Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Water Pump

My 2017 Forester 3171DS water pump suddenly quit working. I can hear a click when I turn it on, but nothing else. Any suggestions? Also, any help locating it would be helpful I know it is in the rear of the Motorhome in the bed area, but cannot find it. TIA

Alan F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 PM   #2

Why it does not work could be caused by many things. Finding it is easy. Try compartment in front of the door side (passenger) rear wheel. Look for a hatch in the back of that compartment. Under the bed is another prime location.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
Retired and Loving Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Why it does not work could be caused by many things. Finding it is easy. Try compartment in front of the door side (passenger) rear wheel. Look for a hatch in the back of that compartment. Under the bed is another prime location.
Thank you. Checked in the compartment and there it is. Now, to figure out why it is not working.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
Retired and Loving Life!

We use the water pump when we are on the road , mainly for the bathroom. Yesterday it worked fine. Today, it did not work at all. We have a couple stops ahead (we are on a cross country trip) where we have no hook ups. Will need it then, but in the meantime I have a couple weeks to trouble shoot , and should be able to pick up a new one if needed.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #5

There should be a blade fuse hanging around the water pump. That is a good place to check for power.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Thank you. Checked in the compartment and there it is. Now, to figure out why it is not working.
Make sure the pump is not switched from the water tank to the intake hose. There should be a short section of hose going from the pump to the filter with a valve in the middle. The valve switches from the tank to the intake hose which is used for winterizing.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Retired and Loving Life!

After not working at all yesterday, I tried it today when we were in the road again, and it has worked all day. I will check the connections to see if they are tight. When I can, I believe I will buy a spare. Any recommendations?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #8

Yes- follow the link below!

https://www.amazon.com/Arterra-PDSI-...ustomerReviews
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #9

Sounds like the pressure switch may have been stuck. Your pump is easy to access and easy to find a replacement if necessary. I would not carry a spare.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #10
Retired and Loving Life!

Quote:
Sounds like the pressure switch may have been stuck. Your pump is easy to access and easy to find a replacement if necessary. I would not carry a spare.
Just curious. Why would you not carry a spare? We will be visiting a couple National Parks where we will be boondocking. I thought it might be good to have a spare along. Would you go ahead and replace it, or just wait until it fails. I am fairly new at this, and would like some guidance from those with more experience.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #11
Retired and Loving Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Make sure the pump is not switched from the water tank to the intake hose. There should be a short section of hose going from the pump to the filter with a valve in the middle. The valve switches from the tank to the intake hose which is used for winterizing.
Thank you. The pump worked as normal today. Not sure what is going on. I haven’t wknterized fhe Motorhome as I take it to Florida in November and keep it there over the winter. It worked today, but not yesterday.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #12

Between the water tank and the pump is a trap of sorts. Screw off the round plastic cover and clean it out. Probably not your problem but good to do anyway. All of the plastic string bits is debris from drilling the fresh water tank for the hose connections.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #13

Water Pump

Mine stopped working 2 summers ago. One day worked fine. Then at the end of the trip the pump would run but not pump water. I drove home and it worked fine there, before completely quitting. The dealer replaced it. One day this winter, I got bored and took it apart. Not seeing any obvious problem, I reassembled it and tried again. Now it works fine. I keep it as a spare.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Just curious. Why would you not carry a spare? We will be visiting a couple National Parks where we will be boondocking. I thought it might be good to have a spare along. Would you go ahead and replace it, or just wait until it fails. I am fairly new at this, and would like some guidance from those with more experience.
Sorry, I missed your post. I would not carry a spare mostly because I can fix most problems in the “field”. Another main reason is because the volume and weight. What “spares” would you carry? So I carry a moderate tool box and a tackle box with “stuff”. We boondock/dry camp often. It’s really not a problem. I do carry a pump that is powered by my cordless drill driver. Can fill bucket from the FW tank drain.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #15
Retired and Loving Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Mine stopped working 2 summers ago. One day worked fine. Then at the end of the trip the pump would run but not pump water. I drove home and it worked fine there, before completely quitting. The dealer replaced it. One day this winter, I got bored and took it apart. Not seeing any obvious problem, I reassembled it and tried again. Now it works fine. I keep it as a spare.
Interesting. Mine seems to be working fine now. Not sure what the problem was.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #16
Retired and Loving Life!

Quote:
Sorry, I missed your post. I would not carry a spare mostly because I can fix most problems in the “field”. Another main reason is because the volume and weight. What “spares” would you carry? So I carry a moderate tool box and a tackle box with “stuff”. We boondock/dry camp often. It’s really not a problem. I do carry a pump that is powered by my cordless drill driver. Can fill bucket from the FW tank drain.
Understand. The water pump seems to be working fine now. Got a gallon jug to keep water by the toilet just in case. Hoping for the best.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #17

I had the same issue last summer. Didn't work for 2 days then suddenly it began to work. Guess all is good
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #18

The shur-flo is pretty simple. Aside from a loose connection, the intermittent operation can be caused by the pressure switch. Being old school, I am not beyond whacking it (lightly) with a screwdriver handle. It has worked!

Tags
pump, water, water pump