Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #21

I went in July last year. Went from Seattle area east on I-90. We made reservations at the Spokane KOA for a few nights. When we got there we started our next stop for a couple days, all accross 90. Only place was close was around Deadwood.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #22
2012 Solera

We went through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in mid June (about a month ago). If you are willing the go without hookups things are somewhat better. We stayed at Coulter Bay in Tetons and at Lewis Lake in Yellowstone, both without reservations.
Some thoughts -
- Checkout at both NPs, as I remember, is at 11am. Getting to the campground around that time increases the probability of finding a site someone has just vacated.
- Often a "occupied" slip is left on a campsite that has been vacated. I check the dates on the slips of interesting sites.
- "Campground Full" signs are not always updated quickly. Often worth checking, especially on a Monday morning.
- My wife is disabled and we carry her placard/documentation. Parks often have a few disabled sites, which may be available when the CG is otherwise full.
- The size of the Solera (24 ft) allows access to some CGs not available to longer rigs. As I remember, Lewis Lake is one such CG.
- We ask at the entrance gate about campsite availability. Response is often "I don't get official updates, but I heard there are sites available at...". These inputs have proven mostly correct for us.

Has worked for us - your experience might vary!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #23
cjearle

Fishing bridge is the only CG that has full hook ups with in Yellowstone. Stayed there 2 years ago. We had reservations. It is a very tight squeeze and hard to put your slides out. we got our slide but the awning could not go out.
I would not attempt with out reservations.
We said if we were to go back out west we want to go to Cody, WY! Drove thru and looks fascinating!!
Good luck.
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #24

Try to see the battle of Little Bighorn , custers last stand and Devils tower.
RETIREDATLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #25

You never said how big your 5th wheel is. Yellowstone has length restrictions on how big you can take into their campgrounds. As everyone said in the summer it is very busy and difficult to find a campground. If you plan to be there try and pick what days and I would suggest finding a campground near on of the parks entrances and make a reservation. I would not even try in the park.
Abey1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
We are just returning from a three week trip that included Yellowstone. Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd/
It was crowded and most everything is full. Long lines and little parking available most of the day. We stayed on Easter Standard Time which helps a lot (2 hours ahead of most people). I would not go without reservations, or if possible wait until the 1st week of September.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #27

We'll be there in September but with the mobility issues...thought you might appreciate this link to the day hike trails...some of which are easy and short.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...er15_cross.pdf
Definitely get a reservation somewhere NOW...suggest any of the PRIVATE campgrounds in West Yellowstone vicinity as your best bet for August.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #28

There was some good advice from some of the responders. I lived in the area for 20 plus years. Do NOT stay in the park. It is too crowded and not enough space for your rig, except fishing bridge. I would never stay there because you can not have a fire and is pack in like sardines. Stay out side the park at Colter Bay. If you can not get a space there, at least go there to see the Native American exhibit. Try Flaggs Ranch (Also called the "Headwaters Lodge and RV park). Full hookups, lots of space and fire pits. They are located between Yellowstone Park and Jackson. Also there is a camp ground south of there called, Gros Ventre, (Pronounced Grow Vaunt). that is never full. They do not have full hook ups but alow generators. It is by the Moose Ranger Station. One of my favorite placea is Red Cliff Camp Ground. 5 miles South of Big Sky Montana. 30 Amp service, No water or sewer. Right on the Galitan river and lots of space. It is Quiet. Look for it on recreation.gov Make sure you take a float trip from Jackson Lake to ther Moose Ranger Station with the Tetons as a back drop. It is very calm waters. Don't tell anyone about Red Cliff's. Ha Ha Ha.
Vardo Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #29

Yellowstone Holiday

In May 2013 we stayed at Yellowstone Holiday just north of West Yellowstone. Its on Hebgen lake and had very nice facilities. Showers had heated floors! Drive into the park was not too terrible. We would see bison along Rt 191 Galantin Road north of West Yellowstone. We came in the East Entrance via Cody. There was still ice on Yellowstone Lake.

Yellowstone Holiday | Camping Fishing RV Campgrounds
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:31 AM   #30
Senior Senior Member

We stayed at Fishing Bridge for 4 days in mid May this year. Lots of ice on the lake, got down to mid 20s at night, thought there were too many people at the time and wondered how crazy it would be at peak season. Some roads were not open yet but so glad we went in May.
The beauty of the park makes it worth while.
BTW... newer sewer hookups at the campground mandate the use of the screw in type connections.
I guarantee you will enjoy it so much more in the off season.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #31

We are planning our first trip to Yellowstone for next July. I have already made our reservations for 12 days in Fishing Bridge. I know that it is the busiest part of the season but we are planning a 3 to 4 month trip starting in June from North Carolina. I wanted to stay in the park so that we would not have to fight the traffic at the entrance gate each day. We went to the Grand Canyon last year and stayed in Trailer Village CG for two weeks and this allowed us to really see the Canyon. My wife are I are not able to walk long distances. We plan to go to the Custer area for 12 days and then move to Glacier Bay area for 6 days. Then we will move down to Yellowstone. At this point we have 105 days of camping planned for this trip. I am in the process of making reservations for each stop that we make now so that we know exactly where we will be staying each night. We have a 5th wheel camper and we have not dry camped to this point. I made my reservations for FB last month and they were already filling up for next year then.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #32
Mature Citizen

Visiting Yellowstone

We just returned from there and it is both busy and large. All of the camp grounds in the area were full and I had made reservations in March. The park is really much larger then most people realize. Your wife will be able to see many wonderful things but mobility is an issue at many of the sites. Make sure you have a handicapped parking sticker as they are often the only spots available. I second the thought of going after labor day; the crowds go way down. Enjoy the trip!

Darlene, Ralph and Pippin
LTC (USA Retired), W7TLD
2023 - 199 days, 6966 miles
2013 - 2019 - 901 days & 37171 miles
2013 Georgetown XL 378 TS, 2014 Honda CRV
downeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeyr View Post
The park is really much larger then most people realize. !
This is SO true. If you are staying at Fishing Bridge it can take anywhere from 2-6 hours to get back to from Mammoth Hot springs depending on time and the numbers of animals on the side of the road.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #34

Camping in Yellowstone

The camping trip in June was the first time in over 5 years. Prior to that we had camped there almost every year. There is a big difference. Camp sites have shrunk. Not only can you see everything going on in your neighbor's site but hear it as well. Areas that use to accommodate two campsites now make room for at least three. There are a lot of new rules and restrictions.While the country is always magnificent, as a camping option there are a lot better choices.
Remark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #35

Last year Yellowstone set a record for the number of visitors at over 4 million. This year the numbers are up over that by 10%. The peak months for visiting are June, July, and Aug. There is no way I would try to visit Yellowstone without reservations, either in the park or outside the park.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #36

Just got back from a trip to Yellowstone and finding campgrounds in Cody was horrible. And at 60 bucks a night not cheap but I had not made any reservations and that was the problem. I had always made reservations before. Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is great but 60 bucks a night and I was lucky to get a spot there. Plan ahead is what I always do but it cost me this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #37

Lightbulb Camp near Yellowstone, not in Yellowstone

We camped at Lonesomehurst CG at Hebgen Lake. Needed reservations, but there are open spaces you can camp if you don't need hookups. I liked camping outside the park better than in the park. The drive and the wildlife are part of the adventure. I'd check online for reservations somewhere near Yellowstone. The September advice is right if you can work it. We were caught in June in multiple traffic jams when people stopped for wildlife. Forty minutes was the maximum wait.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #38

We visited Yellowstone last year on a coast to coast and return. We stayed out of West Yellowstone at Caribou Targhee National Forest. There were plenty of spaces available. No hookups, but bathrooms and water. We stopped in Yellowstone for pay showers. The early morning drive across Yellowstone to Cody was spectacular ! The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody was one of the highlights of our trip. Of course the Tetons were amazing. Keep an eye out for wildlife we had a moose wander right through our campsite one evening, and saw a grizzly cross the road early morning in Yellowstone. We camped next to the Buffalo river. Be prepared for sensory overload !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	114403  
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #39

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
This was me trying to get into Old Faithful parking with a 26' motorhome. We gave up and went elsewhere (click the image to see a video). Came back very early a few days later and all was well.

Yellowstone - Old Faithful - Trying to find Motorhome parking by cdrdwd, on Flickr
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #40

Camping in Yellowstone

NoviBill's video captures the traffic problem as it exists every day during the summer. Great video -- lots of frustration for anyone trying to access areas in the Park.
Remark777 is offline   Reply With Quote