Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
DnL

Tv-dvd problem

Help please. I'm thinking my problem is a loose wire(s) but I have no idea where to look. The TVs in the bedroom and outside stopped showing movies (DVDs) in color - only black and white. One day they were working just fine, and the next just black and white (both at the same time). TV reception is color - just the movies are black and white. Thanks in advance for your help.
DnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Movies are coming through the splitter via coax correct?

You may be getting interference from a channel closer to 3? What channel are you using 3 or 4? Might need to re-scan, check wiring connections. If you have the switch box you can change from channel 3 to channel 4 as well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
DnL

bclemens, I need to apologize. After I posted this post I realized how badly I explained the problem and how much info I left out. And then I couldn’t figure out how to delete it so I just did a second post (Subj: “RCA (TV) splitter box location”. Here’s the whole story.

The antenna and park cable are coax. The DVDs from the entertainment center are RCA (yellow, red, and white).

I have a 2013 Forester 3011DS with a Magnadyne entertainment center in the dash and a Magnadyne VCS-10 switching center mounted inside the cabinetry under the main TV in the kitchen. Two of the three TVs (bedroom and external) stopped showing DVD movies in color – just black and white. The main TV still shows color movies, and all 3 show color TV programs. I’m thinking there might be a loose RCA connection somewhere, and since it happened to two TVs at the same time I’m thinking it might be at a splitter. I just don’t know where to look for the splitter.

Another forum member responded to my second post saying his splitter box is behind the main TV. So now I'm wondering, if I get the main TV down from its mount (not a swivel one) will there be easy access to what's behind it - like a hole in the bulkhead?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Try turning Antenna amplifier off ( small push button on ant outlet jack)

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnL View Post
bclemens, I need to apologize. After I posted this post I realized how badly I explained the problem and how much info I left out. And then I couldn’t figure out how to delete it so I just did a second post (Subj: “RCA (TV) splitter box location”. Here’s the whole story.

The antenna and park cable are coax. The DVDs from the entertainment center are RCA (yellow, red, and white).

I have a 2013 Forester 3011DS with a Magnadyne entertainment center in the dash and a Magnadyne VCS-10 switching center mounted inside the cabinetry under the main TV in the kitchen. Two of the three TVs (bedroom and external) stopped showing DVD movies in color – just black and white. The main TV still shows color movies, and all 3 show color TV programs. I’m thinking there might be a loose RCA connection somewhere, and since it happened to two TVs at the same time I’m thinking it might be at a splitter. I just don’t know where to look for the splitter.

Another forum member responded to my second post saying his splitter box is behind the main TV. So now I'm wondering, if I get the main TV down from its mount (not a swivel one) will there be easy access to what's behind it - like a hole in the bulkhead?

Thanks for all your help.
First, you have to understand how the TV's are being fed.
The coax cable serves two purposes. It carries any over the air signal to each TV AND acts as the signal cable for satellite/cable/dvd.

The dash DVD feeds the switch box with red/white/yellow (RCA) cables. The MAIN TV in the kitchen is fed from a split RCA cable from the dash, or from RCA cables on the OUT side of the switch box. The box then converts that RCA cable signal to Coax and it is fed back into the coax stream (for bedroom and outside TV). So instead of the bedroom TV and outside TV being able to change inputs...it need sot be on channel 3 or channel 4 and then scan for channels to pick up the DVD signal that is now being sent over the coax cable. It will never be high-def based on that conversion.

Having said all that...if you bedroom and outside are being fed via RCA, then that is probably a dealer add and not a factory install.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
DnL

bclemens, thanks for the info. It makes the wiring make a bit more sense. As it turns out, the problem was a simple menu selection in the DVD setup menu. And, of course, no one knows how it got changed to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
dvd