Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Weight Issue

Does anyone else have this problem & if so, do you have any suggestions? I have not taken my 2017 Forester Sprinter on a trip yet but by all my calculations I have a weight problem. The GVWR is 11,030 lbs. I recently weighed the coach empty (except for 1/4 tank of diesel fuel and a full propane tank) and it weighs 9935 lbs. This would leave me only 1095 lbs. available for two passengers (325 lbs total), approx. 136 lbs of additional diesel to fill the tank. Then there are: supplies, tools, clothing, food, at least some water in the water tank. And down the road there will be the weight of the black and gray tanks when they begin filling. This coach has tons of storage in the basement; unfortunately much of the storage space will go unused. According to the rep, the coach should not weigh more than 11030 lbs. when loaded. In the past, I have read that a large percentage of RV's rolling down the road are overloaded. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks--- Rob

Rozinbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

What is your door stickers say for your max weight? It may very well be the 11k #. But you are finding that while you have tons of room you will more than likely run out of weight before you run out of room. 1000lbs seems like a lot but it is amazing how quick it adds up.

EDIT: Welcome aboard!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Don't forget that 11K incs hitch weight.
One of the reasons I did not buy an MBZ although I like them very much.
I carry too much crap.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

I like to post this in this type of thread. It's sort of a wake-up call for those in the OPs situation and others that may not look at a prospective RVs cargo capacity.

This is from a NHTSA Q&A PDF document.

"The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use."
Old 03-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #5

Is it 11lbs or kg?
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #6

I was worried about being able to load what we like to carry into our 3051S, but only after delivery and finally reading the spec sheet. A lot of room for storage but not a lot cargo carrying capacity.
I weighed it on the way home from the dealer with stuff from out traded travel trailer, took it home and started deciding what I really need to carry. Unloaded some but added other "necessities", 55 gal of gasoline, full propane, 1/3 tank fresh water, black & grey empty.
Back to the scale. Front axle max 5000, weight with 2 people and 2 small dogs, 4960. Rear axle max 9600, weighed 9580. Gonna have to unload some more if we get a tow dolly. Not crazy about running at maximum specifications but I incorrectly assumed that surely it could easily carry everything we could throw at it. My fault as I let emotion override my usual researching everything ad nauseum.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
I was worried about being able to load what we like to carry into our 3051S, but only after delivery and finally reading the spec sheet. A lot of room for storage but not a lot cargo carrying capacity.
I weighed it on the way home from the dealer with stuff from out traded travel trailer, took it home and started deciding what I really need to carry. Unloaded some but added other "necessities", 55 gal of gasoline, full propane, 1/3 tank fresh water, black & grey empty.
Back to the scale. Front axle max 5000, weight with 2 people and 2 small dogs, 4960. Rear axle max 9600, weighed 9580. Gonna have to unload some more if we get a tow dolly. Not crazy about running at maximum specifications but I incorrectly assumed that surely it could easily carry everything we could throw at it. My fault as I let emotion override my usual researching everything ad nauseum.
You really need to weigh each tire position load. Seldom will the weight across an axle be evenly distributed. Your axles can be way over on one side and way under on the other side giving a false indication that you haven't overloaded the axle, and you may not have but you could have overloaded individual tires.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #8

Thank you. I heartily agree. 2 scales that I've used were not set up so I could do that. I found one that has four weighing segments that I hope to try on the way home from our present short trip. It has room for me to weigh 2 wheels on one side, then turn around and do the other 2. I've attempted to distribute evenly but a full wall slide has to be heavier than the other side.

Tags
weight