Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

What to do with black tank on last day

This is a general question for anyone with a motorhome. Suppose it's our last day of vacation, and we have a long drive home (let's say 9-10 hours as an example). Assuming we've dumped our black tank at the campground before we left, what happens if we want to use our toilet on the long trip home? Does anyone do that? If so, where do you dump again once you get home? Or is it best to just not use the toilet at all on the drive home? Any tips? Thanks!
mwietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #2

We dump for the last time as close to our home as the last rest stop on I80 in iowa. After we dump, we do not use out stool until the next trip.
If you need to use the facilities after dumping, find a truck stop or a rest stop!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

It's always good to have some liquid in the tank to keep solids of any sort from becoming hard. I have used the Geo Method over the last year and have not had a problem except for faulty sensor reading, which is common. This year I am going to try something different. When I get home I will fill the tank and put some Microbes in it to dissolve all solids that might might be clinging to the probes or walls.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #4

Luckily there's a dump station at our storage facility
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

I dump in the sanitary sewer in front of my house. We're on a residential loop street with little traffic. Gives me a chance to really flush the tanks. A plus is the street slopes toward the dump valve side so it drains well.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #6

Unless it's the last trip of the season i don't worry about it. Use the toilet if we need to. It won't hurt to let it sit. I do make sure I have lots of water in the tank so it does not dry out.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
Unless it's the last trip of the season i don't worry about it. Use the toilet if we need to. It won't hurt to let it sit. I do make sure I have lots of water in the tank so it does not dry out.
Same here.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Agree with the Geo method (I use full bottle of softener) when closing up for the season. Additionally, I put RV Antifreeze in the tanks.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Try a portable macerator pump. Use the facilities as often as you like and pump out the tank when you get home.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
X3

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #11

Quote:
X4

There's a product for swimming pools called Pool Perfect that is amino acids or also known as enzymes.
This stuff works wonders for pools to break down oils etc...
It might work to help break down stuff in your black tank.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
RBR

Many places to dump in my area. I use Cabela's they have a dump station right in their parking lot. You can also check with local sewage plants many let you dump or check last rest stop closes to home with dump station . Flying J stations also have dump stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #13

I use mine on the last day of a trip for #1 only until I get home. When I get home, I dump, spray out the tank with my onboard spray system, put about ½ a gallon of fresh water in the tank and call it a day.
Appleguy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #14

Unique RV-Digest works well also. I have used my macerator pump as well and have used a bucket to drain until full and then deposit in the toilet in the house. You get used to the smell...use rubber gloves if you are clumsy while carrying the bucket.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #15

Make it easier

Buy yourself a porta potty and use it! I HATE rest areas and dreaded, nasty, stalls. Just stow it until your last dump. Add your chemicals and be on your way.
Flush it down your home toilet!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #16

I have two cleanouts in my yard. I just hook up like I'm at the campsite. I actually just did this to winterize. If I will be camping in a few weeks I just make sure there is plenty of water in the tank and make sure it is treated instead of worrying about dumping.
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #17

RV Dump Stations | Locate RV Dump Stations in America and if that fails to give a close option I discharge to a couple of plastic 5 gallon pails in the driveway. Dump them in the toilet in the house and all is well.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank