Slight thread hijacking...
We, too, are planning a Yellowstone trip for next summer. Probably the last 3 weeks in June (there is a slight chance it would be the first 3 weeks). We are driving in from Ohio.
Our current "plan" (changes daily as I read/learn more)...
- Drive 2 "very long" days to reach Badlands
- Spend 2 nights (1.5 days) in Badlands (possibly dry camping)
- Drive to Black Hills
- Spend 3-4 nights in Black Hills (hook-ups)
- Visit Devil's tower (<-- Not sure how we'll squeeze this one in)
- Drive to "somewhere" just outside of Yellowstone (North entrance? East Entrance? Northeast Entrance?) for 1 night
- Drive to Yellowstone's Canyon CG, spend 4-5 nights (dry camping), touring Northern third/half of Yellowstone
- Drive down to Flagg Ranch (or someplace else with hook-ups), spend 4-5 nights, touring Southern Half/Third of Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.
- Drive home via Colorado (2-3 nights).
For non-travel days, our goal is to getup/out early, each picnic lunch, and return to our camper around dinner. I want to make sure we have plenty of downtime each day otherwise we could get burned out and grumpy.
My biggest concern is everyone keeps telling me that Black Hills is "great" and you won't want leave.