Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #1

Where's the auto transfer box

I've been trying to find the Automatic Transfer Switch (generator to shore power, etc) but not having any luck. Talked to Forester rep and was told it was under the bed. And, the wiring schematic he sent showed it there. Problem was the schematic was for a Sunseeker 3050 and my unit is a Forester 3051 (same floorpan). There is nothing under the bed that has to do with an ATS.

Anyone have any idea where it might be hidden?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Does your shore power cord enter under the bed, and have you traced the cord to where it terminates? On my 2861 the bed is in the same location as yours and the cord terminates at the ATS under the bed.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
Does your shore power cord enter under the bed, and have you traced the cord to where it terminates? On my 2861 the bed is in the same location as yours and the cord terminates at the ATS under the bed.
The shore power cord is visible under the bed but it disappears into the floor

Where it goes from there is the mystery.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
2012 Solera

I believe “under the bed” means take out the mattress, then unscrew and remove the plywood that the mattress sits on. In our Solera, that is where the “under the bed stuff” is. There is a storage compartment under part of the bed; “under the bed” does not mean in that compartment on our Motorhome.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I believe “under the bed” means take out the mattress, then unscrew and remove the plywood that the mattress sits on. In our Solera, that is where the “under the bed stuff” is. There is a storage compartment under part of the bed; “under the bed” does not mean in that compartment on our Motorhome.
Here’s the under bed area in my unit. And, before anyone says the xfer switch is in one of the two junction boxes, it’s not. Those only contain pairs of wires connected with wire nuts.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
CRiley

I have a 3051 and I think the transfer switch is next to the water filter. If you open the hatch in the storage area behind the right rear wheels you'll see a black box next to the filter.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariley View Post
I have a 3051 and I think the transfer switch is next to the water filter. If you open the hatch in the storage area behind the right rear wheels you'll see a black box next to the filter.
Thanks. That’s an area I hadn’t considered. Will check first thing in the morning.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #8

Carily is the winner. Since that mentioned location is about as far away from the generator as you can get, and it’s a water compartment, I figured “no way”. Since I have really good lighting in the MH storage carport I ventured out to take a look.

There it was. Can barely see it through the access door but removing the covers exposes it. Now I just have to figure out why it intermittently decides not to work. Probably be on the phone with Progressive Dynamics since Forest River doesn’t even know where it’s installed.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #9

Project complete. I was having intermittent changeover. Found 7 of 12 wire lugs not tight enough. Two of them needed two complete turns of the screwdriver to get set properly. Also cleaned out a lot of sawdust inside the box. Progressive tech guy said both of those issues could cause the problem.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
CRiley

Transfer Switch

I always thought a water compartment was the perfect spot for electrical connections. It's only 30 amps.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
I think your right
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:
I always thought a water compartment was the perfect spot for electrical connections. It's only 30 amps.
what can go wrong...
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #13

Take that water filter out of there, replace with a short piece of pipe and fittings. Easy job.

Use the filter at the «entrance point» (outside) so, if it leaks, you will be happy with its new location.

One the other hand, you will take the hazardous spot a bit safer.

Tags
forester