Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

Used 3011DS any worries?

New to RVs, after much reading, questions, we have decided a Class C, Ford based coach is what fits our needs. Sunseeker 3010DS is on our short list BUT recently found a 2013 Forester with @4,000 miles and optioned up the way we want a new one.
So wondering if there were major changes 2013 to 2015 or anything I should be aware of?
I realize the coach warranty is over and the bumper to bumper isn't far behind being over. But the initial savings could cover most any repairs if needed down the road.
As mentioned any big improvements 2013 to 2015?
Thanks from the new guy...tough decision so many coaches

Old 03-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

I have a 2014 Sunseeker 3010DS. Not sure what changes between 2013 and 2015, but I love my 3010. If the price is right, take the forester and use the extra cash to send me some Leinenkugels down here in South GA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

I'll preface this by saying we have a 2015 sunseeker 3010ds not a forester but we did a lot searching and many of the basics are the same. Here are a couple of things I think have improved between 2013 and 2015. I am sure there are others but this is a start.

Suburban water heater changed to Atwood.
Hitch upgraded to 7500 pounds
Converter upgraded to 4 stage progressive dynamics
All led lights ...on the sunseeker. They may have already been led in 2013 on the forester. Not sure
Better (imo) radio/DVDs/navigation unit
Better sofa than the jackknife and it now makes into a real bed. Although it did require some mods to make it comfortable to sleep on.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, really leaning towards the 2013 but it is in storage and not available to drive for a month or so.
My big concern is any physical problems with the coach, water leakage, frame, the big costly items I should be looking for.
I am going to drive a new 2015 Sunseeker for comparison. In my case if I can save @$11K and I am fairly handy with repairs along with this being our first coach/RV makes sense to me...but have to get my hands on the 2013 to verify sellers statement of condition, etc.
GJones The Leinie brewery is 8 miles from my house...
Old 03-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

I have a 2013 Sunseeker 3010, there have been a lot of changes between 2013 and 2015, the latest Sunseeks have solid surface counter tops, a pantry more standard equipment etc. We looked at a 2010 used model and bought a new 2013 at rvdirect.com with more equipment for $6000.00 less than a used one. The 2016 models should be out in June, when we ordered ours it was mid-March 2012. We picked it up in late June by then the 2013's where out so we got a year newer for the same price as 2012! Good luck.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #6

GJones The Leinie brewery is 8 miles from my house...

Man, you guys make some great brew up there. I'm jealous. Good luck with your decision. Great rigs!! Just comes down to what changes you like and the price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
GM

Not solid surface...just solid surface looking.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Tinkerer and Putterer

I have a 2013 and the main things I've noticed that were added to the 2015 forester was the vacuum, a slide out pantry, and a built in knife holder. The front cap was also changed some time in 2014 for better aero and to reinforce a weak point where the roof and front cap are joined. If you search you'll see some posts about that seam failing for various reasons. Mine failed due to a heavy snow fall that was too much for the screws holding the two pieces together. When they got it apart I believe they found that the screws hadn't been fully screwed into the aluminum strip. I had patched it along for an entire camping year with one application of Dicor until I could get it to the factory to get it repaired. If I was considering the same floor plan new vs used I would check that seam for failure and otherwise if the condition is good there isn't anything else that would stop stop me from saving $$$ with the Forester.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:14 AM   #9

I will speak for the changes to the Forester because that's what we own but I think most of these changes are in the Sunseeker too. They made some changes to the electronics; the bedroom TV option has a built in DVD player and is mounted on a hinged door to give access behind the TV. The front TV is also mounted on a hinged panel that lifts up to give access to additional storage and the plug and cables in the back. They removed the switcher box for the TVs. It was mentioned already but the in dash radio/DVD/GPS is now a Jensen instead of Magnadyne. The TV antenna is different so it's no longer the crank style.

The couch and dinette seem to be more plush, it may be an illusion but if you look at pictures of the 2013 seating and the 2015 you'll see the difference. The 2013 is flat and sort of looks like plastic where the 2015 looks softer and more like leather. It may be appearance only but there is some sort of difference and it seems like there is more cushion to the couch. The dinette has the same look but I think the cushion is the same thickness.

The ladder seems different, I'm going from memory here because we rented a 2013 last year and just purchased the 2015. In our 2015 the brackets for the ladder are positioned to the right of the center of the overhead bunk and the ladder itself has longer hooks so it can be attached at various angles and can be left in place when the sofa bed is folded out. I could be wrong here but it seems to be a better ladder.

With the new front cap came a change to the overhead bunk, the headrest/storage areas used to be slanted and now they are flat because of a change to the location of the window.

There is a new USB charging station with a net for phones and MP3 players etc. that has been added for 2015. There are probably more differences but these are the things I have noticed between 2013 and 2015 3010/3011 models.