Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

2012 Trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons

Hi All,
I have read all of the past messages about visits to Yellowstone Park and the Grand Tetons.

My wife and I are planning a June 2012 trip to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone from Arizona. This will be our first trip there.
I'm considering staying at the Grizzly RV Campground outside the west entrance to Yellowstone.
If the final dates fit your schedule and you want to join us you are more than welcome to join us.
Camping is always more enjoyable with new friends, especially if they are FROG's.

Yellowstone Questions:

1. What would be the earliest time of the year to visit without any chance of new snow falls?

2. How many days would you feel is adaquate to see Yellowstone? I have heard 4 days to 7 days. What do you think?

3. What park sites are on your "A LIST" that must not be missed?

4. I have heard spending 8 to 10 hours a day in the park is resonable time. Does this sound right?

5. I've heard you need to get into the park early to avoid the traffic during peak season.

6. Is finding a place to eat a problem in the park or should we bring a cooler?

Grand Teton Questions:

1. What RV parks have you stayed visiting the Grand Tetons?

2. Is the drive thru the Grand Tetons to Yellowstone difficult with a 30ft long 5th with a 12 ft 6 inch roof height? Hills are not a problem but narrow roads with hairpin curves are.

3. Should we drive from Jackson Hole west into Idaho and then back in to the west entraance of Yellowstone?

ANY other information you may want to add that all will find helpful for their first visit.

Thank you all in advance.

John & DiAnne
Surprise Arizona

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #2

Hi John.......My sister and BIL have a 40' Class A and they already have reservations at Grizzley for the July 4th week in 2012. We have heard that they are very busy in July.
Have a great trip.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

Yellowstone Questions:

1. What would be the earliest time of the year to visit without any chance of new snow falls? from what i've read, late June to even be able to get in

2. How many days would you feel is adaquate to see Yellowstone? I have heard 4 days to 7 days. What do you think? 7 days minimum, we were there a week and never even got up to the north end of the park. i'd recommend at least 10 days

3. What park sites are on your "A LIST" that must not be missed? the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, West Basin, South Basin, Old Faithful area, with the Grand Lodge

4. I have heard spending 8 to 10 hours a day in the park is resonable time. Does this sound right? yes, that's reasonable

5. I've heard you need to get into the park early to avoid the traffic during peak season. we went after Labor Day and it was still somewhat busy for my tastes. July can have nearly a million visitors. the problem with visiting non-peak times is that some events and campgrounds are closed. after Labor Day, the Chuckwagon ride was gone and some of the larger campgrounds closed.

6. Is finding a place to eat a problem in the park or should we bring a cooler? the park is so vast, you should bring a cooler

Grand Teton Questions:

1. What RV parks have you stayed visiting the Grand Tetons? we stayed at the Colter Bay CG, not their RV park. we felt it offered a much more private and natural setting. plus they had generator loops

2. Is the drive thru the Grand Tetons to Yellowstone difficult with a 30ft long 5th with a 12 ft 6 inch roof height? Hills are not a problem but narrow roads with hairpin curves are. the road from Jackson to YNP, doesn't go thru the Tetons, it parallels it. it's easily wide enough but it takes much longer to drive, than it looks on the map

3. Should we drive from Jackson Hole west into Idaho and then back in to the west entraance of Yellowstone? no, not worth it, just head north from Jackson to the South end of YNP. you might want to stay at Grant, it's huge and is next to Yellowstone Lake

ANY other information you may want to add that all will find helpful for their first visit. take as much time there as you can. people underestimate how big it is and how long it takes to drive around in it
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

Iggy....

Did the exact trip this past summer... Spent 13 days with that including visits to Jackson Hole, Tetons and Yellowstone.... Did this in a 30' MH pulling a 8' cargo trailer.... This was our 6th trip up there....

Would be more than happy to talk to you abt it if your interested.... Let me know - ernest917@hotmail.com.... I can send you my itinerary if your interested.... Has campgrounds, phone numbers, etc...

FYI: all campgrounds in Yellowstone fill up fast so I'd recommend you call and reserve sites in the ones that will take reservations - Moran Junction, Fishing Bridge, etc... Don't think you can drive in and find a place, because it won't happen... Best time to go is mid-July because the bug hatch is over and fishing is better as well...

There's a couple of campgrounds that are really great and I'd highly recommend them... Colter Bay is good but Flagg Ranch ( full hookups) is fantastic... Really gives you the feeling of being in the great outdoors...
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Lottery Non-Winner

We're going in mid July.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

Best time to go.... Crowded but that's Yellowstone.... Just be prepared and dint let it bother you and you'll have z great time....
Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #7

I ditto what bikendan said.

Went we visit Yellowstone we always go in late August, early September when most kids are back in school and the crowds are somewhat smaller. Even so, you still might find yourself driving around the parking lots looking for a place to park at the major sites.

Touring the park takes a lot of time so donít get in a rush. The park is HUGE and the speed limit ranges from 35 to 45 MPH, and in some cases as low as 25 MPH. The roads are two lane with very little shoulder. Winters are tough on the roads so I can almost guarantee there will be major road construction in some portion of the park. Animal jams cause traffic delays too. There are two types of animal jams, the first is caused by the sighting of a bear, wolf, or other unusual animal, and everyone stops to look and take pictures. The other type of animal jam is usually caused by buffalo. Large herds crossing the road will bring traffic to a stop until they all cross. The buffalo also like to walk down the middle of the blacktop and this can really back traffic up. Bring your patience with you when you visit, so relax, take your time, and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Also keep in mind that the colder the air temperature the more steam the geysers and hot springs produce. On chilly mornings it can be almost impossible to see the water in the springs or the geysers.

It can snow every month of the year at Yellowstone, especially at the higher elevations, but from late June thru September it will melt very quickly during the day. Speaking of elevation, depending on what part of the park you are in, you will be anywhere from 6000 to 10,000 feet above sea level. Drink a lot of water to help avoid altitude sickness. When we go to the mountains I plan nothing for our first day so that my spouse can adjust to the thin air. She is very susceptible to altitude sickness.

We usually stay at Colter Bay RV park (the full hookup park) to see the Tetons and southern portion of Yellowstone and then move up to Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone to visit the northern portion of the park. The commercial parks are very pricey but you have to remember that they have to make their profit during the very short tourist season.

I know this post sounds very negative but if you take your time and donít get in a rush you will have a memorable experience. I personally consider Yellowstone and the Tetons the most beautiful and unique place in the lower 48 states.

Although there are restaurants in the park, we always take a cooler and eat our lunch at one of the picnic areas.

A word of caution to anyone who reads this post and plans to visit Yellowstone, the animals are wild. The buffalo look docile but more people are injured by buffalo every year than any other animal in Yellowstone.

You said you read all the Yellowstone posts so Iím sure you saw some of my photos. Here are a few more.

DAISY GEYSER SHOWING HER STUFF.

MORNING GLORY POOL.

SOMETIMES BEING STOPPED IN CONSTRUCTION TRAFFIC ISN'T A BAD THING.

DON'T DO THIS.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #8

Campgrounds inside Yellowstone

I was just wondering we wanted to camp inside Yellowstone park what Campground do you know would be ok for a 30ft 5th wheel and truck?
I know they don't have any utilities except a dump station. I have a generator but they say it only could run til 8PM.

Grant Village is one to stop on the way into the park from Arizona.
The campgrounds can handle 40' total size
Bridge Bay
Fishing Bridge
Grant

Canyon can handle up to 30' it says

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:40 AM   #9

Yellowstone Questions:

1. What would be the earliest time of the year to visit without any chance of new snow falls? As stated above, snow can and will fall every month, I have even seen snow in July and August, chances are minimal late June through August

2. How many days would you feel is adaquate to see Yellowstone? I have heard 4 days to 7 days. What do you think? Sounds about right, I have been there every year for the past 4 years and have yet to see the whole park,

3. What park sites are on your "A LIST" that must not be missed? I stay away from the area of Fishing Bridge, I just don't care for that area, everything else is a Must Do, but especially Old Faithfull, Lower Falls and upper Falls of the Yellowstone river tops my list.

4. I have heard spending 8 to 10 hours a day in the park is resonable time. Does this sound right? I've been there 4 years in a row for several days at a time and still don't call myself an expert of the park, there is so much to see and experience

5. I've heard you need to get into the park early to avoid the traffic during peak season. [COLOR="red"]This past year we went in early, on the road at 6am, in addition to less traffic, there is more opportunity to see the wildlife, particularily if you want to see bears, The animals tend to migrate north as the season progresses[COLOR="red"]

6. Is finding a place to eat a problem in the park or should we bring a cooler? I have always taken coolers, there are restaurants at the major attractions, crowded at snack time

Grand Teton Questions:

1. What RV parks have you stayed visiting the Grand Tetons? Colter Bay, the campground side, elect hookups, this is a very nice campground

2. Is the drive thru the Grand Tetons to Yellowstone difficult with a 30ft long 5th with a 12 ft 6 inch roof height? Hills are not a problem but narrow roads with hairpin curves are. No probloms, the speed limits are low and you are amongst many other TV/TT rigs, there are many tour buses that need more clearance and turning radius than we do, you will be fine

3. Should we drive from Jackson Hole west into Idaho and then back in to the west entraance of Yellowstone? No, the road out of Jackson Hole into Idaho (Hwy 22) is probably the steepest grade and sharpest turns in the region.

ANY other information you may want to add that all will find helpful for their first visit. Park passes are $25/week, or $50/Annual, the annual is good for 12 months from date of purchase, if you time it right you can use it again next year. Personally I like Yellowstone much better than Teton, Jackson Hole is very expensive, where West Yellowstone still has the feel of a mountain town, both are very touristy, but West Yellowstone is more relaxed.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I was just wondering we wanted to camp inside Yellowstone park what Campground do you know would be ok for a 30ft 5th wheel and truck?
I know they don't have any utilities except a dump station. I have a generator but they say it only could run til 8PM.

Grant Village is one to stop on the way into the park from Arizona.
The campgrounds can handle 40' total size
Bridge Bay
Fishing Bridge
Grant

Canyon can handle up to 30' it says
i saw rigs your size in Madison and Grant. Bridge Bay has sites big enough i think.
Fishing Bridge DOES have utilities, including sewer. Xanterra's website no longer shows anything about electrical not being available. FB is the place for big rigs and the only CG in YNP with hookups of any kind.
i'd contact Xanterra about the current situation with the electric upgrades.
it's in a great location in the park, if you don't mind how close your neighbor is. for me, it ain't worth the hookups.
i would have liked to stay at Canyon but it was closed when we got there. also, not sure if your rig will fit there.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote