Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #1

Water pump issue?

4 year old rig.
Pump is a Shurflo 4008-101-A65 (pretty common I think).
Went to turn it on the other day...nothing. Check wires, breakers and fuses. Fuse on the pump looked good...removed it and put it back in. Tried it again- pump works ok. Seems like just a glitch. Now I did have the pump once turn off, I believe the thermal switch sensed the water was too hot and went off for about 30 minutes. Then worked good again.
I have since fixed that issue by attaching an adjustable thermostat to the hot water heater and turned it down.

Now I know these Shurflo pumps are usually pretty solid and last for years...I wonder if I should put out the $60 and get a backup. Hate to hurt a trip of dry camping with a bad water pump and no means to fix it.

Anyone keep a spare on hand?

(probably answered my own question and will get another unit but looking for feedback)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

Should not be any hot water running through the water pump. Water pump is fed by the fresh water tank and that should not be hot. Water is pushed into and out of the water heater when you turn on a faucet.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Should not be any hot water running through the water pump. Water pump is fed by the fresh water tank and that should not be hot. Water is pushed into and out of the water heater when you turn on a faucet.

Makes sense...just never really looked at the plumbing...wonder what happened last time?
I had just taken a shower...maybe the water pump just worked too long and overheated???

Tags
forester, pump, water, water pump