Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Window Tinting

When I'm getting my RV detailed in a couple of weeks I am also thinking of getting the windows tinted. For the owners here who previously replied to similar posts and had the tinting completed, do you find that it was worth the cost? We had a few hot days in the RV last year and I thinking the tinting would reduce some of the heat.

PS. If you had tinting completed, how dark do you go?

RVr
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #2

I put awnings over the side Windows. Much cooler.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Had a SIL do mine so not perfect at every little curve and corner. I purchased film from HD. Bought the middle of the three as far as darkness. Mine turned out that you can barely see inside during daylight hours. Well worth the purchase. Not only does it stay cooler, there will be less color loss on furniture fabric and the AC unit works less than before.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #4

Tinting make little difference on radiant heat from the sun. Window awnings help a lot. We have bought rolls of Mylar from Lowe’s or HD and cut to fit inside of windows while the sun is against that area. Lots cheaper than awnings and really block the heat transfer.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #5

Tinted 3 large windows in our 2251...love it...dark gray- not mirror though...don't like that look. Really helps with the heat and sun...you cannot see in day or night unless a light is on at night.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

Something to think about. My 2013 Silverado 1500 had tinted windows...fairly dark. At night, if I had to back up to our TT, I had to roll down both windows as the glare and reflection made it difficult to see side mirrors. If it was raining....it's was that much worse with windows down and rain in your face. Nice during the day, but a PITA at night backing up.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #7

I tinted mine with the heat blocking / UV blocking tint from home depot. It really made a huge difference with the heat and now I can open the blinds during the day without anyone seeing in my camper. It took an hour or so doing it myself.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Something to think about. My 2013 Silverado 1500 had tinted windows...fairly dark. At night, if I had to back up to our TT, I had to roll down both windows as the glare and reflection made it difficult to see side mirrors. If it was raining....it's was that much worse with windows down and rain in your face. Nice during the day, but a PITA at night backing up.

What he said. I had my front side windows tinted to match the factory tint on the rear windows which is pretty dark.

Yes I also roll down a window when backing at night. BUT we drive thousands of miles pulling our rig and 95% is during the day. I also had a strip of "limo tint" placed over the top of my windshield. I love it. It's totally worth keeping the sun out as much as possible.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #9

Some states, like mine, that is not,legal and will get you pulled over. Now even more so with all the cops getting shot. Sad how things are now!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:
That is a concern I have as well and will probably not be tinting the side windows of the cab just for that reason. I have a windshield and side window covers that I will continue to use in the cab.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
That is a concern I have as well and will probably not be tinting the side windows of the cab just for that reason. I have a windshield and side window covers that I will continue to use in the cab.
My GMC has a very slight tint on driver and pass windows and are darker on the back seat two. I can see thru the windows at night, but it's not much tint.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
My GMC has a very slight tint on driver and pass windows and are darker on the back seat two. I can see thru the windows at night, but it's not much tint.
That might be an option too.....I have to compare the tinting options when I get a quote.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #13

Well I got a quote for $1100 to tint all the windows in the house section using SolarGard M2 tint. That's a total of 6 windows including the bunk area, but not the small bed slide or truck cab windows. I would also be responsible for removing the screens and window treatments. Not sure if that's a good deal yet or not but this installer was highly recommended by the detailer working on my RV. Anyone else have any any quotes or costs they can share?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tint.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	208164  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
I think the OP is talking about tinting the windows of the “Home” part of his rig....whereas you’re talking about your pickup. I think....

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Well I got a quote for $1100 to tint all the windows in the house section using SolarGard M2 tint. That's a total of 6 windows including the bunk area, but not the small bed slide or truck cab windows. I would also be responsible for removing the screens and window treatments. Not sure if that's a good deal yet or not but this installer was highly recommended by the detailer working on my RV. Anyone else have any any quotes or costs they can share?

Wow, that seems high ! I had at first the large bedroom windows done ( not small slide out bed windows) and both the driver and passenger door windows for I think $ 200.

Several weeks later while camping, the sun was beating on drivers side of the RV. I held my hands near the tinted drivers door window, and the not tinted window behind the recliners, and noticed a big difference in heat. I then had the windows tinted on the slide ( dinette windows and recliner windows ) for I think $ 200.

I have not tinted the kitchen window yet ( awning protects that), or the small bunk area windows.

Also, I was not asked to remove the screens or blinds, all being completed by the installers.

Very happy with the tint ! Looking out, you can not tell it’s there, and looking from the outside, you can’t see in providing both privacy and sun protection !

I’ll try and find the tint paper work and confirm prices and type of tint !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #16
Chief tinkerer

DIY Coach 5% and truck side window 35% tint

Hello again NewRVer. I did all coach windows myself using Solar Guard TrueVue 5% Very Dark and 35% HP True Grey on the 2 truck windows about 2 years ago. Purchased from SnapTint.com $190. Very pleased with the results.

Definitely helps our AC maintain inside temp in S Georgia and S Texas. Also appreciate the added privacy and being able to leave the shades up during the day. Took this pic before doing the windows behind the recliners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coach-tint-sm.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	208224  

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Hello again NewRVer. I did all coach windows myself using Solar Guard TrueVue 5% Very Dark and 35% HP True Grey on the 2 truck windows about 2 years ago. Purchased from SnapTint.com $190. Very pleased with the results.

Definitely helps our AC maintain inside temp in S Georgia and S Texas. Also appreciate the added privacy and being able to leave the shades up during the day. Took this pic before doing the windows behind the recliners.
That's a great photo showing the difference. I'm still researching the different films and visibility options but right now I'm thinking about using a 20% visibility on the coach except for the rear bedroom window which is the largest and could use the most privacy, might go with a 5% visibility there.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I think the OP is talking about tinting the windows of the “Home” part of his rig....whereas you’re talking about your pickup. I think....
He was talking about the "Cab" windows also. Pickup or RV, the reflection would still be the same at night with dark tint.

Tags
forester, window