Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #1

Whistle sound on 2431 GTS

So it's becoming more annoying all the time. When reaching speeds of 50 to 70 mph, this whistle sound starts up, and it will change slightly at different speeds. Impossible to tell where it's coming from, but somewhere around the front cab or engine. I can't believe that other GTS models don't also have this issue. Hoping someone has tracked it down and has a fix.
Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Those can be annoying for sure. I don’t go 70 mph but if you factor in winds, the effect can be the same. So I have no whistling at low speed or my normal cruising speed of 60-62 mph. However, I did get a noticeable whistling when I drove in a strong crosswind. It came from the side window. In this case it was the forward dinette window. Although mine is slightly different than yours, I think it could happen with any side window near the front. It has to do with the aerodynamics of the coach and most likely amplified by our unique front cap. So here is what is happening. The air flow across the alee side is creating a vaccum along the side of the coach. It is this vaccum that causes the window (glass) to flex. The glass bows out in the middle enough to lift off the seal. When that happens, it whistles. This is not a theory. You can see it happening in your side view mirror.
I have no “fix” to stop it other than the obvious slow down which is not practical on the interstate. I’m already doing 10mph under the limit. Don’t think being more of a rolling road block is a good idea. I am however, working on a “Rube Goldberg device”. If I can fabricate it, I’ll post (In the Sunseeker section).