Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

What's This? Awning Strap

Our 2015 Forester 2401R had this in the glove compartment. I've been carrying it around ever since but with no idea what it is, or if it is of any use at all. The picture shows the two ends of a light fabric belt about 6 feet long and about 1 inch wide. And yes I'm prepared to be insulted! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_122632.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	129248
Old 02-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

I think it is the strap to unroll your awing.

2014 Georgetown 351ds
Darmo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmo15 View Post
I think it is the strap to unroll your awing.
Exactly right. For a non-motorized awning, insert the metal pin inside the slot at the end of the awning, and slide the strap over to the center, so that the pin in inside the roller and the strap is hanging out and rolls up with the awning.

There might also be a metal pole about four feet long with a hook on the end to hook into the loop on the strap and pull the awning open. Also use it to hold the awning strap as the awning gets close to being fully rolled up.

No insult required or even appropriate.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Wow, I should have known you guys would know! Ok, I'll keep it handy. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Here is a video of it in play in your awning:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Oh, I forgot to add, you probably have electric power awnings. This strap is to be used in case of motor failure...which is why it's in your glove box and not on the awning.

This link (although not maybe your particular awning) explains this emergency use strap on pages 7-8:

http://liferebooted.net/life-reboote...g%20Manual.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
Chief tinkerer

I have found it useful as an awning tiedown on a couple of occasions. I know, I know, that's not what its for....

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Oh, I forgot to add, you probably have electric power awnings. This strap is to be used in case of motor failure...which is why it's in your glove box and not on the awning.

This link (although not maybe your particular awning) explains this emergency use strap on pages 7-8:

http://liferebooted.net/life-reboote...g%20Manual.pdf
Well that's interesting! I have not had time to think about how to get the awning down if the motor or switch is not working. So then, are all FR RV's with Dometic power awnings also supposed to come with a strap? If so, mine did not.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Well that's interesting! I have not had time to think about how to get the awning down if the motor or switch is not working. So then, are all FR RV's with Dometic power awnings also supposed to come with a strap? If so, mine did not.
On the electric awnings, it's actually for getting the awning retracted in case of motor failure. That way you can get home or to a repair facility and the strap now rolled up in the awning will allow you to pull it out (if even necessary) and get the motor fixed.

If the motors fail when the awning is retracted, then it's not a problem until it can be fixed, and the RV can still travel. No need for the strap.

Without the strap already rolled up in the awning, the awning CAN be rolled out, but it's not something that one man is going to want to try and do at a campground by themselves and without ladders.

As far as if they are "supposed" to come with the strap, I cannot answer. Mine did, and was in the bag of stuff with the manuals, antifreeze injection hose, water filter canister wrench, etc.

I also renamed this thread title to help those in the future who may do a search on it.

P.S. This is a good example of something else that many RV'ers aren't aware of. While it is the off-camping season, it would be a good time to actually learn how to do things like this in case of failure/emergency. Learn how to retract the electric awning, retract your slides, retract your electric stabilizers, retract your electric tongue jack (if equipped). All these items have manual over rides and tools that are used to accomplish this. It would be time well spent to study up on these, and make sure you know where the tools are located (and you have them).

If you don't know how and/or have the tools to accomplish these feats, then you are going to be at the mercy and time of someone else who does.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #10

I have an electric awning and the strap came included separately in my FR Owner's Kit.
It is to be used in case the awning fails in the open position.
In my case I needed to insert the strap and then back up my truck under the forward part of the opened awning. I then climbed up and removed 2 bolts (per the awning manual) having DW hold the strap for when the awning snapped back to the closed position.
As it turned out, NOTHING happened. Motor had frozen, but I was able to hand roll up. Later replaced by FR under my second year FR warranty.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #11

My TT did not come with the separate strap despite the awning manual saying one was included and when I asked the dealer about it, I was told I could buy my own or do without (I bought my own at CW for about $7). There's great customer service. And when I asked what one does in the event of motor failure on the power awning, the response I was given is this: "In 20 years I've never had the motor fail on a horse trailer I own with a power awning." That wasn't what I was looking for either so I went online, found the instructions from Dometic, gave it to my dealer and suggested they provide other RV owners with the instructions, when asked. That caught them by surprise! I like my RV dealer, I just don't like all the people that work there so I am now much more selective when I ask 'how to' questions.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #12

Please read the procedure for getting the awning retracted. You will need an Allen wrench. You want to keep this wrench with your strap. Just in case!
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to add, you probably have electric power awnings. This strap is to be used in case of motor failure...
If the motor fails, you for sure won't deploy or stow the awning with that strap. It is definitely NOT for a power awning.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If the motor fails, you for sure won't deploy or stow the awning with that strap. It is definitely NOT for a power awning.
Neil, please read the link and pages in post #6, which explains how you use that strap in case of motor/power failure.

I can't explain it better than Dometic does in their owners manual in the link.

EDIT: Here is page 8 from the Dometic manual, explaining the pull strap method in case of motor failure. It explains the hex key that Garrette correctly added is necessary in their post above.... as well as Step 3 explains the pull strap is provided with awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	129427  

Old 02-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Neil, please read the link and pages in post #6, which explains how you use that strap in case of motor/power failure...
My mistake, evidently Flagstaff forgot to furnish one with ours. Never saw that in the manual, old age and failing eyesight. Sorry about that.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormturner View Post
Wow, I should have known you guys would know! Ok, I'll keep it handy. Thanks!
If you have a manual awning,,, and have never used the strap,,, or pull down rod,,, how do you get your awning unrolled ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #17

Awning retraction tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Please read the procedure for getting the awning retracted. You will need an Allen wrench. You want to keep this wrench with your strap. Just in case!
Not just any old Allen wrench. You need a 5/32 Hex Key. We all own one of those, right?
As luck would have it, I did own one. Included in a multi-tool DW had bought for me years ago and always goes camping with us. This thing folds out like a Swiss knife on steroids and has multiple heads and sockets.
At the time I knew I had power as the spliced in awning lights worked. Just the motor wasn't working. For rolling up, I'm 6'2" and standing on the upper edge of the truck bed side I was JUST able to roll the awning up.
I have Coach-Net, but I was 2 towns away from any cell service.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #18

Has anybody replaced the motor on an A&E weather pro motor? Can you give me an idea as to how to do it! I am a mechanic and can do most repairs if I get an idea how they come apart!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #19

Cnycamper! Does that mean you were able to roll it up by hand? If that was the case, it was not spring loaded? Is that correct! You would only need the strap if it were spring loaded!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:16 AM   #20

What's This? Awning Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
Has anybody replaced the motor on an A&E weather pro motor? Can you give me an idea as to how to do it! I am a mechanic and can do most repairs if I get an idea how they come apart!

I watched a travel repair replace the motor in my Dometic 9100 awning. He rolled it out about a foot. On the opposite end, aligned through holes and placed a cotter pin. This was done to control the spring tension.
The motor is installed with pop rivets. Drilled them out, He unbolted the end from the awning arm and slid the motor out. Replaced the motor, reversed the operation, installed the pop rivets, removed the cotter pin and done. He made it look easy.
The key point is to roll it out for room to work and controlling the spring tension.
Hope this helps.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote