Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #21

Anaro, Thank you very much for the recognition, I really appreciate it. I would like to try another dealer but am sort of stuck. I have my state inspection due on the rv in August, and I can take it to a garage that does rv's but if something is wrong it will be covered by warranty so I would have to take it back anyway, and
Clems rv is the only rv dealer that can do FR warranty work that I know of. They are an 1 1/2 hr drive, takes about 9 gal. of gas ( Lol ) , and the next closest is in Ohio 2 which doesn't help with inspection.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #22

USN, kudo's for your service. I was also USN back in Nam, and a retired cop, 30 years on the job.
I feel for you and the cr-p you have to put up with after spending your good money on what you thought would be your dream rv. Even after the FR member (not representing FR) tried to explain away the problems, and the request was made to drop the bashing and complaints, your problems became worse.
To Mr. Clemens...if this was just an isolated incident, it would be accepted. But, almost every new owner of one of your products, trailer, 5'er, motor home, has posted about problems almost from the time they bought it. Dosen't seem to matter if it's a 7 grand entry level trailer or a 300 grand motor home---your company turns out shoddy products. Unfortunately, most are not associated with the running gear, so it's not an issue that we can complain about to the Highway Safety Admin.
If we could, with the # of complaints you see on this forum, you would be out of business.
I guess I was just one of the "lucky one's" who just had some minor problems, along with my cracked roof. If I had had serious problems like some others, I can assure you I would have started legal proceedings against your company. Maybe that's what it will take for you to acknowledge that your company has to do a better job.
Grumpy

Old 06-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #23

Welcome to the world of FR, I wanted to drop a tree on my unit but that would get me in trouble. So I just fix everything myself. I have more miles back and forth from the dealer then pulling it to the campground..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Welcome to the world of FR, I wanted to drop a tree on my unit but that would get me in trouble. So I just fix everything myself. I have more miles back and forth from the dealer then pulling it to the campground..
Sorry for your troubles guys, but I would assume the majority of us are quite satisfied with our FR products. To the OP, work with your dealer and document the progress, or lack thereof. Then if necessary, contact FR. I have read many threads at this site, that turned out fine.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #25

As someone who has owned RVs made by Thor, Winnebago, Fleetwood, and others and every class other than Class B - I can say that ALL RVs have issues. Some minor, some major. So far our new 3051s issues are all pretty minor to my way to thinking. A couple of water leaks, a sticking entry door, and other things that are fixable. If you were to spend time on any of the other manufacturers forums you would see the same complaints as you see here. Obviously - whether it is an RV, a car, washing machine or a blender - people with complaints are much much more likely to post than are people with no or very minor issues. I'm just saying - look at the big picture.

Shelley
Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #26

You are correct that just about all the rv manuf. have problems as visit's to their different web sites will show. And, the complaints are just about the same, dealing with workmenship and problems with construction.
But, this is a FR forum, and since there's no where else to voice complaints, it's done here.
Grumpy
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #27

Grumpy,
I totally understand what you are saying but when you read the FR bashing and the "I'll never buy another FR product because they are the worst of the worst" type of comments - these folks need to understand that it could happen with any make.

MACS USN (Ret)

Shelley
Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #28
GM

I have to say grumpy, this is what makes most reps stay away. When a person takes someones words and tries to twist them with a complete disregard for facts.

I never once said to stop complaining (I respectfully challenge you to find where I made that statement). In fact, let me go one step further and paste exactly what I had written in that response....

"So in that same light we do want to hear when things go wrong. We appreciate the feedback and we want to get them corrected. What I am not always thrilled by are the assumptions that go along with it."

To further explain, I was referring to "assuming" that we are ok with things that are wrong. Assuming that someone "saw" the error and willfully let it go so that the customer and/or dealer would catch it so that we could "save some money".

I also have never tried to "explain away" a problem. I simply try to give inside information as to the "how" and "why" we do things. It is why I appreciate comments like AprilFool who says "the water fill was in a bad spot but I'm sure the engineers had a reason" (from memory not direct quote). Even "The water fill is in a bad spot" would have been fine with me. What I take issue with is "The water fill is in a bad spot, I don't understand why the Forest River engineers are incompetent. They must hire them from the local kindergarten because my even my blind uncle knows that that is the stupidest spot for a water fill" (no offense intended any blind uncles). That is the type of statement I was referring to.

Statements like "But, almost every new owner of one of your products...has posted about problems" with absolutely no facts, no access to any statistics that would support a theory like that.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #29

April
What should happen is an effort by FR (I use FR as an example cause that's what we have) to upgrade their workmenship and instill a sense of pride in their workers and the product they turn out. If not, than FR just becomes "just like everyone else" in that you have problems from day one.
As an example, look what happened to HD. Back in the 80's they almost went out of business due to poor design, poor workmenship, and bikes that were not reliable. They got the message when no one would buy their bikes. They turned the company around and look at them now.
Auto industry had their problems and were being run over by the imports until their quality got a lot better.
It would take the same actions on the part of us, the rv consumers, to get quality products for the money we lay out. Unfortunately, probably not going to happen as many "newby's" don't know what to look for or expect, put blinders on and think their buying their dream.
There are several rv manuf. who do turn out really good stuff, and even invite you to their plant to watch your rv being built. And, thats where my next one will be comming from.
Grumpy
Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #30

I think what causes the most of problems is FR's seeming lack of interest in getting problems resolved and bucking everything to dealers who frequently admit they can do as they please in regards to warranty work. Not very customer centric or resolution oriented perspective if you ask me.

There are also some very obvious problems that never should have been allowed to leave the factory. These contribute to the dissatisfaction no matter how understanding someone is that things don't always work as planned. As an example, none of the water hoses going to my fresh water tank had the clamps installed properly. They were all hanging in the middle of the hose nowhere near the fittings. The only reason I found it was I had to relocate the tank as it's inlet was 1 1/2" higher than the fill tube on outside of the trailer. If I hadn't had to work on the tank we would have been flooded. The sad part is I am not the only one to run into this type on problem. One would think that QC would catch these types of problems that should never occur. In this case a problem that I could live with finding and even had some empathy due to this being a new model was turned into something that quite frankly ticked me off.

To sum it up, if FR handled defect and complaints better and truly had nationwide warranty support I think a good portion of the bashing would go away. I also think it would help eliminate the bad dealers as people would have more freedom on who they took their RV to for warranty support. As it is today you are at the whim of the dealer on whether they will work on your RV or not.