Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Albuquerque Balloon Fest Help

Has any one done the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, we are planning for the 2013 festival. This may sound early to plan for but they start taking reservations on October 22, 2012. Any info would be great but these are my main questions. Extra info, this will probably be a onetime trip and I will have two young-ish kids that will be home schooled those 9 days.
Presidential camping area, these sites are expensive but are they worth it? These sites are up on a bluff and should give a great view but do all the sites have a great view or only the few on the edge of the bluff. I have not found a map of sites nor do I fully understand the topography of the sites. I would love to be having smores and looking down on the night time balloon After Glow.
Dry camping on the Festival grounds, are they as noisy (generators, partying late) and dirty as many web reviews have mentioned?
Planning to do a balloon trip, has any one done this and is there a better day of the festival to do this? Maybe the day they do the Special Shape balloons or do I want to be on the ground that day to see the shapes better?
Heard about Atom bomb site tour being out that way and they only open it up a few times a year. Is it worth doing, thinking my kids would be bored but would be a good historical trip?
Other than Grand Canyon(done it twice in last 4yrs) where should we see within 200ml of NM(Albuquerque)? How about Petrified Forest National Park, though we have seen petrified trees before and donít find them that exciting, but itís a National Park and on the way. We will only have one maybe two extra days and would like to not miss something amazing in NewMexico, being we donít live there. Something more than just a great campground or lake, we are great at boondocking and backcountry or could be historical. Just for too much information: did the Utah Loop, over 3 weeks and loved it, love the slot canyons in Escalante so much but itís a little out of the way, maybe. Carlsbad Caverns is on my list but could be too far, 300ml in wrong direction.
Thanks for any help

YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
I can not answer your questions at this time.

I did sign up for the FROG group's event to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and the ballon fest. They arranged all camping ans activities for a single fee. You can see more details on the Forest River Forum.

They may organize the trip for 2013.

gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
A new project is the Spaceport America. Not sure the distance but the kids may be interested.

Spaceport America | Your Invitation to Space

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
There is always the White Sand 5 hours south. Great for the kids to play in the sand, not get wet like they would on the beach. Enjoy the balloon fest. They had it in Middletown Ohio for many years before they moved it out west. I would go all the time. The night glow is the crowd favorite. Hope this helps and have a great time
DougP47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I think this may be the map you are looking for. I found it on the website.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote