Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Water pressure

I have a regulator on my city water faucet, a filter on the hose and another on the water line. I have good pressure inside the camper when I first turn on the water, but after a few minutes, I have just a dribble coming out of all the faucets. What's wrong?
jav28739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

here's your answer:

"a regulator on my city water faucet, a filter on the hose and another on the water line"

all those devices slow the pressure, especially if the pressure is already low from the spigot

in essence, the water pressure builds up when no faucets are used, but when you do open one, the water pressure comes out at a higher force, but slows to the more 'regular' pressure after a little bit. It's not unusual.

In this case, I think you can remove some of the devices in the lines and see what water pressure you then have...that'll give you a better clue.
Some folks will say that they 'never' hook up without a water-pressure regulator device, but we've traveled for years, 83,000+miles, and all over the country and Canada, including Alaska, and have never used one.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Your filters are probable restricting your flow rate below what your demand is.
i.e. your regulator might be 45 psi. At 45 psi your 1st filter may be reducing your flow rate down to 5 gpm. Your second filter then cuts that down to 2 gpm with the pressure reduction. Your demand is higher than 2 gpm so you only get a reduced amount of water flow after the initial pressure drop. Try taking one of the filters off and see if that fixes it.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav28739 View Post
I have a regulator on my city water faucet, a filter on the hose and another on the water line. I have good pressure inside the camper when I first turn on the water, but after a few minutes, I have just a dribble coming out of all the faucets. What's wrong?
I have all of that, too, and I have good water flow in most parks.

1. Use cheap filters. The smaller the particle a filter will trap the harder it is for water to get through. (IMHO) Especially once the filter is contaminated. I don't spent a lot of money on filters. And I replace both every year in the spring.

2. Take the regulator out and see if flow improves. The regulator could be bad or the pressure low enough you don't need one anyway.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I have all of that, too, and I have good water flow in most parks.

1. Use cheap filters. The smaller the particle a filter will trap the harder it is for water to get through. (IMHO) Especially once the filter is contaminated. I don't spent a lot of money on filters. And I replace both every year in the spring.

2. Take the regulator out and see if flow improves. The regulator could be bad or the pressure low enough you don't need one anyway.
Our RV had terrible pressure since we purchased it. During a winter camping trip, water stopped almost entirely so removed the pressure regulator. Wow, what a change! Leary of not having a regulator, I purchased this one from camping world. It is almost like not having a regulator, works great!

https://www.campingworld.com/valterr...ater-regulator
Old 06-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

What type/model regulator do you have? If you don’t know, can you post a picture?

Bruce
Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

As is the case in most things, you get what you pay for. I paid about $60 or $70 for the regulator I use and I don't have flow issues. Before, I used one of those cheap regulators from Camping World and water flow was pathetic. Get one that states it is a high flow regulator.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Many so called 'regulators' are actually restrictors.

Without knowing exactly what components you have and what the flow rate is of your filters, we can only guess.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Many so called 'regulators' are actually restrictors.

Without knowing exactly what components you have and what the flow rate is of your filters, we can only guess.
This! Youroo!!
Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
What type/model regulator do you have? If you don’t know, can you post a picture?

Bruce
Click on the hyperlink at the end of post #5
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Try this:

Fill your fresh water tank, disconnect from the City Water connection and turn on the pump. Check the faucets. If you have good pressure, the problem is between the spigot and the city water connection. If you don't, the problem is in the lines.

Personally, I suspect that you'll have the same low pressure issue even on the pump. Deposits from the anode rod in the water heater doing it's job can make their way into your lines and then clog your aerators. They need to be cleaned out every once in a while or else you're dealing with low volume like you've described.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Try this:

Fill your fresh water tank, disconnect from the City Water connection and turn on the pump. Check the faucets. If you have good pressure, the problem is between the spigot and the city water connection. If you don't, the problem is in the lines.

Personally, I suspect that you'll have the same low pressure issue even on the pump. Deposits from the anode rod in the water heater doing it's job can make their way into your lines and then clog your aerators. They need to be cleaned out every once in a while or else you're dealing with low volume like you've described.
There is no doubt that debris gets in the aerators and causes problems but the OP indicates they have good pressure for a few minutes then dribbles. If the aerators were clogged they wouldn't have flow, even at first.

Your suggestion of trying the on-board pump is good as it will eliminate the regulator/restrictor and the filter.(s)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Click on the hyperlink at the end of post #5
Why? What am I missing?

Bruce
Old 06-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Why? What am I missing?

Bruce
My bad My bad. I read it wrong AGAIN O thought you were asking.....never mind.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
My bad My bad. I read it wrong AGAIN O thought you were asking.....never mind.
I thought I read something wrong. It’s happened before.

Bruce
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #16
Cyber Phrenologist

Mine is like this one. Had it for about 8 years now. No issues. I like the "warm fuzzy feeling" the gauge gives me.

https://www.campingworld.com/valterr...re-gauge-combo

There's a little video there that you might find helpful.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #17

IMHO, you want a pressure regulator that controls pressure with out restricting flow. Most of the cheaper units control pressure by restricting flow. My regulator of choice....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	175340  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #18
Certified Curmudgeon

Well it has been 5 days since the OP asked his/her question in his/her very first post.
Time to start checking the obits for anyone who drown in an RV.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #19

Wish the OP would post if they got their problem resolved. Helps everyone learn.

How many turn the water off to their RV when leaving for a few hours?
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #20

I discovered that I had a lousy regulator when I left the water pump on while still hooked to city water. My pump is nice and quiet and I didn't hear it running when I used water. Couldn't understand why my water tank suddenly showed empty even though I was hooked to City Water.

City water pressure once it started to flow through the cheapie regulator wasn't enough to shut the pump off.

I think I'll just put the old regulator in a nylon sock and carry it in my pocket as a defensive weapon. Cheaper than a roll of quarters

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water