Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Water runs off roof into the cab

We have a 2014 27 foot Forester MH.
Our only problem, that I am asking for some help on is when it is raining, you can’t get in or out of the driver or passenger side doors without rain draining off the motor home rain gutters onto the inside of the doors where the electrical components that control the windows and door locking mechanism are. Water and electricity do not mix. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening.
rhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

Same problem in my 2016 3011 DS. Tried aftermarket gutter extensions. They didn't fit. Even if they had, water would still drip inside the door. I noticed that the 2017 model has a gutter extension!

Forester 3011DS
Rvrphdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Agree. Same problem in my 2017 2401W Forester MBS. Any ideas for after market solutions?

Kelly & Mary Beth
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
Old 09-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Chief tinkerer

Common. The extensions move it out a few inches which aligns with the fully open door. Haven't seen anything other than someone put a short section of hose over the extension to move it a couple of more inches. I just try to minimize the time I keave leave it open.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

This is a pretty common complaint with about any Class C. Even the AC condensation will run off. The rain will also enter the forward bunk windows if they are open. I have been considering putting diverters on the roof edge to run the water behind the doors.

There is also self adhesive guttering kits available. They are a bit pricey and not sure how well they would adhere or if they could handle a downpour.

Hopefully one of our ingenious members has the answer.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #6

If it is really pouring we use the cabin door rather than the front doors.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Problem is, unless the gutter is 48"...there's no good solution. We tried short extension, long extension, no extension in the front (just the rear) and ALL of them fail depending on the amount of rain you get.

One would work perfectly, until the rain intensity changed. In a hard rain one worked better than the other, but it was the opposite in a soft rain.

We started researched a 2-way gutter....but the way the the two ends had to come together and slope, it didn't look that good, or appear to seal that well. Might go back to the drawing board.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

If it wasn't for the design of C class units where they put a house on top of a Chevrolet, or Ford, or whatever van chassis, you wouldn't have doors immediately beside the driver and passenger seats.

A class units typically have just one house door.

For the times it's happening, just exit from the house door. And....if you have an electric awning, you can put that out to stay dry when leaving that way.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #9

Looks to be the nature of the beast, my '08 3100 had short extensions and they hit the inside of the door right ahead of the switches, my '16 3050s has longer extensions and they are a perfect hit on the switches...just have to remember to use the house door or park uphill...
Old 09-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

Clear tubing

Seems like every trip during our 1st year in the new Forester . . . rain, rain, rain ! ! Added a 6" clear tube over the end of the gutter and put on screw in it to hold everything in place. No more rain (or AC) in our door switches.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post

Our only problem, that I am asking for some help on is when it is raining, you can’t get in or out of the driver or passenger side doors without rain draining off the motor home rain gutters onto the inside of the doors where the electrical components that control the windows and door locking mechanism are. Water and electricity do not mix. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening.

Class "C's" have a bad habit with leaking in the fwd/bunk- entertainment area, if you suspect more than the gutters with open doors in the rain:

If you don't find the source you can destroy the cabover in a couple of years, it happened to me. I learned since then a easy way to find the leak is to connect a axial blower to plastic ducting sealed to a roof vent. Seal up the coach and start the fan, takes only a few minutes to build up a air pressure just a few inches of water column. Using a water soap solution (windex) spray all seams, running lights, window frames etc. you'll find the source. The windex will indicate as a small bubble foam.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #12

Water runs off roof into the cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post

Same problem with mine. Considered a piece of plastic over the switches but we just try to squeeze out the door so the water runs down the outside of the door. Interested to see if anyone has a better idea.

RHamilton - Just curious. Is your 27' Forester a 2451S? Don't see many of them.

Forester 2451s

Tags
roo, roof, water