Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #21

We are planning to leave KENTUCKY by May10, headed out on this great adventure also.
We FROGS must keep in touch with each other and share highlights as we are exploring ALASKA!
This thread is interesting to keep up with and read of your trips and tips. I am sure we will cross paths with several of you .
If we identify ourselves at each campground, possibly the hosts or employees will direct us to each other?? Do we have FROG flags we can fly? Maybe a rendezvous somewhere?
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #22

I'm sure most of you have heard of this site, lot's of info. We went in 2010 going to do it again sometime.

North to Alaska
Old 02-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #23
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
I'm sure most of you have heard of this site, lot's of info. We went in 2010 going to do it again sometime.

North to Alaska
Awesome site! Thanks!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #24

There are lots of Frog flags and decals available, I found lots of stuff on Amazon.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #25

If you go to the FROG site they have a FROG shop! Flags/decals/ect.! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #26

Took the trip in '99 first year we retired and again in '04. Both times we had Lance truck campers. Loads of fun. As mentioned above, go up on the Alaska Hwy. and return on the Cassier. We took side trips to Haines, Dempster Hwy, Telegraph Creek, Prince Rupert, Hyder/Stewart. and Kitimat. A couple of neat sites not mentioned yet: Ice Museum in Fairbanks and the huge aluminum smelter at Kitimat.
We came back in '04 via Top of the World but it was closed due to a fire. At midnight they opened the road and we drove through the fire in the dark. No scenery but it was neat seeing all the burning trees. No stops were allowed but we had to stop a couple of times for potty breaks as did everyone else. Took the ferry across the Yukon to Dawson City which we enjoyed a lot. From the dome at Dawson we could see smoke from fires in AK and Yukon. Around 2pm the fires all "blew up" about the same time and huge brown mushroom clouds formed at each one. It was an unbelievable sight.
Now that we have the Lexington I am really starting to get the bug to go again.
Don't rush. We left Fla. early May and returned home end Oct.
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #27

Here is a link for the F.R.O.G. stuff.
http://www.costore.com/forestriver/p...thumbnails.asp
Old 02-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #28

Laird Hot Springs, BC before you get to Watson Lake is a worthwhile stop. Have driven it 4 times and every trip is different! Enjoy!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
After Calgary I might jog west and pick up rt22 it is supposed to be pretty scenic.
FYI...there are no good RV parks in the immediate vicinity of Calgary. If you do plan on staying around here try NW of the city for the town of Cochrane. There is a nice little site there (Bow River CG) on the side of the Bow River. Town has pretty much all of the amenities you'd need for a break in traveling. A little further up Hwy 22 (The Cowboy Trail) is Sundre. The best RV Park there is Coyote Creek RV resort.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
FYI...there are no good RV parks in the immediate vicinity of Calgary. If you do plan on staying around here try NW of the city for the town of Cochrane. There is a nice little site there (Bow River CG) on the side of the Bow River. Town has pretty much all of the amenities you'd need for a break in traveling. A little further up Hwy 22 (The Cowboy Trail) is Sundre. The best RV Park there is Coyote Creek RV resort.
We will overnight in Shelby, Mt and try to make it to Rocky Mountain House but Sundre looks like a nice place to stop as well.
If we were to stay on Highway 2 I was looking at a place in Red Deer. RV There Yet Campground
Then a place in Taylor.

Peace Island Park | District of Taylor
We will have found our road pace by then I hope and I might not get to Alaska as there is so much beautiful places to see in Canada.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #31

Quote:
If we were to stay on Highway 2 I was looking at a place in Red Deer.
Shelby to Red Deer is about 5 - 6 hours driving and to be honest I'd swerve Red Deer too. By all means take Hwy 2 north through Calgary but then come off at Olds and head over to the 22 and Sundre. From there you can go north towards Rocky Mountain House.

Once the season starts up again I'm heading to Caroline, just north of Sundre to check out Boundary RV Park (BoundaryRvPark.com). I'm also very interested in Panther River (Panther River | Escape into the Wild) which looks really nice but much closer to the mountains.

Last year I looked (didn't stay) at a couple of places around Rocky Mountain House but their websites are far more flattering than the real thing. Sundre has only one small IGA grocery store but going through Olds there is a large Walmart and a large Extra Foods both with acres of parking and access for RV's, on the main road going through the town.

PS.....cheapest gas/diesel is at Westward Ho (north side of the road) about 2km's west of the 22/27 intersection and is super easy to pull into with either a large RV or MH.

Enjoy the trip

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #32

Is the ALCAN too much for a 36+ foot fifth wheel? I'm also wondering if camp grounds are pretty much available every couple hundred miles or if dry camping along the road is an option.
After reading some of these posts I'm leaning toward getting an auxiliary fuel tank for the truck.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #33

The AlCan is fine except for 80 miles between Destruction Bay and Beaver creek. No pavement there. Very rough early until they get it all graded and filled by mid July. If you go no more than 20 those 80 miles you will be fine. That area can cause serious damage to those in a hurry. We found fuel every couple hundred miles. Campgrounds about the same if you want hookups. Government campgrounds are available but no services. You can always fine a good place to spend the night. Watch for frost heaves. Some are marked some are not. They can cause damage. You will learn to spot them if you aren't going 90 mph. Get the Milepost invaluable info and worth every penny. You will know exactly where everything is the whole way. Have fun.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #34

In Alaska you can pull off and camp along the roadways, There are many pull off areas. Some have truly spectacular views. We did this quite a few times on our trips. Take your time and have a wonderful time. Cant wait to get back there once again.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #35

Okay here we are in Tok Alaska at last. Whew what a beautiful trip.
No real good pull offs in AB or BC for boondocking. Most all roads lead to gas well heads or compressor stations and are posted. BC and Yukon have many sites posted as no overnight camping allowed.
So with all that said we stayed in RV parks in Milk River, Rocky Mountain House, Pink Mountain, Grand Prairie, Toad River, Watson Lake, Yukon CG after Whitehorse, Cottonwood @ Kluane Lake and Tok.
Lots of rough breaks between Whitehorse and Haines Junction. From the bottom of Kluane Lake to the border it is a mixup of rough breaks and construction. Actually the gravel construction is the smoothest. And it ain't much better road the first stratch in to Alaska. But we made it no problem and loved every mile of it. There are a lot of BIG units on the road of every size shape and make.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Okay here we are in Tok Alaska at last. Whew what a beautiful trip.
No real good pull offs in AB or BC for boondocking. Most all roads lead to gas well heads or compressor stations and are posted. BC and Yukon have many sites posted as no overnight camping allowed.
So with all that said we stayed in RV parks in Milk River, Rocky Mountain House, Pink Mountain, Grand Prairie, Toad River, Watson Lake, Yukon CG after Whitehorse, Cottonwood @ Kluane Lake and Tok.
Lots of rough breaks between Whitehorse and Haines Junction. From the bottom of Kluane Lake to the border it is a mixup of rough breaks and construction. Actually the gravel construction is the smoothest. And it ain't much better road the first stratch in to Alaska. But we made it no problem and loved every mile of it. There are a lot of BIG units on the road of every size shape and make.
I envy you. Wish we could have gone again this year but personal things kept us home. It is a great trip. It is the ultimate rv trip as far as I'm concerned.
I have been wondering if Willard is still alive at Willards Rv repair and towing there in Tok. He wasn't in the best of shape. Had some repairs done there after getting beat up on the road. Have fun. My favorite part of Alaska is the Kenai peninsula but it's all great.