Old 04-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
We loved Devil's Canyon in Utah, Mesa Verde and Royal Gorge, Valley of the Gods, Sedona but watch out for the pink Jeeps. If you are there on the right day, near Carrizozo NM, go to see the Trinity Monument. You'll be glad you made the trip.

I Roo The Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
I Break Everything
We've made that trip numerous times. We just got back from skiing in Taos, NM. Other trips were through NM, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, California, etc. I start with this website first. Once I get an idea of the route and area, I use:
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

rvparkreviews has info about most parks across the US. I've found most reviews pretty accurate. Parks range from deep boonies, national and state parks and parks in the concrete jungle of the New York City area. You may not find every answer but it's a good place to start.

We were tent campers forever. That ended about 10+ years ago. We went from a travel trailer, two 5th wheels, now we move around in a motorhome. Our very first trip in our TT rving was to NM from Texas. We stayed in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Demming, Alto, then back down through Carlsbad. All planned through the RV Park Reviews Website.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
As far as your question on the weather in Flagstaff, most of the homes here do not have air conditioning. It is much cooler than the rest of Arizona. We are at approximately 7,000 ft in town, and the peaks are just under 13,000 ft. One year we had 4 days where it got over 90 but 208 days were it was 32 or below. When the sun goes down it cools off quickly.

You will be very comfortable camping in the forest and will most likely see deer, elk, antelope and turkey as you get further into the forest.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
That's what I was thinking. Or hoping anyway. Thanks for the info.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #15
If you ever want to give yourself an option we stayed here.
Alpen Rose RV Park Durango, Colorado - Home
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
If you don't like camp grounds NM, AZ & UT are hard to beat. Just pick a spot in a national forest or on BLM land and enjoy. Hook ups ,water elec etc just not available except at camp grounds. Go to my face book (Tom Neill Oklahoma) albums, camping NM & Arizona. for a look of what its like.
Tom & Laura USAF Ret Smstg
1995 2500 5.9 Cummins 5 sp 3.54 diff
2011 Coachman Catalina 22FB
Days Camped 2016 50

nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
From San Antonio

Just got back from tent camping in Lincoln National Forest in NM Many spots to pitch your camper off the grid near Lake Bonito. Also trailer parks close by with Electricity and water.
We also stayed at Valley of Fires near Carrizozo, NM. Awesome place with plenty of spots to put a TT. Lava flow about 10 miles wide by 125 miles long.
If your a retired person such as I get the Senior Pass for $10 to all the Federal and National Parks free with a discount on sites.
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #18
Don't miss the opportunity to camp on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is remote, and not nearly as crowded as the South Rim. From there, it is an easy drive to Zion NP or farther north to Bryce Canyon. Lots of nice RV camps in both locations. We really like Zion River RV Park, but it is designed primarily for large RV's like ours. Great staff and amenities. Don't miss a visit to Santa Fe, NM, on your trip. We've, stayed at Trailer Ranch RV Park more than once. It is convenient to the old town area of Santa Fe. Visit the old central square, and have a meal at the Plaza Cafe - Southwest cuisine at its best!
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #19
Lots of great from this group. I really appreciate it. With all the links and suggestions I think I'll be able to come up with a good plan.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 AM   #20
Southern Utah

We tent camped southern Utah in June a few years back, and it gets pretty hot during the day. We would camp in the Forest, and then drive down to the National Parks. There are some nice lakes with hookups at some of the Forest Service campgrounds.

mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote