Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #21

I have the HawksHead Tallon based on a friends recommendation , very expensive and hard to setup, I wouldn't do it again. it works great when it works but losses signal to a tire or two regularly then again goes back to working. replaced all of the batteries but that didn't help
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #22

What TPMS are you using on your "Gumps"?

Tire Traker TT-500. I have been satisfied with the TPMS. Had put off the purchase until last year. Had a blowout on rear right inner. Took out the fender wheel well. $1500 damage+tire on my 2014 3170 Sunseeker. My advice is do not delay the purchase whatever system you choose.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Tire Traker TT-500. I have been satisfied with the TPMS. Had put off the purchase until last year. Had a blowout on rear right inner. Took out the fender wheel well. $1500 damage+tire on my 2014 3170 Sunseeker. My advice is do not delay the purchase whatever system you choose.
There are probably several good reasons to have a TPMS system. However, in the case of a blowout, how would a TPMS have helped?
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #24

I will defer to Tireman9 to correct me. Blowouts are really, Low PSI flex tire failure. In other words, as the tire pressure decreases, tire flex increases, thus building heat. At some point the air that is in the tire suddenly expands causing a blowout. A TPMS system will alert you of PSI lose before the temperature reaches critical.
This is my understanding. I would however, recommended that you do your own research as I am not a tire expert.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #25

Hey thanks for all the prompt replies and good info! I'll post back after I purchase and install my TPMS. Happy camping!
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Just switched from TireMinder to TST 507. Soooo Happy!!

Tom what issues did you have with the tireminder? I thought the lifetime warranty looked pretty attractive but.....
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #27

Garrette, I don't want to say you're wrong but sometimes it's just plain old tire failure. I had a tmps on my travel trailer a few years ago and while driving down the interstate at about 65 mph I had a real blowout. I actually heard it explode just before the tmps alerted me. I think the tread separated.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #28

"There are probably several good reasons to have a TPMS system. However, in the case of a blowout, how would a TPMS have helped?"

The audible will sound to let you know a tire has blown and try to stop as fast as you can. This has happen to me twin, the first time I didn't a TPMS and we hardly knew the tire came apart. The second time I did have a TPMS, I knew it went we hit it and the alarm sounded. Not much you can do but try to stop ASAP.
bajamike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
I'm using the TST 507 with flow thru sensors. A few things to watch for with any TPMS:

1. The plastic rear valve stem extenders FR used on our GTS were junk to put it politely. I couldn't even add air to a low tire thru them. And you cannot use a valve mount sensor on them. I highly recommend going with a set of one piece stainless steel valve stems from Duallyvalves. We have a E-450 chassis so I used the DL1FCR kit shown Here. When I called to place my order I had the front stems upgraded to a stem with a bend for easier access.

2. If you have the "wheel simulators", as in the big stainless hub caps, you may need to notch them to use any sensor. You will definitely need to notch them to clear the anti-theft devices on the TST non-flow thru sensors. The anti-theft devices can be removed which is what I would do if I had it to do over. I remove the sensors while in the storage lot anyway...

3. I started off with "regular" non-flow thru sensors. Having to remove them to add air to the tires was a PITA. Last year at the FROG Rally I upgraded to flow thru sensors and I'm a lot happier. This is really a personal preference issue, both types work...

4. With the TST you want to change the sensor batteries annually, as in each spring for me. If not you can get some really weird readings as the battery runs down...

Hope this helps...
I'm leaving for our first long distance trip in a couple of weeks where we will be driving from NJ out to Denver and back. On my to-do list is to install a TPMS system and at the moment I am looking at the TST 507 in a combination of flow thru and caps. Caps for my toad vehicle and possibly the front RV wheels. I checked out the stems on my 2016 3011 and from what I can see I may be in good shape but I’d like some feedback. It seems that FR may have put different types of stems in depending on the vehicle and year so here are some pics of what I’ve got.

Front wheels – Seem to be solid metal stems which is good. However, I can see where if I use the flow thru sensors they may actually hit the wheel simulator and I would possibly have to modify it to allow them to fit. Although, if I just use the caps for the front wheels then I might not need to make any modifications.

Rear outer wheel – has a solid metal stem angled out. Currently no problem connecting air chuck and it looks like a flow thru sensor would attach with no issues.

Rear inner wheel – also has a metal stem which is straight but has a rubber attachment to the rim. So this stem is not rigid like the outer wheel and putting a flow thru sensor on it, while it would fit, would probably cause some issues driving as the weight of the sensor would most certainly cause the rubber part of the stem to fatigue.

So does anyone have a good recommendation as to what might be the best options here and especially for the rear inner wheel? And for what it’s worth, I currently do not have any issues with any of the tires holding air. For the most part I’ve only added air to adjust ride characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_170143.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	136754   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_170303.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	136755   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_170334.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	136756   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_170438.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	136757   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_170502.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	136758  

Old 05-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #30

Replacement TPMS parts and accessories for RV's and Trailers for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

2 flow through $100

2 non flow $100
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #31
Site Team

newRVer,

The extensions shown in your third picture, the inner dual, looks like it is the same setup I had. That is a chrome metal extension, mounted on top of a long plastic extension, mounted on to the actual valve. See Picture One below. That setup is not designed to support a TPMS sensor and has a very high chance of failure if you add one to it. And my local truck tire shop said they would never daisy chain valve extensions like that...

Picture 1 FR Valve Extender

The 90° extension shown in your second photo can be troublesome as well... One of mine would periodically shift to one side, probably from the centrifugal force, and the sensor would stop reading. Shifting it back to center would get it reading again. I used a pair of pliers to tighten the collar as tight as it would go but the extension would still shift. The TPMS sensor being spun around at 65MPH puts some torque on the valve stems. The funny part about this as it was only one side the had the shifting issue...the other side worked fine...

The picture below is of the DuallyValve setup installed on our GTS. The TPMS sensors and "hub caps" haven't been installed for clarities sake. On the left side of the picture is the rear inner dual valve stem. Even though it is one piece stainless steel a rubber grommet is provided to center it and keep it from shifting around. The outer dual 90° on the right side is a one piece unit that can't shift from the centrifugal force...

GTS Valve Extenders Installed

I have not had any issues, either TPMS or holding air, since changing over to the DuallyValve One Piece stems.

EDIT: If you click on the pictures you can view the full size pictures on my Flikr account. That will give you more detail....
Old 05-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #32

What TPMS are you using on your "Gumps"?

I am going to catch flake for this but I have extenders. One year in and no problems and easy to add air. No leaks and the extenders have worked well. I occasionally do the soapy water test when I wash the wheels. I just screwed the TPMS sensor to the anchored extender.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1247.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	136800
Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 AM   #33

I did something similar, no problems yet.
gmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #34

Re

When I got my Forester 2 years ago I took it over to a local tire shop and had brass truck valves installed in the duels, $85.00 and worth every penny.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I am going to catch flake for this but I have extenders. One year in and no problems and easy to add air. No leaks and the extenders have worked well. I occasionally do the soapy water test when I wash the wheels. I just screwed the TPMS sensor to the anchored extender.
Attachment 136800
Garrette,

Your idea is something I thought about as well. Are the extenders just screwed into the hubcap using self tapping screws? Also, what kind of TPMS sensors are you using?
Old 05-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
When I got my Forester 2 years ago I took it over to a local tire shop and had brass truck valves installed in the duels, $85.00 and worth every penny.
Poppy, was the $85 just for the brass extenders? i.e. not including installation and rebalancing, etc.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #37

newRVEr, I took my lead from tireman9. The extenders came with small brackets and I just pop riveted them to the wheel cover. To remove wheel cover, I unscrew the extenders from the brackets. I am however, researching a better retention system for the wheel covers. I have never had one come off but, if it does, might not be good.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #38
Chief tinkerer

We have 10k miles on TST internal sensors. Alerted us to rapid air loss on the tow dolly and we were rolling to a stop on the shoulder when the bead broke. No drama.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #39

I'm using the EEZTire-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System on my 3051S.
As others have mentioned, the inside rear tires came with a 3 piece system; the valve stem, the plastic/fiber extender and the flow thru cap. I replaced the plastic extender with a solid metal one long enough to screw the sensor on just past the wheel simulators. They've gone over 2000 miles so far with no issues. I'm using 10 sensors. Six on the motorhome, two on the tow dolly and two on the toads rear wheels. I did not need the repeater as they claim to work up to 53 feet without one.
The tow dolly and the toad are really important to monitor as many have said you'll never know if a tire blew out until it gets ugly.
They claim the batteries last 5 years. I opened one up and they use a common watch battery.
They have rubber O-rings where they separate for battery access and suggest opening them slightly and applying a thin bead of silicone sealant as insurance.
It's also recommended that you put a small amount of anti-seize on the valve stem threads to help prevent the disimilar metals from locking up.
The TMPS really takes a load off my mind knowing what my pressures and temperatures are on ten tires.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #40

New river in answer to your question that was $85.00 for removal of duel wheels and tires and installation of inner and outer brass valve stems complete.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote