Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #1

Angry Warranty on Forrester

We recently sold our 5th Wheel and F350 in order to go with a new Forester Class C which is currently in production and is to be delivered soon. I am getting conflicting information from our dealership concerning the warranty that comes with it. Needless to say, this is not inspiring my confidence.

Party A says that the Forrester on a Ford E450 Chassis comes with a 3 Year Ford Warranty on Ford installations and a 5 yr/60K warranty on the drivetrain meaning only the transmission, axles and drive shaft are warranted and not the engine by Ford.

Party B says that the Forester on the Ford Chassis comes with a 3 yr b2b and a 5 yr/60K warranty on the powertrain which includes the engine, the transmission, the axles and the driveshaft.

Ford says that they cannot answer specifically without a VIN.

Forrester rep says that there is a 5 yr/60 K drivetrain warranty without specifying what he means by drivetrain which is often used interchangeably with powertrain.

Surely I am not the first person who has ever bought a new Class C MH on a Ford chassis with an interest in the warranty. This is confusing, and downright aggravating trying to find out what is the truth of the matter. It seems lunacy that Ford would not warrant their engine and I am sure that they must. Can anyone help with information?
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team

The best way I can try to answer this is a link for Ford to download your Owners Manuals and the Warranty Guide. See Here. BTW your Ford chassis will most likely be a 2016 not a 2017 like your Sunseeker.

When your dealer finds out your assigned VIN enter it Here. The Ford ETIS system will give you a "Build Sheet" with all the info on your chassis. This works for any Ford made in the last few years.

Between the two you'll have more info than most dealers....
Old 06-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Forester Warranty

Thanks. That is for sure. I think that I already know more now. I once asked a dealer for a direct sales RV company why they had a $100 charge listed on the invoice for an RVDA sticker. He actually told me that it was so that I could get discounts into parks, campgrounds and restaurants . I asked "seriously? an RVDA sticker?" He was dead serious. There are so many people in this business who are misinformed and uninformed or other
that I am tempted to get a sales job selling them with accurate info. I am sure that I am being misinformed to the point of embarrassment on this issue, but I just want to be certain this is not an anomaly to the RV business before I buy a Forester. What I am being told is akin to nonsense. And it is coming from one of the great big nationwide dealers.
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
Class C Representative

From Forest River you get a 1 year warranty on everything that doesn't have to do with the chassis.

From Ford you get a 3 year/ 36,000 Mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year/60,000 mile limited powertrain warranty (Engine, Trans, Etc.).
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

In addition to the one year Forest River warranty, the appliances, generator, etc., have their own warranties. Many are for two years. Check the component literature package that will come with your new motorhome.

If something fails during the first year, Forest River covers it. In the second year, the component manufacturer covers it.

The warranties, including the Ford warranty, start when you take ownership, not when it rolls out of the factory.

Be sure to register components with their manufacturers and the chassis with Ford. The dealer does not do that for you.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
In addition to the one year Forest River warranty, the appliances, generator, etc., have their own warranties. Many are for two years. Check the component literature package that will come with your new motorhome.

If something fails during the first year, Forest River covers it. In the second year, the component manufacturer covers it.

The warranties, including the Ford warranty, start when you take ownership, not when it rolls out of the factory.

Be sure to register components with their manufacturers and the chassis with Ford. The dealer does not do that for you.
Agree with you 100% right until part about registering the chassis , the dealer! is suppose to give Ford the in-service date of the unit.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #7

I won't disagree. If the dealer registered our Sunseeker chassis with Ford I didn't know about it. I need to check with Ford. Although the warranty has expired, there could be a recall or service letter sometime.

Maybe they told me that they would register it but I forgot. As I tell my dearly beloved, "Just because I don't remember something doesn't mean I wasn't listening when you said it".
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
Site Team

The way it is supposed to work is your local dealer notifies FR of the chassis in service date, mileage, and the owners information. FR then notifies the chassis manufacturer. I'm waiting for my Ford E-450 chassis to appear in Ford's systems so I can add their extended warranty on our chassis.

Tags
warranty