Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Alpine,Az next week

We are pulling out and heading up to Alpine, Az on Sunday June 15th for a week in the White mountains. Going to try this place. Alpine Village RV Park

I have boondocked up around there several years ago but haven't been there since the Wallow Fire blackened a lot of that country a few years ago.
We are taking the Polaris Ranger and running into the back country to check out some of my old haunts.

Right now there are fire restrictions in several of the Az National Forests.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

Can't really say this RV park is all that great. Lot of junky looking full timers and the park has a pretty good slope to it. The pads are benched in and level with a small concrete pad.

Now for the fun part. We went out on our Polaris Ranger today and I wanted to try a trail my hunting buddy told me about. It got tore up pretty bad from flooding where the Wallow fire damaged a lot of the country. I was pretty rough and there were some pretty rough crossings in several spots. Finally came to a tree across the trail that we couldn't get around so I had to turn around and come back down. She likes running the forest roads but doesn't like it when the trail starts to get what I call fun.

Other than that having a great break from work.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #3

Have you ever stayed at the Apache Trout campground at Big Lake close to Alpine? There are numerous large spots with full hookups and it's much nicer than any RV park in Alpine.
doedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doedwards View Post
Have you ever stayed at the Apache Trout campground at Big Lake close to Alpine? There are numerous large spots with full hookups and it's much nicer than any RV park in Alpine.

I will be checking it out. SWMBO wanted internet and it is as slow as na old dial up.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

OK we took a drive today and came back through Big Lake. Made a drive through of the CG's there and that Apache Trout CG looks real nice. I haven't been through this area since way back in 87'. Sure have fixed things up a lot.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #6

Just an old freight hauler. Scaled out at 12,500 at the cotton gin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow Rig.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	55700  
Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

Only negative to the Big Lake area is no cell or internet service. Most people can get cell service at the entrance to Apache Trout CG or behind the store.
doedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #8

I think you are in the campground my grandmother goes out to every summer. She's got a little 5th wheel. If you meet a sweet Texan great grandma with red hair, named Bert, please tell her hello from her granddaughter Jessica. She's got great stories to tell of many years rv'ing with my Papa in their airstreams. Alpine has been her summer home for many many years. Wish I was there with her- beautiful!!

2014 Surveyor SPT295
Texasblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #9

Saw the photo of Blackrock at the overlook on the Devil's Highway Rt 191 now, used to be Rt 666. He is one brave sole, I finished a trip on the motorcycle over the same route and have had enough curves and switchbacks to last me for he year. Even Clifton AZ looked good at the end of that ride.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #10

The Coronado Trail aka devils highway is my home. I am a field mechanic for Az Dept of Trans and maintain and repair all of the departments vehicles and equipment in this area. I work it in all weather conditions night or day. Winter times I am on call to keep the snow plows up and running. I know every inch of this road up in those mountains. Been doing it for 23 years now. I could tell some stories.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #11

In truth is was a fun ride. The friends on the trip were from back east and they talk of the Dragon's tail, Deals Gap, 318 curves in 11 miles. I think the Devil's Highway is just as great a ride. You probably know how many curves there are on it. We only saw two vehicles on the road after starting down from the overlook. Saw more cows in the road than cars on it.

I bet you do have some great stories, be careful out there on that road.

PS: I was just camping at Big Lake last weekend, it is a great area. We stayed in Grayling campground, the spots there are a little more treed and private.

High Country is offline   Reply With Quote