Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #1

Water heater switch light

If the water heater switch is on and the light is on. Does the light go off after the water is hot?

Also, are the water heaters on the foresters gas and electric? I burned out my heater element the first time out because the bypass switch was on and there was no water in the tank when I turned it on. I'm just paranoid now that somehow it will happen again.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #2

When I turn on my propane for the water heater at the monitor panel, the red light will come on if the propane doesn't light. After about 30 seconds, if it stays on, you should turn, off wait a minute and try again.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

The rocker switch lamp (blue) stays on when I turn the water heater on. The red lamp will come on when the water heater starts up until the igniter has fired up, then will extinguish. The red lamp will stay on if the igniter fails to fire, until you turn the rocker switch off (wait for 30 sec) and then turn it back on. If you don't have available propane it will fail to ignite of course.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

Thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #5

The electric element for the water heater has an on-off switch in the outside compartment of the water heater. Remove the cover and look in the lower left hand corner. It is hard to see behind a gas line. Down is on, up is off. It may have come with a small pin in the switch to prevent it from accidentally turning on (if no water in the heater--as you said--electric element will burn out very quickly.) The inside switch is for the propane burner. Turn on and the red light above it comes on. This means it is attempting to light. It should go out in 15 seconds or so. If it remains on, there is a problem with lighting. Check gas. Maybe light a stove burner to remove air from lines. Try again. Repeated failures will require additional service.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
The electric element for the water heater has an on-off switch in the outside compartment of the water heater. Remove the cover and look in the lower left hand corner. It is hard to see behind a gas line. Down is on, up is off. It may have come with a small pin in the switch to prevent it from accidentally turning on (if no water in the heater--as you said--electric element will burn out very quickly.) The inside switch is for the propane burner. Turn on and the red light above it comes on. This means it is attempting to light. It should go out in 15 seconds or so. If it remains on, there is a problem with lighting. Check gas. Maybe light a stove burner to remove air from lines. Try again. Repeated failures will require additional service.
That is all well and good up until 2015 model year. We switched to Atwood that has both switches inside.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #7

Is it possible to move the electric switch in the outside water heater area to the inside on the access panel inside the camper. This would be easier and less hassle to use.

Any thoughts ?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
GM

I think someone on here has already done that mod. Can't remember where I saw it, but I know it was done.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #9

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That is all well and good up until 2015 model year. We switched to Atwood that has both switches inside.

Does this include the Rockwood 8289ws? We have one on order and that would be great if it had an Atwood.

Tags
heater, light, water, water heater