Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

Water Filter

I have a new 2016 Forester 2701DS. When we picked up the motorhome in June of this year, the water filter hadn't been installed, so I had the service guy install it. I've had the motorhome out a number of times now using both City Water and potable water from home.

I was out earlier today flushing the potable water tank and refilling it for use this coming weekend. I noticed that the container for the water filter was dry; no sign of water ever being in there.

There are two valves just under the pump. I discovered the one connected to the blue tube is what drains the water tank. I'm not sure what the valve on the white tubing is for (if anyone knows, PLEASE let me know). As you can see in the picture below, it has a short hose (with a cap on the end) connected to it.

The hose which seems to go into the top of the housing for the water filter is white. Does this valve have something to do with the water filter? I've turned this valve both ways and water doesn't flow into the filter. Is there another valve somewhere that I need to turn to get the filter working?

Is there maybe a by-pass valve somewhere unknown to me for the water filter?

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
THANKS!
Vicki

Vicki F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #2

I think the other valve is for the winterizing system. You open it with the short hose placed inside a bottle or RV antifreeze and turn on the water pump to draw antifreeze into your pipes to winterize your RV. There is more to that process, but that's what the other valve and short hose is for.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #3

Thanks Creativepart for that explanation of the white hose and valve. And now, I know where to start for winterizing my motorhome.

I still need to figure out how to get water going into the water filter though, so still hoping someone has an answer for me.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Looking at your pic it appears to me that the filter has water in it. If you could take a pic that shows more of the top of the filter and the lines there I think someone could answer your question.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #5

Your water filter is full. You will not see water pass through it. You can however see it fill if you start with an empty canister.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #6

Thanks SeaDog! To the best of my "vision" there is no water in the filter's housing and the filter's top part is behind the wall, so can't really see how it is attached.

Once it gets daylight here and a little warmer outside, I'll try sticking my camera up there and try to get a picture but I'm not sure that will be possible. I could hardly get my hand up there yesterday to feel around for a valve.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Your water filter is full. You will not see water pass through it. You can however see it fill if you start with an empty canister.
Interesting... As long as my water pump is turned off and I'm not connected to City Water, can I safely unscrew the filter's housing without getting water everywhere to see if there really is water in the housing?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #8

Yes, if you open a faucet to relieve pressure first. Notice how the filter looks magnified? That's the water doing that.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki F View Post
Interesting... As long as my water pump is turned off and I'm not connected to City Water, can I safely unscrew the filter's housing without getting water everywhere to see if there really is water in the housing?

Thanks!
Turn your pump off and relieve all pressure in the lines by opening a faucet or flushing the toilet. Remember righty tighty lefty loosey the filter can be on there quit tight. I would put some towels under the filter you are going to spill water. Lets us know what you find
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #10

THANK YOU, Thank You, Thank You both Bubbles and SeaDog!!!

Finally made it out to my motorhome this morning. Went in checked to be sure the water pump was off and opened all the faucets to release the pressure on the line. Then I went out to the storage compartment and emptied it so I could open the door to the pump and filter. When I looked in, the filter was almost half empty! SO, you guys were SO right in that it was full of water. I didn't even have to take it apart to see!

I thank you SO much for your help in "solving" my "problem".

Tags
water, water filter