Old 12-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #11

AncientMariner, same here. I used one of those strip surge protectors and drilled a hole in the cab. to place all my equipment. I am going to make changes. Drill some holes, run some wire, and add some boxes.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #12

Creativepart, Question- you may have answer my question before but the top wire on black plate cover goes to satellite receiver and the bottom goes to the TV's. Where does the center go? I'll write it down this time. Thanks Oh, are you guys using inverters for the receiver?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	96466  

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #13

Sagcoachdriver. Wish I had that set up, but mine is older. So gives me a reason to do mods. New in box for sat. and HDMI run for bedroom. Easypezzy!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #14

Prior to purchasing our MH, I was trying to figure out how to set up my portable sat system using and old portable DISH, one of the receivers from the house and an inverter. Had a good portable setup in my Winnebago. Unfortunately, everything is on the wrong side in my Forester. It would be easy to have an inverter setup under the sofa near the batteries. But where would I put the receiver and route HDMI to the TV on opposite side of MH? Overhead cabinet over dinette is closest, but on slide out on opposite side. I really don't know how it can be wired as my DW wants NO WIRES SHOWING.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Creativepart, Question- you may have answer my question before but the top wire on black plate cover goes to satellite receiver and the bottom goes to the TV's. Where does the center go? I'll write it down this time. Thanks Oh, are you guys using inverters for the receiver?
That center coax is the one that goes directly to the roof. That is its only use. Put a self powered dish on the roof. Wire it to the input that's already on your roof. And connect your receiver to that middle coax connector.

Set your receiver right there. Plug a HDMI from your receiver to your tv and run a short piece of RG6 cable from your receiver's TV Out to that bottom coax in your photo and you'll have SAT TV on ALL of your tvs. But it will be the same channel on all the tvs.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
That center coax is the one that goes directly to the roof. That is its only use. Put a self powered dish on the roof. Wire it to the input that's already on your roof. And connect your receiver to that middle coax connector.

Set your receiver right there. Plug a HDMI from your receiver to your tv and run a short piece of RG6 cable from your receiver's TV Out to that bottom coax in your photo and you'll have SAT TV on ALL of your tvs. But it will be the same channel on all the tvs.
Thanks Creativepart. Let's see if I have this right??? So top comes from outside cable or sat. Middle comes from roof sat and bottom goes to TV's. So if I use my old portable dish and connect it to the driver's side cable hookup, it will run up to upper plate connection where I run coax to the receiver input. The receiver output to TV will run back to the lower connection on the plate or I could use HDMI directly to the TV. Right?
My dish receiver requires 110v and uses maybe 150 watts. I had it hardwired in my Winnebago and never tried the 12v plug adapter, I could do as you did and just sit the receiver below the TV on the cabover mattress.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #17

You got most of that correct - I'm pretty sure you would have to use the HDMI cable to the living room TV to have any programming there. I think the bottom coax only goes to the bedroom/outside TV. Though I admit I haven't tested that. But the HDMI is so much better and it's right there. So why not.

Also, I notice that using this setup when I'm watching the living room TV the picture is inferior at the other TVs. But if I turn off the living room TV the picture clears up on the two other TVs. I haven't tested this to see if the same is true of the bedroom and outside TV. I've only tested them LivingRm > Bedroom and LivingRm > Outside. I have not tested Bedroom > Outside.

We pretty much ALWAYS stay at a place with electric. We've never boondocked or even stayed at a Walmart or Rest Area (where that's allowed).
Old 12-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #18

One other thing - the only sat receiver that works with the roof top dish is a model VIP 211 (or variants) and a model 411. We happened to already have a 211. And, the 211's remote is IR. So, the remote can change channels "line of sight" in the living room only.

I had this setup in my Arctic Fox Travel Trailer and I wanted the sat recv to be tucked away in a cabinet in the bathroom. So, I purchased a IR to RF converter so the remote would work throughout the TT.

This comes in handy in the Forester because it means I can control the sat recv in the living room from the bedroom. Which make watching TV in bed much easier.

As I said, I already had this - so I've never tried using the standard IR remote in the bedroom. I don't know if it would work. But this setup also makes it so I can watch TV outside while grilling and still control the channel with the remote.

The IR to RF converter has a funny single AAA battery replacement that you put in the remote. Somehow, it knows what button you are pushing on the remote and sends it via RF to a small receiver with an antenna that I put behind the TV. Then there is a wire running from the remote receiver to IR emitters that I attach to the IR sensors on the SAT Receiver. And somehow this rube goldburg system works.

It runs off of AC power and it has a charger built in for the AAA battery replacement and they give you a 2nd battery too. So one is always charging.

Here's the converter that does this: http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio.../dp/B000C1Z0HA
Old 12-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #19

Creative...is this a Dish tv setup?
2005 37ft Monaco Knight (lemon Lawed)
2008 40ft Monaco Diplomat (too big)
2016 Forester 3011 (ordered June 8th - Born Aug 6) IT'S HERE
vwexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #20

Creativepart, we are the opposite and dry camp 90% of the time. We hardly ever use the TV when camping. Our favorite spot is Yosemite Valley with no hookups and trees blocking the sat's When we travel and have hookups, they usually have cable and or OTA local channels. Last time I set up the portable sat dish was in Quartzite in the Winnebago. The DW was hoping someone wpould walk away with it.
When we ordered the Forester originally, we only had the living room TV and opted out for the bedroom and outdoor ones. But when the problem with 2016 production issues arose with the driveline, the dealer offered us a fully loaded Forester at a fantastic price. Must admit that we have used both the bedroom and outdoor TV's once in our 4 trips so far.
And we do have the Dish Vip 211 too!

Tags
wiring