Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Winterizing a 3051

Ok all, here is next adventure from the Navy Newbie.

I need to winterize my 2014 3051S, it gets freaking cold in Pittsburgh, which is I why we got this unit, and we will be following the warm weather fulltime. Hoping to put house on market by end of November and with any luck be going down the road not long after. Ok to get back on track, I read about winterizing and it seemed pretty straight forward with a couple of bumbs. First how do you drain the fresh water tank, or do you even need to if adding rv anti-freeze? Then how do you get the water into the system? I can't even begin to believe you have to do it under pressure and bring through the shore water connection.
Now I really don't want to take to dealer and have them do it. I am some what mechanically inclined, even though you wouldn't think so after reading other threads, and can't justify paying them a couple hundred bucks for something i think I should be able to handle myself.
OR Is it just such a hassle to do that it is worth taking to dealer.
Thanks Guys and Gals
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNMM1VETERAN View Post
Ok all, here is next adventure from the Navy Newbie.

I need to winterize my 2014 3051S, it gets freaking cold in Pittsburgh, which is I why we got this unit, and we will be following the warm weather fulltime. Hoping to put house on market by end of November and with any luck be going down the road not long after. Ok to get back on track, I read about winterizing and it seemed pretty straight forward with a couple of bumbs. First how do you drain the fresh water tank, or do you even need to if adding rv anti-freeze? Then how do you get the water into the system? I can't even begin to believe you have to do it under pressure and bring through the shore water connection.
Now I really don't want to take to dealer and have them do it. I am some what mechanically inclined, even though you wouldn't think so after reading other threads, and can't justify paying them a couple hundred bucks for something i think I should be able to handle myself.
OR Is it just such a hassle to do that it is worth taking to dealer.
Thanks Guys and Gals
Maybe you should do, what I SHOULD have done.....pay a dealer to teach you to winterize your unit. I have always winterized my units, but they were small and I just blew out the lines and added antifreeze to the the p-traps. I never carried fresh water, so I didn't have to drain the fresh water tank...but I do now.

But now I have a larger unit with more bells and whistles....but the owners manuals don't really have good diagrams, that explain about my "antifreeze port"....I will be posting my own questions and pictures on another thread.

P.S. Fresh water drain....on the side of the trailer, where you fill up the fresh water tank, bend down and look underneath the trailer....you will see a tube sticking down, with a cap. Twist it off, drain. Good luck from this gal!
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks,"Gal" Lol. I agree the manuals suck !!! I can't believe they can't print manuals for each unit, ( How Cheap ). And having limited mobility I am tending to agree with you and have them show me how.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

On our 3050s which is suppose to be like the 3051 to empty the fresh water tank it is in the basement storage next to the large one, inside the storage is another storage area open that and there is a silver straight type knob you turn that to drain your tank. Then right under the rv is also a low point drain you need to reach under there and unscrew the cap and release that water too before you winterize. Also if you have a filter in the canister for your filtration system you need to take out the filter then put the canister back on. Good Luck !
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

It's not a simple process to get everything addressed. I open all drains including the water heater drain/anode plug, then air blow everything out from the city water connection. Don't forget to bypass the water heater. I installed a winterization kit on my water pump so I can drain the inlet side of the pump (an often forgot area) and pump antifreeze into the system. Don't forget to close the drains first! I use a hand pump to pump anti freeze into the city water port and get that line which may not get backfilled from the onboard pump. The antifeeze you get out of all the faucets, shower, and toilet will protect the P traps and low point areas of the waste tanks. Don't forget the outside shower. You could skip using the on board pump for pumping the main anti freeze in if you have a good pump to fill the system from the city water connection which is what RV shops usually do.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

Thanks all

Ok thanks for all the info. After reading them all posts i realize it is something i think i will leave to dealer. First due to health restrictions the bending to get to ports and valves would be difficult at the least. And second if the dealer does it and a leak occurs then it is his problem.
Again thanks for all the help and can't wait to sell house get on the road and meet some of you guys.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

There are a number of videos (camping world has them under antifreeze as well as several clips on YouTube). Give them a look.
Get a young whipper-snapper to help out with the low points. Twenty bucks in a kids pocket is better than being robbed $100.00+ from a RV shop.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, winter, winterize