Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Valve stem extensions

Does anyone have problem putting air in the outside rear tires on their Forester. I thought it may be the extension, but I swapped them and same problem. Have come to the conclusion that it may be the bent valve stem, but after removing the extension I can check the tire and air it up easily. But I must remove the chrome covers to check the tires. Any comments would be appreciated.
5hfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Average Joe

Mine are messed up. I found that certain chucks just don't work with them. Also, they bleed air unless I loosen the cap. It won't take air with a loose cap, but doesn't leak. Crazy.... It's on my to-do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

On my class c, I had to loosen the extender a little to get it to take air.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
2012 Solera

If it uses the same Air-Flexx valve stem extensions as the Solera, lots of threads and posts on this issue - e.g. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-61794.html. Center part of the extension is too short to press the valve stem in. Some have found air chucks and gauges with long enough "pressers" to work, some (myself included) have trimmed the outside of the extensions to expose more of the center (either end).
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 PM   #5

The extension seems long enough, but does not accept air and can not make a good connection to check air pressure
Old 01-29-2015, 03:53 AM   #6
2012 Solera

Extension itself was quite long enough on our Solera. The piece inside the extension which activates the tire valve when adding air or checking pressure was too short so it never opened the tire valve, thus prohibiting checking the pressure or adding air. Corrected by cutting several threads off the extension, exposing more of the inner "actuator".
Again, suggest you check the other threads on this issue - see link in my post above.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
Commercial Member

OP stated it was the "outside rear" tire. On a Ford that is an angled metal valve. I'd rather leave it straight and everyone use a reverse chuck.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #8

These are the angled valve stems that came with it. I used a little longer extension and a different brand. These seem to seat a little better and work better. I see what you all are saying about the valve core not pushing deep enough to allow air into the valve stem. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #9

I took my Forester into a tire shop down here and had brass truck valves installed into the rims and tomorrow I will be receiving a set of wheel simulators so that I won't have to take the hub caps off to check the air pressure.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #10

How do you cut extender threads shorter to expose more of the the actuator. Having same problem of not being able to inflate after Campingworld installed flex tire valve extenders.
elabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

Had problem with air bag valve not sticking out far enough to fill with air had to buy another chuck with air pin sticking out further but no problem with tires

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-08-2015, 03:07 AM   #12
2012 Solera

Been a few years now, but my memory is that I used a Dremel tool to trim our Air Flex extension outers (last few threads) to get them to work. The Air Flex threads are plastic or nylon - easy to trim. Can't comment on other brands of extensions. Also (as noted in the earlier threads linked above) someone else solved the problem by removing the extensions and trimming the other end -so they would screw further unto the valves, again effectively shortening the exterior and exposing more of the inner "stem".