Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Window caulking??

Taking a closer look at my windows, I don't see any caulk or butyl tape. Did they remove the windows for full body paint and neglect to seal them or is this the way this particular window sets in? Going up into the Sierras Sunday with rain and snow predicted and not looking for 7 windows leaking. There is a small gap between the frame and the motorhome walls.

Has anyone gone and caulked their windows on new MHs?

Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #2

Here is what one of the windows looks like. Notice the space on the bottom. Looks like the frame is rubber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	93336  

Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #3

That's the way they fit I was told by dealer tech it was on my repair list when I first got my Rv
Old 11-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
That's the way they fit I was told by dealer tech it was on my repair list when I first got my Rv
That's what I was told , also. Had heavy rains up here in Yosemite and no visible leaks. Only slideout after about 4 hours leaked atbortpm corner.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
BEFUDDELED MEMBER

I have a 20013 Sunseeker 3010 purchased 2012. We had 2 windows, sofa and dinette, that not only leaked water but snow would blow into the interior of the coach. It took 2 years and a lawyer to get Hehr windows to replace the defective windows. We live in the desert so we do get some rain but nothing like tropical storms. Late this summer we were camped on a central Gulf Coast beach, the passenger side facing the water. A tropical depression brought 50mph winds and a foot of horizontal rain. The bedroom slide window leaked and the foam mattress and bedding was soaked when we returned from shopping. That cut our stay short, 2 days later back home I got the mattress out to dry, ran the a/c and fans to dry the carpet and plywood. I inspected the outside and inside of the window. Noting nothing unusual or different than the other windows, slight gap between wall and widow flange. I called the dealer and was told that the widows were not calked as they had a rubber gasket under the outside frame flange that sealed the window.They suggested checking the screws to make sure they were tight. Screws were tight.
I ended pulling the window to reset/ reposition or something with the seal.
THERE WAS NO SEAL, no butyl bedding or any type of sealing method from the factory.
I purchased a roll of butyl calk and set a layer of caulk tape around the window opining and re-installed the window. I was then required to pull all of the other valance, shades and windows to VERIFY the presence of some type of sealer on the rest of the windows. All of the other windows had the rubber seals present and were sealed.
I was not a happy camper. It was not a pleasant day and should have been spent doing something else.

It was more important to install a window with out a seal than it was to get off the ladder, pick the seal up off the floor, get one from stock or get a different window with a seal, than to install it correctly.
Viet combat vet USNR
DAV, VFW, CCL. SASS
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk