Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
Tinkerer and Putterer

What to price a used one for?

The DW and I are toying with the idea of swapping to an A but I am having trouble pricing our rig for sale. NADA puts my 2013 forester 3011 DSF at 71K when you add the full paint, outdoor TV and the AC upgrade to the 7000 miles but there are more upgrades that NADA isn't aware of. That 71K is low retail but the rig is sorted and like new. When I look at RVTrader I see prices all over the place but most are slightly above that price unless the rig has no options. Looking for folks that have sold their rigs successfully and how their sale price compared to these NADA values.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

When you say "swapping" it sounds like you are going to trade. If so, get ready to take a big hit on the trade. If time is not an issue as it may take several months to sell I would list it in RVtrader and/or Craigs list, but don't list it too low as you can always come down.

If you are in a hurry you may want to bite the bullet and trade it in. Be sure to work with several dealers in your area. One thing on trading in, depending on your state, is you may only pay sales tax on the difference which could save you somewhere in the area of $4000. Most dealers will likely show the "A" at MSRP and show more than you paid as a trade in value.

We had a less than a year old TT and wanted/needed to go to a Class C and figured it would be futile to attempt to sell it as it was so new and did not want to wait six months. Worked with 5 dealers with the intention of buying from a close one for service reasons and this helped get the price to where it was not too painful. Ended up buying from a family run dealership only 45 minutes from home.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Tinkerer and Putterer

I am not in a rush. This is a look at whether this is feasible of or not. We want to sell our current rig and then buy the A. After trading one rig I will never trade again. The dealer kills you on the trade and the new owner doesn't get the benefit of a walk through with the current owner. We like our current rig so we won't be suffering if we can't sell the rig for the price we need then we have more time to save $$$ for the upgrade. I was just hoping to hear from folks who have sold their class C rigs to get an idea of the selling price as compared to the NADA value.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

Why don't you call someplace like RVWholesalers and see what a new price is for your unit with the same options, then you will have to sell for $5k to 10K less than new. I just bought new an that was the price range for one year old units.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

My understanding is: Take the value of the rig new, deduct 20% for the first year and 10% every year thereafter. (That's 10% of the figure for the previous year) I would think there shouldn't be any major defects. This should give you a ballpark figure.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

Only way to find out what it is worth is to put an ad out there at a price you are willing to accept and see if you have any takers. Markets are all local so it really doesn't matter what others sold theirs for.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

On a 2013...I'd be at 50% of original LIST price...and be prepared to go another 10% in negotiation. Assuming average mileage.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
On a 2013...I'd be at 50% of original LIST price...and be prepared to go another 10% in negotiation. Assuming average mileage.

Considering your original purchase price should have been around 30% off list I think this is reasonable but maybe on the low side for a normally used unit stored outside that is now 3 model years old. If your unit is mint and stored inside then you should be able to get a bit more.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote