Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Water pump

When running on own power, my water pump will periodically come on for on second without turning on a faucet. Is this something normal or something to worry about?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
shenry4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

Mine does that also. I have searched for any signs of leaks, and there's none to be found. Interested to see what folks say

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Water pump

It says to me that there could be quite a bit of air in your system or you have a leak someplace. With the pump on open your low point drains to let any air out.

Check all your basement bays for water on the floors. Under the sinks . Behind the washer if you have one

And to answer I don't figure that normal.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #4

I have had two trailers and both have done the exact same thing. I have looked everywhere for a leak and have been unable to locate. I just shut the pump off if I leave the trailer or when going to bed.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

I have never tried opening the low point drains and water pump on. I guess I should give that a try.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #6

This often happens with our coach when the water heater is hot, but I have turned it off for the night. The water pump will run briefly when the hot water cools. The air pocket in the water heater contracts as it cools and the water pressure goes down.

The opposite can occur if you run water and cause the water pump to run when the water heater temperature is low, like after washing dishes. With the system already at full pressure, as the water heater temperature rises, the expanding water and air pocket increase the pressure. This can cause the water heater relief valve to leak a little. Often this high pressure makes it difficult to open the water valve on the toilet. I'll have to crack open the sink faucet to relieve the pressure so I can open the toilet valve.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #7

My guess is the pump check valve is leaking back to the tank. Not an uncommon problem and most people notice it when on city water and the on-board tank level goes up over time. It doesn't take much of a leak to cause the pump to cycle. You could remove the hose on the pump inlet and check for leakage. Probably just a slow drip. The pump is usually behind the panel to the left of the water filter.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenry4244 View Post
When running on own power, my water pump will periodically come on for on second without turning on a faucet. Is this something normal or something to worry about?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Is this something to worry about? If you have a slow leak somewhere that will turn into a big leak, then, yes, you should worry about it.

The reason that the pump comes on is because the pump senses a loss of back pressure. Pump comes on and feels back pressure and then will shut off.

Why are you loosing 'back pressure'? could be almost any place that that is almost unnoticeable.
Just some guesses, around the pump, any air pocket , any facet, hot water release valve/drain, very slow toilet leak. None of these 'slow' leaks may never grow any larger for the life time that you own the unit. You may not or will not ever find the cause of the water pressure leak.

What I do is just shut the pump off and when I need water I will turn it on.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump