you insurance. That much water could cause mold etc. and be a total lose. There are several youtube videos about this type of damage like overflowing toilets etc. Good luck.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It sounds to me like maybe you hooked up to your black tank flush by mistake, filling the black tank until that water flowed into the gray tank via a common air vent. Your neighbor stopped the filling by shutting off the park water. You pulled the gray tank dump relieving the pressure for the most part when your wife operated the toilet the expanded tank pushed blue water up into the bowl.

The water pump was more then likely left in the on position from previous use and provided the pressure for your shower with you not realizing it.

Normally if the city water check valve is stuck open you will over flow your potable water tank.

Sounds like a very good possibility!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #12

Whenever I leave the campsite and might be gone for several hours, I shut the city water off. You never know when some fitting might give out.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post

These are all great ideas and I really do appreciate the responses. The black water flush is on the right side of the motor home, the fresh water fill is on the rear and the city water is on the left side. I am sure I was connected to the city water using the proper port on the left side. But, could there be a check valve that would allow this to happen? The pump may very well have been on but I'm not sure. Sometimes if I hook up to city water without using a restrictor I can get fresh water leakage from under the chassis.
RBrownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

Water check valve

Where is the check valve on a 2016 Forester 3051 s .
We are hooked up to campground water but it fills our fresh water tank till it is running out of the over flow. The pump is off .

Thanks to all who can help.
Ron Flowers
Copikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #15
herman

It is the check valve in water pump to much pressure from water tank need check valve
duanegnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #16

Normally if the city water check valve is stuck open you will over flow your potable water tank. This statement is NOT true! If your City water check valve is stuck Open you will have Water Running out on the Ground when using Pump! Youroo!!

Tags
forester, water