Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #1

Valve Stems

The valve stems on the tires that came on my new Forester 2501 are too short and not accessible for checking or adding air. I talked with my dealer about the issue and his solution was for me to buy the correct valve stems and then pay him to install them. Are you kidding me...

I agree with a few others I've talked to and read here on the Forum- Forest River should provide as original equipment valve stems, especially for the rear tires, so us end users can actually check air pressure and add air when needed without having to remove the wheel cover. It shouldn't be that big of a deal or that costly to install the proper length valve stems on tires at the factory. Hope someone at the factory reads this!!
stickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

We did and we do. I guess my question would be why they did not work and why the dealer did not try and submit them as a warranty claim? Seems like the dealer should be reading this.

As a side note, many Class C builders do not supply valve stem extension as all., or they are optional.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #3

Especially since the tires are often not properly inflated when one takes delivery on a new unit.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #4

I just paid $111.00 to have metal valve stems put on my Forester2401R. Same problem. Could not get to the OEM valve stems except on the inside tires without removing the hub caps!
t72par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

I think that would piss me off

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #6

I agree the dealer should inflate the tires before you pick it up. Mine had 50PSI all round, but the valve stem extensions work fine. Were there no extensions on yours?
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #7

The valve stems for 2 of the rear tires on our RV were so far inside I had to remove the wheel covers to get to them. I'm going to pursue this further with the dealer as I've been told by the Forester factory rep that elongated valve stems are supposed to be installed on the tires by the factory. Hopefully, I'll get this resolved soon.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #8

I have a 2015 2401S and the valve stems are long enough, but they seem to be a different size. I have tired every tire gauge I've got and I can't even get a Psss. Going to Mercedes tomorrow as they said they would look at it.
gottogo4247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #9

When I got my Forester I bought a the TPMS kit, which prompted me to take the truck to a tire dealer and have brass valve stems insalled on the Duels just like an 18 wheeler got rid of the hubcaps and bought a set of wheel simulaters and that's what you have to do to make life easier so just suck it up.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #10

Valve Stems Issue Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We did and we do. I guess my question would be why they did not work and why the dealer did not try and submit them as a warranty claim? Seems like the dealer should be reading this.

As a side note, many Class C builders do not supply valve stem extension as all., or they are optional.
--------

I took my new Forester 2501TSC in for warranty work and the Service Rep at Camping World - Valencia, CA told me that he checked with the Factory and was told that valve stem extensions for the rear tires are not covered under warranty. I gave the Service Rep a copy of the message from BClemens (Factory Rep) about valve extensions being covered under warranty, but he told me that the response I was given was thru a Forest River Forum and had no validity. The Service Rep said that I would have to purchase and install the extensions on my own.
Who can I refer the Service Rep to at Forest River to get this issue resolved under warranty. Taking the wheel covers off everytime I need to check air pressure on rear dualies is a real problem!!
I hope Bob Clemens will chime in and help me get this problem resolved.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #11

Brian, not Bob. Been there, done that!

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
Class C Representative

This is the number to service 574-206-7600. Tell the receptionist your name, location, and that you have a warranty issue and they'll put you with the correct warranty rep.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickers View Post
--------

I gave the Service Rep a copy of the message from BClemens (Factory Rep) about valve extensions being covered under warranty
As a side note, most statements I make are opinion on what I know about the situation. Every situation is different and without knowing the whole story I can only speculate.

Based on the message, I assumed the "threaded section" was not long enough and therefore would not accept an air gauge. As I re-read it appears that you think the valve extension is not long enough. My question would be what are you using to check the air pressure? Warranty only covers items that are a factory defect. If you can post a picture I can add more. The only reason for them to deny the claim is if the valve is working, but maybe you need a reverse chuck to check it?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #14

Hey poppytoymaker, I am very interested in you brass upgrade. Any part numbers or pics?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #15

Valve Stem Too Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
As a side note, most statements I make are opinion on what I know about the situation. Every situation is different and without knowing the whole story I can only speculate.

Based on the message, I assumed the "threaded section" was not long enough and therefore would not accept an air gauge. As I re-read it appears that you think the valve extension is not long enough. My question would be what are you using to check the air pressure? Warranty only covers items that are a factory defect. If you can post a picture I can add more. The only reason for them to deny the claim is if the valve is working, but maybe you need a reverse chuck to check it?
BClemens,
In response to your questions...
I am using a truck tire air pressure gauge to check the tires. It does have a reverse chuck. The inside dualie tire valve stem is so short I can't reach it with my fingers to remove the valve cap to check air pressure. It is way inside the wheel cover and doesn't allow two fingers inside the hole. So, I can't check air pressure or add air if needed. I can't figure out how to add pictures to this message.
My old Forest River Solera 24S had flexible valve stems for the rear dualie tires that were mounted on the wheel cover. They worked fine until the wheel cover fell off (not once, but twice) and yanked both valve stems out. I ended up with 2 flat tires. So, I'm not a fan of the flexible valve stems.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickers View Post
BClemens,
In response to your questions...
I am using a truck tire air pressure gauge to check the tires. It does have a reverse chuck. The inside dualie tire valve stem is so short I can't reach it with my fingers to remove the valve cap to check air pressure. It is way inside the wheel cover and doesn't allow two fingers inside the hole. So, I can't check air pressure or add air if needed. I can't figure out how to add pictures to this message.
Stickers, we have a tool at our shop called a "valve pal" just for this kind of situation in removing the inner valve caps. I don't know if it would help you, but you might can look online and see. I have seen different variations of this kind of tool, but couldn't vouch for their stability or usefulness.

EDIT: Here is what I'm talking about:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #17

Hey stickers check this out http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ess-87638.html

Seems we have like ideas around here......
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote