Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

Winter Camping

Greetings. We have a Forester 2016 3011DS that does not have the artic package. We might be visiting family this Christmas in the Burke, Virginia area and we would be staying at a full hook up RV park near by. Our concern is not having the artic package. Besides having a heated water hose for the outside city water connection, what other steps do we need to take to be sure the pipes and tanks (black and grey) don't freeze in the cold weather? I am told by the dealer that as long as we have the heater on in the RV, we should be fine. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
JerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #2

Your dealer is correct. The propane furnace has small ducts that heat the water pump/filter compartment and sewer connection compartment, as well as the black and grey holding tanks and pipes. On our Sunseeker 3100SS, the fresh water tank is under the bed and it will also stay nice and warm.

I put a remote temperature sensor in the water pump compartment so I can keep an eye on the temperature. We once were in 19 degrees F fully exposed to a 10 - 20 mph wind all night and the compartments never got below 55 F. Of course, we were keeping the coach about 70 F since I get into real trouble if I let my dearly beloved's little dog get cold.

A point to consider is that although a portable electric heater may keep the coach warm, it doesn't circulate warm air to the tanks. Use an electric heater as you like, but keep an eye on the compartment temperatures.

Keep the water heater on. The propane flue lets cold air circulate through the water, just the same as it heats the water when you have a flame. Switch it to propane if you need to manage your electrical load, like if you are running an electric heater.

If you have a heat pump, it will keep the coach warm, but since the ducts are in the ceiling, the floor will get cold. I sometimes run an oscillating electric heater on low to help that. Below 40 F the heat pump periodically defrosts, so you lose some heating time. Around 32 F our thermostat switches to the propane furnace even if the heat pump is selected. I usually switch to the furnace at about 45 F.

In freezing weather I disconnect the city water hose and run on the fresh water tank. If you have the sewer hose connected, be sure it has drained well. I just put it away.

I hang a blanket from the overhead bunk to block off the cab. It's not insulated and you'll loose a lot of heat there. Check under your slides. Our 3100 has a gap in the lower seal, so I put door draft blockers on the floor to keep out drafts. You slides may seal better. I made window covers from Reflectix for hot and cold weather. I'd recommend that you make some when you have time.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

Winter Camping

Many many thanks for the reply. Very helpful info. Much appreciated.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #4

Enjoy your trip. We usually take a trip or two to the SC or NC coast during the winter and enjoy the quiet.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #5

Thank you again. Not sure how to private message on the FORUM. The next time you are near Wilmington, NC, let us know. Maybe we can meet for lunch.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

JerJ,

To send a private message while logged in and viewing a thread, click on the member's name on the left side of the post. The member's profile will come up with a box for sending a private message. I think you can go to your "User CP" (control panel) at the top of the web page and send a mess age from that page. I can't switch to it now to verify it.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

JerJ,

I sent you a private message as a test.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #8

3051S Fresh water tank?

We have a Forester 3051S...does anyone know where the fresh water tank is located? Is it also under the bed? I have never lifted the mattress and plywood up to see.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #9

JimOneil,

You may get a better response if you start a new thread with your question.

Put your model number in the title to catch other owners' attention.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #10

Where are you staying near Burke Virginia?

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter