Old 12-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

Water Heater Exchange

We have a 2013 Forester 3051S and want to exchange the water heater to a tankless system. Does anyone know if this is possible or has done this? We love the new RV, but had a Jayco prior and enjoyed the tankless system.
Thanks

PrimeTimes2
2013 Forester 3051S
2005 Jeep Liberty (toad)

Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

My 2013 Lexinton is tankless or so the dealer said.
Haven't run out of hot water when showering.
Checked specs??

Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
GM

We've never run tankless water heaters, so if your Lex is tankless it's not factory stock. We've looked at the tankless, but don't like the fact that it is propane only. When plugged in we like the idea of using electric.

Just an FYI, if you do have electric you can run electric AND propane at the same time and nearly double the recovery rate.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Thank you for the education.
Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
On another forum that I frequent, two well respected RV techs with years of experience say that the tank less systems are problematic and advises against them.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
GM

I didn't want to go there...as a factory rep I try and avoid bashing anything since I am biased...coming from others however is OK.

I used to design commercial buildings and we did tankless water heaters in ADA compliant bathrooms. If there was steady pressure, it worked OK. But when you're running off a pump, the water temp was sporadic. Especially when you shut off flow (hand held sprayer).

We are however looking at the Atwood water heater right now. Aluminum tank to save weight. No Anode rod to worry about. Electric switch on the inside. Routing of the heat coils improves recovery rate.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies..after ordering the heater and taking RV to authorized dealer, we were told it couldn't be done. We call FR and were told it was not recommended for our set up.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to yelhelp
I have a one in my tt that I installed in line with the hot water heater. My wife hated the FACT that to take a shower that she liked was not possible with 6 gals. I have used it only about 6 times to date and it is / was a little touchy getting the temp right. But I have been able to deal with that and one thing they say is DO NOT USE THE COLD WATER only regulate the temp by adjusting the flow to get all the hot water you want or need. One problem I have had , at some camp grounds the Electric service may give you problems . I think I would do it again it is nice to have a hot shower even if it takes a little screwing around.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #9

Hi Brian,
We meet at the Portland RV show. Being the 2015 3051s are coming with an Atwood water heater which model is Forest River using? Is it the the standard 6 gallon or the XT model? The XT supposedly produces as much hot water as a 16 gallon does in an hour with just the 6 gallon unit.
I have a 2015 3051s being built at the factory now, if they chose to do the standard is there a way to upgrade to the XT model.

Tags
heater, water, water heater