Old 10-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

Winterizing

We just purchased a 3011DS. 2018
The dealer was not helpful.

It there a easy way to get to the water heater bypass valves? I can pull the kitchen drawers out and see the valves, however I canít reach from the drawer opening. I do see a square wood panel, with a screw in the four corners - is that what I am supposed to use?

Is there any low point drains?

Any input or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You; Brian French

Brianfrench65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
We just purchased a 3011DS. 2018
The dealer was not helpful.

It there a easy way to get to the water heater bypass valves? I can pull the kitchen drawers out and see the valves, however I canít reach from the drawer opening. I do see a square wood panel, with a screw in the four corners - is that what I am supposed to use?

Is there any low point drains?

Any input or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You; Brian French
Yes you remove the four screws to access

ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson1144 View Post
Yes you remove the four screws to access
In your water compartment there is a blue hose with a ball valve that should be your low point drain. Underneath toward the rear you should see the blue pipe poking out. Next to it is a red pipe with a cap remove it to drain hot water side. Take plug out of water heater and set aside .
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson1144 View Post
In your water compartment there is a blue hose with a ball valve that should be your low point drain. Underneath toward the rear you should see the blue pipe poking out. Next to it is a red pipe with a cap remove it to drain hot water side. Take plug out of water heater and set aside .
Thank You Very Much. Thatís the information I needed.

Thank You Again
Old 10-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #5

Bypass for the water heater is easiest for me by pulling out the drawer, it comes in and out fairly easily, I leave it out to allow moisture out of the compartment over the winter.

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijak View Post
Bypass for the water heater is easiest for me by pulling out the drawer, it comes in and out fairly easily, I leave it out to allow moisture out of the compartment over the winter.
Great idea; thank you
Old 10-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #7

I leave the drawer out also for the winter. I think it is more of a pain to winterize the icemaker. I undo the small hose behind the fridge from the outside vent panel and removed the water. I am having issues with the valve underneath the fridge that lets water into the ice maker line though. Looks like it is some type of plunger but I can't seem to get in to work at all.
Campincarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campincarters View Post
I leave the drawer out also for the winter. I think it is more of a pain to winterize the icemaker. I undo the small hose behind the fridge from the outside vent panel and removed the water. I am having issues with the valve underneath the fridge that lets water into the ice maker line though. Looks like it is some type of plunger but I can't seem to get in to work at all.
Great advice, however we do not have the ice maker. We will remove the drawer.
Thank You Very Much.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #9

I picked up my 2018 2501TS last week and have already seen 32 degrees twice. I need to do this (first time).

Progress so far:
1. I found the low water points (blue and red), the valves by the water pump including the pickup tube for the antifreeze.

2. I found my water heater bypass valve along with the hot and cold line shutoffs for the water heater.

3. I found the water heater drain plug. I am about ready to try this.

Questions:

1. Is their an additional drain point for the fresh water tank somewhere else on the bottom of the RV? (I am afraid of how much I don't know.)

2. Do we need to do something about the City water fitting line "in" or is it higher than the rest of the lines and self drains?

3. Do we need to do something about the fresh water fill line? (any low point between the fill valve and the water tank would act like a p-trap).

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

v/r rch
RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #10

Well, I found some answers to my questions above.

1. There is no other low drain point on my Forester than the two identified by OP.

2. There is a "trick" to the "city water in" point to drain it. I was told to pressurize the system with the water pump after draining the fresh water tank etc. Then shut down the pump and release some of the line pressure with a faucet (pink water). The final step is to unscrew your city water in port, remove the screen if needed, and "burp" the line by holding in the check valve with your finger or a screwdriver. I have been warned to stand clear because the city water line will back flow and it will spray pink.

3. I can (and will) hand pump some antifreeze into the fresh water inlet and try to flood any accidental p trap created by the fill line drooping between the fresh water tank and the fill port. I was told it was probably not needed, but, it won't hurt anything.

Thanks to the OP because this will be my "first try" at winterizing my new rig. Thanks to all the forum members and share so much to make this a great forum.

v/r rch

RHOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter