Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #1

Where is auto transfer sw ? Gen to shore

We have a 2018 3011DS . Where is the automatic transfer switch between generator and shore power?
I had a HW-EMS 30c installed but it only protects us from improper ac from shore power. I would like for it to also protect from a generator malfunction.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Psadave46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

On my 2016 3011 it's at the foot of the bed. You will need to measure the distance between the transfer switch and the EMS and add one foot. That is how much #10 wire you will need to add.

You should have the manual that came with it but if not, here is the link. It's pretty easy to do if you follow the instructions for installing AFTER the transfer switch. Make double sure your connections are tight.

https://file.powerprodllc.com/-/media/inriver/ZX480.pdf
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Goldwing is correct (with a helpful link too:-) I take it that your PI unit is blank when you run your generator, true? PI units are seldom installed before the transfer switch but, of course, there is nothing wrong with that. The Onan has its own protective circuit so barring a catostrophic failure, the PI is fine where it is. That being said, I put mine after the transfer box because that was the path of least resistance. My transfer switch is burried under a drawer in the bathroom base cabinet.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #4

Do you have photo of transfer switch?

Prior to becoming disabled, I have installed an EMS unit in my old RV. Today, I have to depend on someone else installing it. The company I use is Freedom RV in Tucson. They do all my warranty work. They say my RV model does not allow for installation of the EMS unit in such a way as to protect from shore power or generator power. Only protect from shore power. That’s confusing to me...
They have my RV now, as there is a nasty rust spot on the ceiling, but that’s another warranty issue.
Thanks to you both for replying. Yes, it is blank while using generator. It just doesn’t make sense to only protect your RV from shore power and not from generator also.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

Unless there are some installation constraints don't see why the ATS output couldn't be used instead of the ATS shore power input. This would provide both power sources (switched when genny running) with EMS protection. The genny has its own monitoring circuits and does not energize the ATS till all parameter outputs are within specifications and therefore an EMS that monitors the genny may be overkill.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #6

Found picture, it’s under bed.

Progressive Dynamics 5100 unit is located under bed. Looks like the technician just placed the EMS unit on wrong wire. Maybe I have to do this myself.
After a 8 month bout as a quadriplegic with GBS, (4 years ago), today I can walk and have limited use of both hands. I can do most repairs but it takes days instead of hours.
I had already explained to the repair people that it was just installed incorrectly. They responded that my unit did not allow for the EMS to be installed in a manner which allowed protection from both shore power and generator power.
They are wrong.
Thanks to all responders.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Just a thought before you wrestle with switching the pms feed. When you change it, your transfer switch will no longer be protected. Just sayin. Personally, I didn’t care about the TS as it is easy to repair or replace for about $75.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

Currently yours goes from the elec. panel box to the EMS and back to the panel box. All they have to do is run it from the transfer switch to the input of the EMS and the output to the panel box. Depending on where they mounted it you should only need 2 to 3 feet of wire. Mine is mounted on the forward facing side of the bed frame the display is on the same side so it can be seen from the dinette.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote