Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #21

A perfect trip would include the train ride AND a stay in the park.

The train ride is a fantastic experience, and the two hours each way are filled with entertainment. You can purchase a package which includes overnight stays in the canyon, or just go for the day.

Staying in the park is a more intimate experience, but you do have to put up with elbow to elbow people in the main parts, especially during the summer. So you have to be willing to hike a bit to get away from that.

You can also stay in Williams and drive to the park everyday, but it is a fairly long drive, about 1.5 hours to go 60 miles.

I find it hard to believe folks would disparage the train ride experience (as in some of the posts above). My only thought is that they never tried it. I advise folks who have never been, or who have limited time, to take the train. They never regret it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #22

I'd recommend late spring. Monsoon season starts in July and that could put a damper on things.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We did it in '16 and had reservations at trailer village, but they didn't have water (unknown reason) so we cancelled and stayed in Flagstaff. We drove to Williams and took the train in. Had there been openings we would have stayed there in Williams. Next time I think we will stay in Williams take the train to the canyon and spend a night or two in one of the lodges. We were there in June and it got cold and wet in a hurry. We all bought sweatshirts, but shed them later in the day.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #24

Disparage. Maybe, but I enjoyed the park after the daytime crowds had left, it was nice. And we did not have to worry about parking a vehicle during our entire stay. We got out early before the crowds got bad, could hang out at the campground during the crush and have lunch, and go back out later. Seeing the sunset from the rim was nice. We could drive out to the east and visit the watch tower and the tusyan ruins which the bus system does not go to. Train ride, you would really have to put up with the summer crush as you would be in the thick of it when the train arrives and without a vehicle, you are relegated to the bus areas only which is where the crowds were the heaviest.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #25

I highly recommend the helicopter ride over and in the canyon.
tjasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #26
Olemax

Grand Canyon Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2!!!!! Very nice RV park. The train is a must do, but get reservations early, even in off season. We loved Williams and spent most evenings at Cruiser's Route 66 Cafe sitting in the patio listening to live entertainment.

We spent a week there in March, going back again soon.

Grand Canyon Caverns, Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, and Jerome, are all a short drive away.
X2 on Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott, and Jerome. If you like scenery and history, try the train ride from Jerome.
2006 Sierra 2500HD CC SB (sold)

olemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Disparage. Maybe, but I enjoyed the park after the daytime crowds had left, it was nice. And we did not have to worry about parking a vehicle during our entire stay. We got out early before the crowds got bad, could hang out at the campground during the crush and have lunch, and go back out later. Seeing the sunset from the rim was nice. We could drive out to the east and visit the watch tower and the tusyan ruins which the bus system does not go to. Train ride, you would really have to put up with the summer crush as you would be in the thick of it when the train arrives and without a vehicle, you are relegated to the bus areas only which is where the crowds were the heaviest.
I have to agree with you. Since the seasons are short in many of the NP's out west it is impossible to avoid the crowds that the summers bring. We enjoyed the mornings, late afternoons and evenings as well. By staying in the parks, we did not have to wait in lines or spend hours in the car commuting. Each park has its own intimacy.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #28

Been lurking on this forum for months, first post. We are doing this trip the 2nd weekend of March, have a reservation at the Williams CG. Can't wait to check everything out! Keep the good info coming!
uncbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbearfan View Post
Been lurking on this forum for months, first post. We are doing this trip the 2nd weekend of March, have a reservation at the Williams CG. Can't wait to check everything out! Keep the good info coming!
Williams has some nice little shops and some pretty good eateries also. In the summer they had patios open and a few had entertainment.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #30

It seems we are too late to get reservations for the June/July time frame. We do not wish to be there during their Monsoon Season so it is being pushed back until 2019.

Newest plan is to visit Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas this year.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #31

Second on using the GC campground to see the Grand Canyon area. Go in mid-may or very early June. We've been both times and never overly busy. We spent 2 days at the south rim area a couple years ago (4th time), and still saw things we hadn't before. If you get lucky, you may see the Condors flying overhead, very neat to watch and see.

Also, if you like hiking, the Bright Angel trail is a good hike, but do it early in the year before it gets hot, and fewer people on the trail.

To visit other places outside of Grand Canyon, I'd move to something near Williams or Flagstaff to cut the long drives from the park (or to the park).

Some other real interesting places are Walnut Canyon & Wupatki near Flagstaff,. Also, the Muesum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff is very interesting. A nice drive is the Painted Desert on the way out to Flagstaff. If you go to the painted desert, it's one-way and I'd suggest north to south. The park is off interstate 40, and has part of the original route 66 still there.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote