Old 11-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #11

This thread will save me a lot of research! We're also considering a trip to Yellowstone & Teton next year as well.

Is it worth changing campgrounds within the park? We are going to try to get a site at Fishing Bridge because of hook ups but are fine with dry camping for a couple of days. We've got a 29' Class A & tow a jeep.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #12

If you're towing a jeep you can use it to go around the park....

I strongly recommend that you take a full day and drive to Lamar Valley up in the northeastern part of the park.... A herd of abt 800 bison summer up there and there is also a huge wolf pack that stays there also... The drive to it is beautiful as well.... I took my grandsons (11 & 14) and they loved it... We're headed for Alaska for the fourth time next summer... Will be taking the boys there as well....

Old 11-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #13

This is the draft plan. What do you think?

At this moment I'm considering arriving Sunday June 17th and staying at the Grizzly for 3 nights.
2 days we will see as much on the west side of the park.

Wed June 20th we will move to Fishing Bridge full hookup 40' spave plus vehicle for 4 nights. We will leave Sun June 24th.
4 days to visit the rest of the park and leave heading to south entrance.

This is the 3rd week in June and a week before 4th of July so I think this will be a time that has a few less people maybe.
I figure the days in Grizzly we can also stockup on food and drink before moving into the park. Did I leave anything out?

If DW agrees I will make the reservations next week.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
This thread will save me a lot of research! We're also considering a trip to Yellowstone & Teton next year as well.

Is it worth changing campgrounds within the park? We are going to try to get a site at Fishing Bridge because of hook ups but are fine with dry camping for a couple of days. We've got a 29' Class A & tow a jeep.
Great! If you hear anything new let us know. Are you planning the trip for July/Aug?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #15

Some people really like Fishing Bridge, I personally do not, the camp spots are literally side by side, maybe 8-10 feet between trailers, campfires are not allowed.

Just thought I would offer my opinion.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
Some people really like Fishing Bridge, I personally do not, the camp spots are literally side by side, maybe 8-10 feet between trailers, campfires are not allowed.
Just thought I would offer my opinion.

After my DW and I spoke about it I think we will stay at Grizzly for a few reasons.
1. Nicer
2. In town where we can eat if we want.
3. We get up early so we will get into the park early.
4. We might just take a tour bus and visit the north and south ends then do the rest ourselves.
5. Oh they have free wifi and cable TV at Grizzly.

I'm sure we will modify the plan a little between now and June 2012.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #17

Be forewarned, the Old Faithful viewing area gets very crowded due to all the tour busses that bring sightseers in for each eruption. When you arrive go to the visitors center to see what the approximate time of the next eruption will be. If you have time before or after an eruption stop by the Old Faithful Inn just to look at the huge fireplace and 4 story lobby. The woodword is fantastic. BTW, there is an ice cream shop inside.

My two favorite geyser basins are West Thumb because of its location along Yellowstone Lake, and Midway for its Grand Prismatic pool and Excelsior Geyser pool.

Here are two links to websites that have a ton of information about Yellowstone National Park.

Yellowstone National Park ~ The Total Yellowstone Page

Yellowstone Net -- Yellowstone National Park Lodging, Hotel, Wildlife Information and More

The entrance fee you pay is your admission for both Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. Also, the entrance fee is per vehicle not per person. Old folks like me, who have the Golden Age or America the Beautiful pass get in for free which includes everyone in the vehicle. The pass also get you a 50% discount on camping, except at Fishing Bridge where no discounts are available. Fishing Bridge is the only RV park that has hookups.

Grant Village, Madison, Canyon, Bridge Bay, and Fishing Bridge have sites that can handle your size rig. When you call for reservations, I would recommend exaggerating the length of your setup so that they assign you a better (larger) site.

Donít forget to pack your camera and your binoculars.

ABYSS POOL AT WEST THUMB GEYSER BASIN.

GRAND CANYON OF YELLOWSTONE. LOWER FALLS IN THE BACKGROUND

SECOND FLOOR VERANDA OF THE YELLOWSTONE INN. A GREAT WAY TO VIEW AN ERUPTION.

WE TAKE A PHOTO ANYTIME WE CROSS THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #18

Thanks Oakman (Bob) for your information and great pictures.
Just keep in mind even the worst day camping is sure better than a day at work. My DW and I always look at each trip as a new adventure and to meet others who also enjoy the same in life.

Thanks again Bob for sharing.

John

Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
After my DW and I spoke about it I think we will stay at Grizzly for a few reasons.
1. Nicer
2. In town where we can eat if we want.
3. We get up early so we will get into the park early.
4. We might just take a tour bus and visit the north and south ends then do the rest ourselves.
5. Oh they have free wifi and cable TV at Grizzly.

I'm sure we will modify the plan a little between now and June 2012.

Iggy,
Under normal circumstances, it would take approximately one hour to drive from Grizzly RV park to Canyon Village or Old Faithful. However, a highway construction project has been ongoing between Madison Junction and Norris Junction for several years now, and I don't believe it has been completed. You'll have to check that, but if it's still going, you can expect delays of fifteen to forty five minutes, if that is your chosen route.
I've been to Fishing Bridge Campground but never stayed there so I can't speak to the CG experience, but I can tell you that it is the best location because it is central to everything you want to see.

We've been staying in a condo unit a few miles beyond Grizzly RV Park the past several years, and I can tell you for certain that the daily drive in and out of the park becomes a burden, especially if you get stuck on the road construction delay. We are trying to finalize our vacation plans for 2012 and will probably go back to Yellowstone because it is so wondrous and magnicifcent, but also because my youngest son will work in the park for one, final summer before getting on with his life. Seeing him is my primary purpose for going, but you couldn't ask for a better locale.

My advice on what to see.....everything and anything. You can't go wrong. You are in for such a great expereience. Have fun.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #20

I stayed at Fishing Bridge this past Summer and hated it.... Wished I had stayed at Bay Bridge instead... Be warned - Fishing Bridge is like staying in a parking lot (MH's crammed side by side - abt 5' apart) and not all have electricity... No electricity = no heat at night due to no generator between 8pm and 8am. Thank goodness for warm sleeping bags. Got down to 34 at night...

Also stayed at Grant Village and Moran Junction. Our favorite CG was Flagg Ranch just outside South entrance between Yellowstone and Tetons... Full hookups and perfect location for going into both parks...