Old 11-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #11

We are also heading to Colorado next summer. We have picked out places to stay except at estes park. Anyone stayed at moraine campground?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #12

Randy and Patty. We own a 2016 Sabre 33CKTS pulling a 2015 F250 6.2 gas engine. We tent camped at Mueller State Park about 11 years ago and loved it. Do you feel we could pull our unit up 9,600 feet plus.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #13

When we went 2-1/2 years ago we were pulling a Windjammer travel trailer with an F-150 Ecoboost. Did it without issue. We have yet to pull our Sabre to those kind of altitudes but will find out next summer as we are planning another Colorado vacation. We came in from the Colorado Springs side and if I remember right it was a gradual climb--nothing I would call real steep. The roads were very good so I don't think you will have any issues. That is a beautiful park with unbelievable views--I hope to get back again.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #14

dennismo--we are headed to Estes Park area near the end of June 2016 and have not picked out a campground yet. The closest we have stayed is Golden Gate Canyon State Park near Boulder.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #15

RMNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismo View Post
We are also heading to Colorado next summer. We have picked out places to stay except at estes park. Anyone stayed at moraine campground?
Dennismo, we camped there @10 years ago in our pop-up and it was lovely. I think it was early fall. RMNP has been working on eliminating dead pines (decade + of beetle kill) and closing off portions of campgrounds. Not certain how far they are in this process.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #16
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaber View Post
In Colorado Springs be sure to stay at Cheyenne Mountain state park. Great park, good hiking trails, reasonable price, and great view of Colorado Springs.

We stayed up the road from there at Mountaindale and drove through Cheyenne. We actually liked Mountaindale better *except* for cell service. I only had marginal voice service with a booster and didn't have any cellular data. Fortunately their wifi was almost passable.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #17

A true Colorado experience requires boondocking and not hanging out at campgrounds. Most Colorado campers who disperse camp consider campgrounds equivalent to motels.

Nothing better than setting up in the backcountry, enjoying the lovely scenery, and using the camper as a base to hike, mountain bike, ATV, and site see.

IM me for suggestions. I prefer not to share my "secret" spots publicly.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #18

I prefer the western slope over the divide and disperse camp use solar and gen some.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
If you are going to be in southwest Colorado, you may as well hop across the border to Moab, Ut. Arches and Canyon lands National Parks are there. I do second the motion for the Telluride too. Ouray, Silverton, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National park are there. You can ride the Durango to Silverton RR too

We stayed at the Durango Riverside Resort and RV Park two years ago and loved it! Since we don't have a toad (yet), we had to rent a car. If you book early chances are you can get a site right on the river. Free movies and popcorn to boot at night.

If you do visit Moab, be sure to visit Dead Horse State Park! I think it's as beautiful (if not...moreso) then the Grand Canyon. Hit the Arches National Park in the morning and the State Park late afternoon. There's another RV park on the river in Moab that's pretty grand too.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #20

Colorado

I agree, Telluride is our favorite!..Look up which Festivles will be there during your travels...they are awesome....really great little town.
The summer of 2013, my husband and I were "camp hosts" at Lightner Creek Campground two hours outside of Telluride....in a beautiful town, called Durango!
Excellent,well maintained campground..shady areas, along a creek...handles the big rigs,heated pool and wonderful owners.
It's only 5 minutes from town..The Anamos river runs along the towns border.
We tubed down the river and also has an excellent bike trail along the river. You can take the train from there to Silverton also, which is another great little town.
Mesa Verde, Cotez and Dolores are all right around that area. Have fun.