Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 06:38 AM   #1

Where to mount a surge protector

Can anyone suggest a location to mount a Progressive EMS surge protector in a 2016 Forester 2431? I've watched videos of where and how to set up surge protectors in other RVs but not on a 2431.
Rick-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Many choose to mount them behind the converter, but you should also be able to mount anywhere between the converter and where your power comes in from shore power.
Hermes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Not positive cause I don't have one, but the floor plan sure looks a lot like the MBS 2400W floor plan. If it is the same, there is probably room to mount it in the same location as the transfer switch.
In the Driver side rear compartment there should be a box out area on the left hand side. If you look closely, you will see a couple screws holding the corner molding on the right and a couple screws on the left hand side. Take out those screws and that panel facing you will come off. Your Transfer switch is located in there. If there isn't enough room, you could always make the box out a little bigger. It should be a pretty easy install in that location because the shore power terminates in the transfer switch.

Hope this is of some help,

Sherman
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #4

Thanks ShermanD I opened the panel you suggested and there was the box. Looks like I can disconnect the wires, remove the box and set the surge protector in its place and connect the wires with out any alterations. Looked at some videos about installing the Progressive EMS-HW 30. Those videos showed cutting the 30 amp cable coming from the pedestal, pealing back the wires on each end and connecting to the protector. Interesting that Forestriver is able to use the same W floor plan unit with the MBS 2400W and the Ford 2431. Again thanks.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-s View Post
Thanks ShermanD I opened the panel you suggested and there was the box. Looks like I can disconnect the wires, remove the box and set the surge protector in its place and connect the wires with out any alterations. Looked at some videos about installing the Progressive EMS-HW 30. Those videos showed cutting the 30 amp cable coming from the pedestal, pealing back the wires on each end and connecting to the protector. Interesting that Forestriver is able to use the same W floor plan unit with the MBS 2400W and the Ford 2431. Again thanks.
Hope that box your talking about isn't the transfer switch cause you need to keep that. The only reason I even knew where the transfer switch was located is because I was looking for a non-existent sub-woofer.

I suppose it is possible that there is a junction box in there but i am not sure. It appeared to me as though there were three sets of wires going into the "black" box" one from the shore power, one from the generator, and one going to the main distribution panel. If the Sunseeker and the GTS are indeed the same, your shore power enters the cabin inside the little nightstand at the back of the bed, then it goes through the floor, along the frame, and then back up through the floor and into the transfer switch.

Research, test, double check twice, then label before cutting or disconnecting anything. Take lots of pictures, makes remembering how things go back together much easier.

good luck with your install, hope everything goes well, and enjoy your RV, we really enjoy ours.

BTW. that floor plan is used on the Dynamax Isata 3 and the Forest River Forester also.

ShermanD
Old 09-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #6

I bought a Portable EMS so if it fails I can plug directly into the pedestal. If your hard wired unit fails you are just up the creek.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I bought a Portable EMS so if it fails I can plug directly into the pedestal. If your hard wired unit fails you are just up the creek.
I have a portable on myself, but, I learned rather quickly on this forum that it is better to let others decide on their own.

If they ask a specific question, as in this instance, I try to offer assistance if possible. If not, I steer clear of the subject.

The most important thing is that everyone should have some type of surge protector. Investigating even the simplest of wiring problems can take hours, just imagine the cost of replacing and rewiring your major components should you encounter a voltage surge. A surge protector is CHEAP insurance.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Not really true if you get the progressive with the pendant you flip the switch and it by-passes it. You just move the switch and BINGO power again. PS: or install it with plug ends and just hook them up, Sorry but progressive the hard wire IMO is the way to go....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #9

Wonder if this would work? I have an extra 30 amp cable. The surge protector could be spliced into this cable and the surge protector placed in a shelf made under the RV to keep it out of the weather. This would be a regular connection from the pedestal to the RV.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-s View Post
Wonder if this would work? I have an extra 30 amp cable. The surge protector could be spliced into this cable and the surge protector placed in a shelf made under the RV to keep it out of the weather. This would be a regular connection from the pedestal to the RV.

That should work fine, only thing to consider is that if you want to use the digital display you will have to run the data cable to the surge protector and plug it in. The remote digital display is handy to see the voltage, current draw and any error codes.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #11

Thanks fobagbob Hadn't though about the display. If it can be plug in and unplug, I could Velcro it to the side of the unit while parked.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #12

I agree with Witch Doctor as you can bypass, if you wish, with the hardwired unit. BUT, why would you want to have an issue where it doesn't work and unplug it and bypass? Isn't that the purpose of it in the first place? I have had it save my TT electrical component a few times but never thought of bypassing the protection.
What electrical issue would cause one to bypass the protection SAFELY?

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount